Sign in to follow this  
Marcusb98

How do I find the carrier?

I am absolutely loving the F18!!Anyway... lol... My question is my aircraft is at Edwards AFB... I need to meet up with my crew aboard the aircraft carrier. How do I find it? I have Acceleration installed so I know that the carrier is out there, but how do I get coordinates to fly there? That might be a really dumb question, so I apologize... But can anyone help me??

When I download the info next to the carrier, what do I do with that info? Do I add it to a file? I am totally confused with this... HELP??

Anyway... lol... My question is my aircraft is at Edwards AFB... I need to meet up with my crew aboard the aircraft carrier. How do I find it?
Is this a mission or are you in free flight? Anyway, you can always get aicarriers2r2.zip by Lamont Clark from the AVSIM library and just plop down a landable carrier wherever you want.

Art

I am in Free Flight. I want to be able to either start on the carrier, or be able to create a flightplan that takes me to one...Help?

Guest napamule

I know what you mean by 'what to do with info'. What is missing is that you have to set the DAY and TIME you Sim is running on to match the carrier 'flight plan' time(s). Go 'World\Time & Season' and change the day and time to match the SCEHDULE. I am familiar with the Accel carrier on West Coast and 'flight plan' is to/from San Francisco and N. Island. Arrival at San Francisco (Golden Gate) is SATURDAY, 01:07 ZULU (18:07 PST). So, to catch it moving, inbound, set time to 00:07 Zulu and look for carrier '1 hour out'. Use top-down view as you fly apox 5 miles out Hdg 246 then N along coast. Only way to 'FREE FLIGHT' onto carrier. The other is to do 'Mission' which I did not do yet. For night landings as carrier is inbound change Day/Time to Thursday, 06:18 Zulu (arrival- 05:30 Zulu for 'moving') or 23:18 (and 22:18) PST. You can see carrier 'wake' in top down view. Zoom in/out with - and + keys.And don't forget to set 'Ship' traffic to about 51% in settings, or you won't see the carrier if ship traffic is turned off. Don't save a flight to start on carrier (messy business). Save flight at nearby then fly there (like KHAF, Half Moon Bay for SF area).Chuck BNapamule

Thank you all for the help gentlemen!I really wish there was a way to use GPS to find the AI carrier. It seems like such a waste to only be able to use the carrier in missions... In all reality, if you needed to fly from land to the carrier, you wouldn't wait until 7am and then fly around looking for it... Oh well... Maybe someone will develop something like that?

Guest napamule

Marcusb98,Which bring you right back to 'HOW DO YOU FIND THE CARRIER' (heehee). Well, you could locate it at Everret, Washington and RIDE it all the way to San Francisco (you can do that you know). Then when in route you take note of coordinates as you go. Then move time up 1 hour, note coordinates, etc. Then you make a flight plan, and enter it into GPS. Match starting time and you can go to exactly where it is supposed to be 1 hr, 2 hr, 3 hr, etc after departure time.I never thought of this until now, and don't know how to enter flight plans (or to be more exact-route(s)) into GPS) but it should be easy to learn. Gives me something to do this week. I've been simming 10 years plus and still have a lot to learn (everyday it's something new). Good luck. Oh, the carrier stays around for a long time after it stops. I practice landings while it's sitting still as it's about the same as when it's moving so no big deal. If all you want is to find it, then shoot some landings, then that's possible by simply changing the day and time to the 'arrival' time. In my example, you go to KHAF, slew over to Golden Gate area, press 'Y' key, gain control of a/c by setting throttle, trim, flaps, etc and you are THERE. Wala - instant carrier ops scenario for free flight landings. Cheers.Chuck BNapamule

