Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

EGAD

I am making a scenery for EGAD (Newtownards, UK) in FS9. The default runways are misaligned and I have corrected these. I have made the landclass more realistic - in the default scenery this small Irish town looked like Manhattan. Soon I will add some airfield scenery objects from one of the scenery libraries. Just to the NW of the airfield there is a dramatic 500 ft (170 m) hill - in geology-speak it is a 'volcanic plug'. This steep hill is completely missing in FS9 although in real world it dominates the airfield. In addition, in RW there is a 140 ft tower on the top and I have a scenery object for this (Gridley) ready to place..... when I have a hill to put it on :( I would like to tweak the mesh in this small area but have no clue where to start. I can use SBuilder (FS9 version) to malke polys, excludes, and flattens but that is as far as I have gone with SBuilder. I have a little experience of xml coding but I do not know if this can be used to alter MESH scenery.I'd be grateful for advice on how to make this 500 ft hill but please keep it simple. I do not know any of the language of MESH scenery design e.g. DEMO. ThanksJohn

Supporter.png

John

Hi John.You can continue to use SBuilder. You can make polys, type LWM-flatten. Then go to the Points tab, and assign an elevation to each point of the poly. This "flatten" ( not really flat ) will pull up the surrounding mesh to the elevation. Flatten is a misnomer... These are actually elevational polys... the points can be different elevations.You could get fancy, and triangulate the area with simple 3-point polys. Each point or vertex assigned the proper elevation... but sometimes keeping it simple is good enough. I've use 2-point polys to make complicated meshes... with each point assigned the correct elevation.Dick

Hi John.You can continue to use SBuilder. You can make polys, type LWM-flatten. Then go to the Points tab, and assign an elevation to each point of the poly. This "flatten" ( not really flat ) will pull up the surrounding mesh to the elevation. Flatten is a misnomer... These are actually elevational polys... the points can be different elevations.You could get fancy, and triangulate the area with simple 3-point polys. Each point or vertex assigned the proper elevation... but sometimes keeping it simple is good enough. I've use 2-point polys to make complicated meshes... with each point assigned the correct elevation.Dick
I never thought of using flatten polys. Great suggestion. Thanks a bunch. :( John

Supporter.png

John

Guest IGIMI

Hello boys, :( I had already tried the solution proposed by Dick, but I was not very happy with the results as in the figure attached. There is an effect of the gradient steps and still not well understood or how the variable within Heading Poligon Properties \ General \ Variable Altitude. In this example I have left 0 degres, slope 15 %. The points have a gradient oriented NW. In the first polygon Quelo lower the base value is 230 mt. Result values from 227.2 to 233.7. Other side effects that the points in the polygon are also in the share base of 230.However, this problem affects me so much are other solutions. I also have a request for Luis Feliz :( : If it were possible after having drawn the polygon by a function of the "Move and Scale" creating change, adapting them to various polygon at the contour lines. :( Ciao Giovanni B)

Guest IGIMI

Ciao LuisFelizTirado, I apologize for the confusion and thanks for the warning, there again my request. :( . Caraibi !!! :(

In the end, though, we must accept that this is a flight simulator, not a ground reproduction simulator, and that these small anomalies are not really very visible or important when flying at 150 knots at 5000 feet AGL.
I really like to fly VFR in BBQ and play the environment (topography, hydrography, vegetation and inhabited areas) as close as possible to reality, it's nice to follow the course of a river, the coastline or recognize a marine lake from its coastline or flying with the help of topographic maps and recognize MSFS points carry over. The impossible with the default scenario. With SBuilderX is very easy to do this, but we need much time to make it. Now I'm creating a scenario for FSX, which follows the valley of the Prut River on the border between UA, MD and RO for an 'area of about 1440 sq km (38km x 38km).The spots topographic, now I can edit with FSDEM step without having that stair-step effect . Yours faithfully Giovanni