Sign in to follow this  
BobP

Constant Freezes and system Crashes MD11/FSX

Hi,Has anyone else experienced random crashes and freezes when flying the MD11 in FSX? This occurs at least 50% of the time now. I'm at a point where I might as well remove it from my system. Considering it's an $80 add-on, that is very difficult to swallow. I have tried everything to have a consistent experience with the plane, but no luck. I'm hoping someone else had similar problems and found a way to fix it. I have the FS9 version and that version has no problems. Thanks in advance.Bob..

Months of use and months of testing before that with Vista64 and an Intel quad and I have not had this problem (there were issues of course during beta testing but those were fixed), nor have the many others using MD11_FSX reporting a similar problem.Are you using ASA or ASX? Do you have current video drivers (my card is an ATI but many others with Nvidia are squawking about certain driver versions.. those threads can be found in a search). Is there any commonality between the freezes such as using the MCDU or a specific phase of flight?

Dan Downs KCRP

Months of use and months of testing before that with Vista64 and an Intel quad and I have not had this problem (there were issues of course during beta testing but those were fixed), nor have the many others using MD11_FSX reporting a similar problem.Are you using ASA or ASX? Do you have current video drivers (my card is an ATI but many others with Nvidia are squawking about certain driver versions.. those threads can be found in a search). Is there any commonality between the freezes such as using the MCDU or a specific phase of flight?
Hi Dan and thanks for the reply.I have tried every driver version back to all the 178's. I can't find any common point of failure relative to when it occurs. I use ASA, Radar Contact, FS Flight Keeper and FSMap on a client via Pete's Wide Client. (not all at once). This morning the only extra running was ASA, however, I will get the crash using FS default weather frequently. I have zero confidence in this aircraft surviving a flight on VATSIM. It's just to frustrating to spend 45 minutes (FSCrew) pre-flighting and have the flight end with a system crash.Again, I'm hoping a fellow MD11 FSX Captain has seen this problem and found a solution. Thanks.Bob..

Guest jaskanFactor
Hi Dan and thanks for the reply.I have tried every driver version back to all the 178's. I can't find any common point of failure relative to when it occurs. I use ASA, Radar Contact, FS Flight Keeper and FSMap on a client via Pete's Wide Client. (not all at once). This morning the only extra running was ASA, however, I will get the crash using FS default weather frequently. I have zero confidence in this aircraft surviving a flight on VATSIM. It's just to frustrating to spend 45 minutes (FSCrew) pre-flighting and have the flight end with a system crash.Again, I'm hoping a fellow MD11 FSX Captain has seen this problem and found a solution. Thanks.Bob..
I recently paid 150$ for both pmdg 747 and md11, and am having problems of all kinds of crashes, blue screen, black screen, white screen. And it seems lots of people using vista are having this problem. For something worth 70$ each you would expect atleast to be able to use it.I think its cause the thing was not properly tested before rushing it out to the shops.Do a search on google for --- pmdg black screen ----- and youll see what i meanPS DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME REINSTALLING FSX EITHER AS SUGGESTED ON PMDG SITE FOR SOME ISSUES. People have reinstalled both thier hardware - OS - And FSX and it still did not fix the problems.I am a sofware engineer , and i know a pointer related memory problem when i see one. Somewhere in PMDG code somebody is using a pointer that is overwritting other parets of FSX memory. So that screen crash, menus disappear, etc. They need to release a patch for 747 and MD11 for all those using vista. Some say they have no issues with XP. So it looks like vista issue.I am very dissapointed to say the least, and when you react to this as you feel it, the best response you get from support is , SIGN YOUR NAME.MY NAME IS ALREADY IN THE LEFT SIDE, TAKE A LOOK AT IT, I JUST WANT MY PMDG FIXED.What is the point of signing my name, if you cant help anyway.I GOT VISTA64 6GIG DDR3, GTX285 , and i get problems with only pmdg stuff, not wilco, not eaglesoft or any other addon, and they cost the most.I feel very riped off , and the best i get is , sign your name. After 150$ worth of rip a off.I smell a propaganda with all the pmdg hype, cause that is what made me buy the suff, only for it to crash my pc all the time.OK Almost forgot to sign my nameIts THE GUY WHO SPENT 150$ ON PMDG MD11 & 747 AND THEY ARE CRASHING FSX ALL THE TIMEThats My Name

