Sign in to follow this  
Guest dakrisht

PMDG MD-11 - Worth it?

Guest dakrisht

Hey everyone,I've been looking into purchasing the PMDG MD-11. It looks like a really nice product. The price is a bit steep, considering that it costs 1.5x as much as FSX itself!I currently only have the LevelD 767, which I found to be an awesome add-on, in addition to UTX and GEX.I've been looking into the Arianne 737 (there's a thread on here with too many posts for me to read) but I hear a lot of negatives about that bird - particularly the obscene cost.I've always loved the MD-11 and I think it could be a no-brainer for the PMDG MD-11.Some thoughts on this add-on?What are your favorite add-ons?Thanks!

Guest PPSFA

Its great, the US equivilent of an Airbus... gear up, flaps up, AP on, have a nice nap :-)

I've not got the PMDG MD-11 myself, largely because I've got their 747 and although the MD-11 is an interesting add-on, one really complex long hauler is enough for me, because like most people the really long haul FS flights are not something I tend to indulge in that often, and when I do, I don't always want to simulate everything about the flight, which is one of the reasons why I also bought the much simpler CLS 747 too (and for a bit of old-school navigational fun). If I didn't have PMDGs 747 and I was in the market for a complex long hauler, I think I'd be inclined to choose the MD-11 out of the two, purely because it is the more recently developed add-on from PMDG and so it probably benefits from the experience the team gained on making the 747. I gather that the MD-11 gets better frame rates than the 747 from what I hear, which is another thing in its favour, and going off my own experience of their 747, that must make it an excellent thing to have.Ultimately the bottom line is, if it's calling to you, then get it.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It is entirely worth it. It is by far the most rewarding plane I've got in my virtual hangar.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest dakrisht
It is entirely worth it. It is by far the most rewarding plane I've got in my virtual hangar.
I remember when my parents and I use to fly Swissair from LSZH-KLAX 3-4 times per year, every year. Those were just great times, my dad used to smoke in First Class and drink Vodka and I would spend hours in the flight deck. The MD-11 was and still is such a beautiful bird, and it was very unfortunate the some faulty wiring caused the crash of SR-111. I even have a few pictures of that same exact bird on Airliners.net and it's chilling to know that we could have been on that aircraft.The PMDG MD-11 looks awesome and I'm definitely going to go for it. Thanks for the tips, I'm sure there are manuals/tutorials that come with the package to learn how to fly the bird properly...

I remember when my parents and I use to fly Swissair from LSZH-KLAX 3-4 times per year, every year. Those were just great times, my dad used to smoke in First Class and drink Vodka and I would spend hours in the flight deck. The MD-11 was and still is such a beautiful bird, and it was very unfortunate the some faulty wiring caused the crash of SR-111. I even have a few pictures of that same exact bird on Airliners.net and it's chilling to know that we could have been on that aircraft.The PMDG MD-11 looks awesome and I'm definitely going to go for it. Thanks for the tips, I'm sure there are manuals/tutorials that come with the package to learn how to fly the bird properly...
Your making a fantastic purchase!!! Money well spent,I've never heard someone say The PMDG MD-11 wasn't worth it,and with that awesome pc you have it's going to be an excellent experience!!

If you like the Level-D 767, you'll love MD-11. It's just so imersive. I'm sure you won't regret it.As for the Ariane.... You really MUST read the entire thread before purchase. You'll kick yourself if you don't,

The MD-11 is great. Best big airliner I've ever had (amongst others PSS (long ago), Level-D, PMDG)

one really complex long hauler is enough for me, because like most people the really long haul FS flights are not something I tend to indulge in that often, and when I do, I don't always want to simulate everything about the flightand I was in the market for a complex long hauler
It's known as a long hauler indeed, but I never ever do long hauls, because I hate them. :( However, I always fly real world FedEx flights in Europe (like EGSS-LFPG and LFPG-EDDF)! The are about 45 minutes long, so even when I start up from a cold and dark cockpit and also end up in a cold and dark cockpit, it won't take me longer than an hour to an hour and a half (which is really the limit for me). So if you don't like long hauls but do like flying realistic flights, that doesn't mean the MD-11 is not for you! It's an awesome plane also for those who don't have too much time to fly! (I hate to time accell and to save flights in mid-air, so I usualy save the MD-11 flights for weekends: the rest of the week is for even shorter VFR hops.) If you don't feel the need to do it all 'as real as it gets' you can of course fly even shorter hops with the MD-11: no one will punish you for it. :(

