Sign in to follow this  
Splash_One

Passed my checkride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bruce! Hey, I'm moving my family to Fort Collins exactly one week from today. You and so many others had such great things to say about the area we decided to take the leap. I'm really not looking forward to taking the home cockpit apart though (and putting it together again!). I'm not sure if I will fly out of Fort Collins/Loveland or Downtown. I'm really going to miss the nonprofit flying club here in Ithaca. Great prices, decent planes, and great commaraderie. A sterile FBO just won't feel the same.David

Guest tallpilot

Congratulations David,Passed mine June 1,1958 and after over 18,000 hrs and a 30 year Airline career the joy of "Slipping the surly bonds of earth" is still there. :-)Keep the blue side up and may you always have "Blue skies and tail winds"Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Hi David,Keep in touch when you do move. I live in Boulder (downtown). I hope you're not moving here to get work though :) ........ Actually, I recall that you will be teaching at CSU? We should make plans to meet up.One thing- make sure you get a CFI to show you how planes behave when the ground is a mile high (over 5,000' MSL), especially on a day when the density altitude is much higher. It's a whole different experience, and you'll think that your engine has dropped a cylimder or two :)Every year, we pull bodies out of the Rockies who took a C172 and tried to go over a mountain pass at 12-13,000'. So- one final word- wait until you get into a 172XP or 182 before you try this, and even bigger if you have pax. (The 182 will require a high power endorsement, and the XP- while not truely a "complex" a/c, does have a constant speed prop). And take a mountain flying course (most clubs won't let you go west until you do).My DE (Jack Taylor) runs a really nice flight school at FNL, is a great CFI, and I'd highly recommend him to you for further training in this environment and to even rent from. But give me a hollar on e-mail when you're here and we'll go fly out of BJC. Good luck with your move!Bruce.

Bumping this message in hopes the MAAM thread will move into the archives or onto the Hangar Chat forum where it belongs! Better yet, let the parties involved sort it out themselves IN PRIVATE. Now there's an idea!

There's nothing saying you can't start training now. You just can't solo until you're 16. (Need to be 16 to get the student pilot certificate.)If you get all the theory down and the flight maneuvers done now, then solo on your 16th birthday, then you can start working towards that airline career all much sooner.We've had several kids here who aren't 16 yet doing flight training. Some aren't very interested, they're here because mom/dad have lots of money to burn and are just passing time. Others don't have money but they hit up every pilot to wash planes, and scavange flight time/lessons. When it's slow the instructors just take them up and show them the basics.Cheers :)Woodreau

You guys got me so warm and fuzzy I decided to finally donate to the Richard Harvey Scholarship fund so perhaps someone else can experience the thrill of flight and also "join the club". Thanks again for your words of support.David

Hi David,Congratulations....!What a feeling. I remember mine, and I think I always will.Don't forget to enjoy it, and many might enjoy a play-by-play of what to expect.And thanks for contributing to the scholarship fund. You should also be commended for that.Regards,Joehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/sigban.jpg.Politics - Give Me Liberty or Give Me Deathhttp://pub207.ezboard.com/bpoliticsgivemel...tyorgivemedeath

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest ScottPilot

Congratulations!I still remember when I got my PPL back in 1987. I took my initial training and PPL checkride out KFAT in California.Happy Flying!ScottAirline Transport Pilot / CFII - KCOS

Heck, congratulations!! :-hah :-rotor :D :-cool :-newbieWoodreau, you actually can start with SIXTEEN (16) there in the US?? Hell, I think here in Germany you can start with 17, and get your license just when your 18. With a special agreement you 'could' start with 16, though, I think.Heck, I better move to the US, seems flying can start there much earlier than here... Duh!Etienne :-wave

Sorry, Guys - Should have explained that a tad better. I know all about the ages- I just meant to start lessons at the age of 16 for the sakes of time issues (Not having too much space between 16 and 17 so all skills are as fresh as can be :) )Jaosn :-wave