Sign in to follow this  
Ant1981

A few things

A few things I've noticed with RC which I hoped for better are things such as, not having to get permission to cross a runway where to taxi to the active runway or the ramp would require so. I know it's not the real world, but in the real world, you'd have to 'hold short of' and then get cleared to cross. And I've also had other aircraft and vehicles taxi past me with no ATC intervention, even other aircraft on approach.Another thing is if you're 5 seconds late in climbing to the next altitude, ATC get angry and 'say again' and if you accidently press '1' instead of '7' when told to exit at the next high speed (which doesn't even exist on most airfields, not all have a high speed exit, that's another thing!), ATC get angry again and say next time stay on the tower frequency until runway is vacated, which is fine, but don't get lippy with 'it says that in such and such book'. Being spoken to like that just doesn't happen in the real world. I'm always listening to real work ATC, live near by quite a few airports, civil and military, so there's alot to listen to.Still a good ATC package mind.Does anyone else have any comment or anything to share that they hoped would be better?

A few things I've noticed with RC which I hoped for better are things such as, not having to get permission to cross a runway where to taxi to the active runway or the ramp would require so. I know it's not the real world, but in the real world, you'd have to 'hold short of' and then get cleared to cross. And I've also had other aircraft and vehicles taxi past me with no ATC intervention, even other aircraft on approach.Another thing is if you're 5 seconds late in climbing to the next altitude, ATC get angry and 'say again' and if you accidently press '1' instead of '7' when told to exit at the next high speed (which doesn't even exist on most airfields, not all have a high speed exit, that's another thing!), ATC get angry again and say next time stay on the tower frequency until runway is vacated, which is fine, but don't get lippy with 'it says that in such and such book'. Being spoken to like that just doesn't happen in the real world. I'm always listening to real work ATC, live near by quite a few airports, civil and military, so there's alot to listen to.Still a good ATC package mind.Does anyone else have any comment or anything to share that they hoped would be better?
v4 doesn't have ground conflict detection. that's fixed in v5start your climb before you ack the request. turn off pilot autoreply also helpsjd

A few things I've noticed with RC which I hoped for better are things such as, not having to get permission to cross a runway where to taxi to the active runway or the ramp would require so.
FYIFrom the FAA; "b. When authorizing an aircraft to taxi to an assigned takeoff runway and hold short instructions are not issued, specify the runway preceded by

v4 doesn't have ground conflict detection. that's fixed in v5start your climb before you ack the request. turn off pilot autoreply also helpsjd
V5, I see. I don't use auto reply.
FYIFrom the FAA; "b. When authorizing an aircraft to taxi to an assigned takeoff runway and hold short instructions are not issued, specify the runway preceded by "taxi to," and issue taxi instructions. This authorizes the aircraft to "cross" all runways/taxiways which the taxi route intersects except the assigned takeoff runway. This does not authorize the aircraft to "enter" or "cross" the assigned takeoff runway at any point" (FAA Controllers Handbook Chapter 3).If the runway is not in use, you will not be issued "hold-short" instructions and may cross it at your discretion. You may not (even when the taxi instructions does not contain the phrase "taxi to and hold short ...") enter or cross the take off runway.JoeMNY
I'm CAA and not FAA.But FAA rules woudn't work over here, as you couldn't just cross a runway being used for landing to get to the one for take off, you'll need to hold short on a very busy airport. Typical of say, Heathrow, 27L for take off and 27R for landings for example.

I'm CAA and not FAA.But FAA rules woudn't work over here, as you couldn't just cross a runway being used for landing to get to the one for take off, you'll need to hold short on a very busy airport. Typical of say, Heathrow, 27L for take off and 27R for landings for example.
That's why I prefaced it with FAA. And here in the USA you can't normally cross a runway being used for take-off. You would more than likely receive the instruction to "Taxi to runway X, hold short runway Y" which means you would taxi as far as runway Y and call for instructions when you get there unless you received an amended clearance "cross runway Y".

That's why I prefaced it with FAA. And here in the USA you can't normally cross a runway being used for take-off. You would more than likely receive the instruction to "Taxi to runway X, hold short runway Y" which means you would taxi as far as runway Y and call for instructions when you get there unless you received an amended clearance "cross runway Y".
Exactly my point. But hey, it's simulation, so I'll just look left, then right and make sure no one is going into my nice shiny aircraft.

Hi guys,We also got to remember the practical side of simming. Replicating the real world practices of holding short of runways for various reasons would drive most simmers mad. Imagine leaving JFK at peak hour and having a 2 hour taxi time. When us simmers may only have a precious 2 hour flying time in the evening, do you want RC to hold you short of a crossing runway until 30 AIs come down and then taxi painfully slow off the runway?RC hasn't avoided the crossing runway issues discussed here for the practical reasons as I have described above, but hey, be glad you can cross the runway in the sim - in the real world, you'd still be waiting ;o)Subs