You can't start on a carrier, and they move, so a flightplan won't necessarily take you to one.
If you have carriers places with Lamont Clark's AI Boat Utility ( ships running on a fixedroute and schedule) you CAN start on the deck using a method I detail in a postover at Sim-Outhouse:http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/show...mp;postcount=13Be sure to read my subsequent posts in that thread as well.This method MAY work with the default FSX acceleration moving carriers but I've not checked thatas I never use them. Instead I use those that I placed with the AI Boat Utility or aicarriers2. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Thank you all for the help gentlemen!I really wish there was a way to use GPS to find the AI carrier. It seems like such a waste to only be able to use the carrier in missions... In all reality, if you needed to fly from land to the carrier, you wouldn't wait until 7am and then fly around looking for it... Oh well... Maybe someone will develop something like that?
If you know the approximate position/area, and you are within 40-50 miles, you canuse the method I describe in my post ( link in my previous post here ) to get thelocation of the carrier and "move" yourself there using the SDK Traffic Toolboxdrop down menu and the 'Move' command in that menu system.The best solution for free-flight carrier operations, however, remains the excellent"aicarriers2" utility by Lamont Clark. With that utility you can have carriers, groupsof ships or boats anywhere you happen top be flying. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I downloaded the file, and installed as instructed via the Readme file. When I started FSX, I got an error message. The error message read exactly as follows:java.net.SocketException: Address family not supported by protocol family: Connectat sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Native Method)at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannellmpl.connect(Unknown Source)at java.nio.channels.SocketChannel.open(Unknown Source)at flightsim.simconnect.SimConnect.openNetworkConnection(SimConnect.java:283)at flightsim.simconnect.SimConnect.<init>(SimConnect.java:188)at flightsim.aicarriers.AICarriersManager.initConnection(AICarriersManager.java:146)at flightsim.aicarriers.AICarriersManager.<init>(AICarriersManager.java:96)at Flightsim.aicarriers.Main.main(Main.java:36)Has anyone seen this error before? Any advice on what to do to fix it?p.s. I have already tried to delete and reinstall with no luck...

Guest jshyluk

I don't know about your errors, but I can offer simple advice.You can always use the carrier in a Mission, but there's no reason to perform the Mission unless you want to. What I mean is, you can turn on "Enable Changes In Mission". You won't get any rewards, but you can still do the Mission. You can even change aircraft, weather, time of day, etc. to suit your needs. The easier thing to do is to start on the carrier and fly away. The harder thing to do is to fly to the carrier. Still, you could start on the carrier in a Mission, then use the "Move To Airport" function to automatically drop your aircraft at the land-based airport. Advance the Mission waypoints until you get the "Land On Carrier" waypoint. Then save your progress. You can then reload it at any time, and fly from land to the carrier. A massive green arrow and compass will guide you to the flat-top. You can turn the arrow off if you don't want to see it. The problem with this idea is that you are stuck with the carrier wherever it was placed in the Mission. You could use the SDK to move the carrier, or use the FSX Mission Editor add-on (FSXME). Both options are for advanced, patient users. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

I downloaded the file, and installed as instructed via the Readme file. When I started FSX, I got an error message. The error message read exactly as follows:java.net.SocketException: Address family not supported by protocol family: Connectat sun.nio.ch.Net.connect(Native Method)at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannellmpl.connect(Unknown Source)at java.nio.channels.SocketChannel.open(Unknown Source)at flightsim.simconnect.SimConnect.openNetworkConnection(SimConnect.java:283)at flightsim.simconnect.SimConnect.<init>(SimConnect.java:188)at flightsim.aicarriers.AICarriersManager.initConnection(AICarriersManager.java:146)at flightsim.aicarriers.AICarriersManager.<init>(AICarriersManager.java:96)at Flightsim.aicarriers.Main.main(Main.java:36)Has anyone seen this error before? Any advice on what to do to fix it?p.s. I have already tried to delete and reinstall with no luck...
You do have Java installed, do you not?If not, you need to download and install the latest version of Java. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Yes I have java installed and it is the latest version. Thank you all for the help. I guess I will just wait for FS11 when they add the fully functional carriers as part of the default scenery and set up guidance systems that you can utilize (I hope).