Guest jaskanFactor
Hey everyone,I've been looking into purchasing the PMDG MD-11. It looks like a really nice product. The price is a bit steep, considering that it costs 1.5x as much as FSX itself!I currently only have the LevelD 767, which I found to be an awesome add-on, in addition to UTX and GEX.I've been looking into the Arianne 737 (there's a thread on here with too many posts for me to read) but I hear a lot of negatives about that bird - particularly the obscene cost.I've always loved the MD-11 and I think it could be a no-brainer for the PMDG MD-11.Some thoughts on this add-on?What are your favorite add-ons?Thanks!
Please I urge you, before you go buy any PMDG product, search google for "pmdg black screen".I recently paid 150$ for both Md11 and 747, anf things just keep crashing when am using these aircraftThere are many of us having all kinds silly problems with PMDG stuff, so google pmdg issues before you buy. If i had known about all this issues before purchase, i would not have gone for it. That said md11 is suprisingly frame rate friendly, more than the pmdg 747. But that is only when it does not crash FSX.For me bottom line is, when using any pmdg, going to any fsx menus is like russian roulette, it could crash anytime, for others the crash occurs when they change views, and so on and so forth.Some say they have no issues with XP, but am vista64.Some who use vista and have pmdg signature in thier mail say they have no issues in vista.SoME have accepted thier losses and parked PMDG in the hanger all together.However when they work, they are cool.I have to say, after purchasing these md11 and 747 i am never buying pmdg again cause1 - Too many crash related issues2 - The cockpit detail is second to none but cabin view is like a nursrey school project. This is why i like wilco they do good cockpits and cabin views.3 - They are very complicated, so its not for you if you want to fly your new plain within a few days of buying it, cause you have to read 600 pages of manuals first, but sopme simers like this, so depends what you want. I prefer to be able to fly a plain pretty soon after purcahse without spending part of my life reading manuals. ITS A SIM.That is said framerate you get with md11 is close to what you get with default fsx aircraft.SO PLEASE GOOGLE PMDG ISSUES BEFORE YOU BUY, MANY OF US ARE HAVING TOO MANY ISSUES

And the majority of us have no problems whatsoever. Maybe you should contact PMDG and let them walk you through whatever problem you have.As for the plane this is by far the best addon out there, at least until we find out about Airsimmer A320. But you really need to read the manual as this plane is totally different from boeings.

Nathan

1 - Too many crash related issues2 - The cockpit detail is second to none but cabin view is like a nursrey school project. This is why i like wilco they do good cockpits and cabin views.3 - They are very complicated, so its not for you if you want to fly your new plain within a few days of buying it, cause you have to read 600 pages of manuals first, but sopme simers like this, so depends what you want. I prefer to be able to fly a plain pretty soon after purcahse without spending part of my life reading manuals. ITS A SIM.
1. I have Vista 64 and run the MD-11 without real problems. I also didn't have any problems on my previous Vista 32 system. I do have to say that when I am flying for some time, accessing the menu may result in my screen going black or corrupt. But since I have no real need to access the menu while I am flying, I don't really care. (I only access the menu during startup: I really don't know why I should want to access the menu while in the air. But that may be due to the fact that I never ever leave the VC during a flight (see also point 2). If you frequently switch to Vista or go the the menu all the time, you may indeed get problems... But my advice is: just do not do that and you'll be fine. :( (BTW If I do get screen problems, I can still save the flight, quit and start FSX and load the save flight, after which (almost) all is fine again.)2. The cockpit is the best there is imho. The cabin is total crap indeed, but... as said, I never ever leave the VC while flying. A cabin view (good or bad, available or not) would never ever be a reason for me not to buy a good add on... A bad VC would.3. With the excellent tutorial nearby you will be flying the plane in no time. It is not needed to read all manuals in order to have fun with the MD-11. I installed the MD-11, did the tutorial and finished my first flight all in within an hour or so... without looking at the manuals... Of course, if you want to progress and learn to know how to handle more things yourself, the manual is mandatory :( . But I've had days of fun with the MD-11, using only the information from the tutorial. And even now, after a few months of flying, I quite often do nothing more than what I learned in the turorial! Anyway, you really don't have to study for days before you can fly: that's nonsense. Most people who say that simply didn't do the turorial... :(And IT'S A SIM indeed, not an arcade game...