Bob... you seem to have been interrupted.Are you locking up or crashing? Is it a crash to desktop and do you get any error message from the OS? I suspect we can find the problem without the software engineer rants.

Dan Downs KCRP

I recently paid 150$ for both pmdg 747 and md11, and am having problems of all kinds of crashes, blue screen, black screen, white screen. And it seems lots of people using vista are having this problem. For something worth 70$ each you would expect atleast to be able to use it.I think its cause the thing was not properly tested before rushing it out to the shops.Do a search on google for --- pmdg black screen ----- and youll see what i meanPS DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME REINSTALLING FSX EITHER AS SUGGESTED ON PMDG SITE FOR SOME ISSUES. People have reinstalled both thier hardware - OS - And FSX and it still did not fix the problems.I am a sofware engineer , and i know a pointer related memory problem when i see one. Somewhere in PMDG code somebody is using a pointer that is overwritting other parets of FSX memory. So that screen crash, menus disappear, etc. They need to release a patch for 747 and MD11 for all those using vista. Some say they have no issues with XP. So it looks like vista issue.I am very dissapointed to say the least, and when you react to this as you feel it, the best response you get from support is , SIGN YOUR NAME.MY NAME IS ALREADY IN THE LEFT SIDE, TAKE A LOOK AT IT, I JUST WANT MY PMDG FIXED.What is the point of signing my name, if you cant help anyway.I GOT VISTA64 6GIG DDR3, GTX285 , and i get problems with only pmdg stuff, not wilco, not eaglesoft or any other addon, and they cost the most.I feel very riped off , and the best i get is , sign your name. After 150$ worth of rip a off.I smell a propaganda with all the pmdg hype, cause that is what made me buy the suff, only for it to crash my pc all the time.OK Almost forgot to sign my nameIts THE GUY WHO SPENT 150$ ON PMDG MD11 & 747 AND THEY ARE CRASHING FSX ALL THE TIMEThats My Name
Dude, chill man!! :( Emailing PMDG Support is the best bet to get an answer, not posting on the forms so... email them here: support@precisionmanuals.com and make sure you get an auto-reply.Oh yeah, and when I searched "pmdg black screen" the first things that came up were from a certain torrent site. Not accusing, just saying it's kinda funny lol.And by the way, I use the PMDG MD-11 on Vista and have had no problems yet. James

I can say, (I posted elsewhere in this forum on this subject) that I also have been experiencing this.I am not a computer "guru" nor do I want to be. However, I know that I had this problem on two separate computers with two different operating systems, software...The only constant I can see in this equation is the MD-11. I am not accusing the developers of turning out a shoddy piece of work. Have much respect for you folks and have enjoyed past works of yours very much.I have no explanation as to why the FSX crash. I had no problem(s) of a same/similar type until installing the MD-11.I un-installed said software for now and am very disappointed as not only having spent more than being accustomed to for an add on, also mainly because I, like others, waited for a long time for this bird. I am certain there is a way to fix this. Tried what was suggested by the developers...no dice here either.Will have to wait until a solution has been realized before reinstalling.

Guest CX355

I just skimmed all this so forgive...have you run FS by itself using default acrft?Have you flown MD-11 in FS w/out other 3rd party add-onsDo you have the latest FSUIPCAre you attempting the same route each timeHave you reinstalled MD-11 and then start w/ default FS before doing anything else w/ MD?Vincent

Chad, did you contact support for help before removing the airplane? There are hundreds or thousands or whatever the number is of FSX MD11 installations that work... if we can sort out why it doesn't for a few that will be a few very happy folks... she really is a nice simulation (I'm not paid by PMDG).