Guest jaskanFactor
1. I have Vista 64 and run the MD-11 without real problems. I also didn't have any problems on my previous Vista 32 system. I do have to say that when I am flying for some time, accessing the menu may result in my screen going black or corrupt. But since I have no real need to access the menu while I am flying, I don't really care. (I only access the menu during startup: I really don't know why I should want to access the menu while in the air. But that may be due to the fact that I never ever leave the VC during a flight (see also point 2). If you frequently switch to Vista or go the the menu all the time, you may indeed get problems... But my advice is: just do not do that and you'll be fine. :( (BTW If I do get screen problems, I can still save the flight, quit and start FSX and load the save flight, after which (almost) all is fine again.)2. The cockpit is the best there is imho. The cabin is total crap indeed, but... as said, I never ever leave the VC while flying. A cabin view (good or bad, available or not) would never ever be a reason for me not to buy a good add on... A bad VC would.3. With the excellent tutorial nearby you will be flying the plane in no time. It is not needed to read all manuals in order to have fun with the MD-11. I installed the MD-11, did the tutorial and finished my first flight all in within an hour or so... without looking at the manuals... Of course, if you want to progress and learn to know how to handle more things yourself, the manual is mandatory :( . But I've had days of fun with the MD-11, using only the information from the tutorial. And even now, after a few months of flying, I quite often do nothing more than what I learned in the turorial! Anyway, you really don't have to study for days before you can fly: that's nonsense. Most people who say that simply didn't do the turorial... :(And IT'S A SIM indeed, not an arcade game...
True Those looking for the sort of eye candy you get from wilco, should not buy pmdg, cuase the vc and exterior detail is all there is. Its exciting to say pmdg is for those who want to fly it like the real thing, the downside is, you have to read up a bit, and if you busy, you want have time for this.However if you willing to track the learning curve, then the tutorial is ok, and youtube is also excellent , just search (pmdg tutorial).But i am no longer buying pmdg, in part due to crashes, but also cause i am more a wilco type eye candy simer. If i pay money for aircraft addon i want goo d vc and cabin views, and more eyecandy after that if possible.So i will be sticking with wilco and eaglesoft in future.Most of all i am dissapointed about the crashes. Some of use tools like fspax, and going to fspax menu sometimes causes pmdg to crash. for example when going to fspax menu to end your flight.

You've never flown a better add-on product than this. [full stop]Worth every penny.

2 - The cockpit detail is second to none but cabin view is like a nursrey school project. This is why i like wilco they do good cockpits and cabin views.
While that is a bit crass, I will say that one man's "junk" is a another's treasure. I am VERY happy to see triangles spared from rendering what I consider vastly useless: cabin rendering.As to comparing and contrasting ANY Wilco product to a PMDG product in the pursuit of comparing quality, I'll simply hold my tongue in the interest of NOT being crass myself.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I can only assume that 'jaskanFactor' has some personal 'beef' with PMDG. IMHO he/she is talking absolute "

Guest jaskanFactor
I can only assume that 'jaskanFactor' has some personal 'beef' with PMDG. IMHO he/she is talking absolute "