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan.I did contact support when I had the MD-11 installed on my older computer. I was having the same problem then. Operating system was Win XP Pro (SP3).I was given a list of things to try/experiment with. I did most of those with no joy. I was not wishing to monkey around anymore, So I took the software off.Since then, I have an newer computer with a..cough...cough different (worse IMO) operating platform. Yes, you know the one. Starts w/a "V...a"Dan, I am at a loss as I know there are many that are enjoying the bird. I have been very impressed by what Bill, Michael, Vin and all concerned have produced.As stated earlier, I am confused as to why the same problem as before with a completely different system.No worries Dan on the shameless plug. You are right in what you said IMO. I wish to comment on an earlier post,I have no desire to uninstall/reinstall FSX, "XYZ" software and conduct an exhaustive troubleshoot so that I can fly this bird. As much as I would like to fly it, I have others that I enjoy as well.

Guest CX355
Hi Dan.I did contact support when I had the MD-11 installed on my older computer. I was having the same problem then. Operating system was Win XP Pro (SP3).I was given a list of things to try/experiment with. I did most of those with no joy. I was not wishing to monkey around anymore, So I took the software off.Since then, I have an newer computer with a..cough...cough different (worse IMO) operating platform. Yes, you know the one. Starts w/a "V...a"Dan, I am at a loss as I know there are many that are enjoying the bird. I have been very impressed by what Bill, Michael, Vin and all concerned have produced.As stated earlier, I am confused as to why the same problem as before with a completely different system.No worries Dan on the shameless plug. You are right in what you said IMO. I wish to comment on an earlier post,I have no desire to uninstall/reinstall FSX, "XYZ" software and conduct an exhaustive troubleshoot so that I can fly this bird. As much as I would like to fly it, I have others that I enjoy as well.
This is preplexing, Maybe you have a tweak you have performed somewhere common to both systems which is conflicting w/ your setup. Have you run a windows dionostic to check for program compatibilty eg. directX, or something of this nature. Having not seen what PMDG suggested I cannot commet w/ more. I am no expert but have many add-ons and such and usually when I have had major problems over the years it is something I have done which is causing the problem. My hubble opinion is that you have something along these lines going on which has nothing to do w/ FS or PMDG. PLZ don't give up...there are other web sites which may if you give precise details can help, if not solve your problem eg. Viper..Vincent

And it seems lots of people using vista are having this problem. They need to release a patch for 747 and MD11 for all those using vista. Some say they have no issues with XP. So it looks like vista issue.
You keep saying it's a problem with the software when run on Vista but I think you fail to realise there is tons of us here running it on Vista, I am using Vista 64bit (6gig ram DDR3 etc) and reliability has been flawless, besides having to set to permissions to admin PMDG product has never given me a problem ever but saw this post before I bought the MD11, after reading your post I wouldn't be so sure anymore because I am running Vista.Email them direct and I am sure they will try their best to diagnose the problem help you getting it running smooth.Jay V

Guest SkullxBones

If I was having these kinds of problems, the first thing I would do is turn all the sliders down to minimum and limit the FPS to a fairly low frame rate to reduce the load on your hardware. If the problems stop then you might be having memory or overheating issues when it's under heavy loads that FSX+MD-11 can do. If it still crashes, then I'd make sure no other programs are running in the background except those essential for the operating system. If it still crashes, I'd reinstall the aircraft. If it still crashes, I'd email PMDG and ask for help cause I'd be stumped.Jeff P.

Norman, we don't know if the originator of this thread is having CTDs or lockups, we don't know if the saved states from previous release were deleted. Thanks for trying to validate the problem but first we need to identify the problem.

Dan Downs KCRP