Sign in to follow this  
Rimshot

Very annoying

Hi all,Sometimes things happen I cannot figure out. Out of a sudden (at least I'm stumped what caused it) I get a sound when I select an aircraft in the FSX selection menu. The moment I click any aircraft Windows plays the default sound 'ding.wav' :( Has anyone ever had this weird problem before? You can imagine I find it very annoying and I hope someone will know a solution for this...

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Hi all,Sometimes things happen I cannot figure out. Out of a sudden (at least I'm stumped what caused it) I get a sound when I select an aircraft in the FSX selection menu. The moment I click any aircraft Windows plays the default sound 'ding.wav' :( Has anyone ever had this weird problem before? You can imagine I find it very annoying and I hope someone will know a solution for this...
It might be your system sound assignments. Check in Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices / Sounds panel / and see if the 'Select' assignment has a sound.

It might be your system sound assignments. Check in Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices / Sounds panel / and see if the 'Select' assignment has a sound.
That's what I thought; it must be somewhere in the sound options in the Windows control panel; if I disable all the sounds the problem is gone. However I cannot find anything there that makes Windows play the wav file when I select an aircraft. There is no sound aliased to 'select' as you suggest.

Cheers, Bert

I get the same "Windows Ding" when I click on an aircraft selection. This is the Windows "Default Beep" that is supposed to sound when you press a key or mouse button that cannot result in a response. Sounds can be edited in the control panel to change this to "none", but then there is nothing to tell you when there really is a problem.

Art

This happens to me too, although it never used to. All of a sudden one day it started "dinging" when I selected an aircraft and to this day I don't know how to stop it. I just mute my speakers until I get into the simulation. I don't find it too annoying however it would be nice to get rid of it.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

I have it also, it just started dinging one day. No way to prevent it from what I can tell.Curt

Thanks for the feedback guys. So I am not alone I read :( Something must have triggered the ding.wav to become active in the aircraft selection menu. At least I know I'm not mistaken when saying the sound was not there before, because some of you experienced the same thing. I'll post on some other forums as well.Art, I don't think the sound is supposed to be heared when selecting an aircraft. FSX has its own menu sounds, a dry 'click', which can be turned on or of in the sound options.

Cheers, Bert

Hi FolksRimshot -AFAIK it's not a "Windows" configurable item.I think the 'ding' is played by the IE window/activeX control used by the FSX GUIWindows update may have applied a correction to the SxS assemblies,which changed behaviour of that IE window/activeX control,exposing a previously non-working "ding" call.I'd need to run Process Monitor on an old FSX non-updated installation to confirm. It certainly affected the behaviour of the tabbed dialog mechanismas used on the Mission briefing pages.HTHATBPaul

Art, I don't think the sound is supposed to be heared when selecting an aircraft. FSX has its own menu sounds, a dry 'click', which can be turned on or of in the sound options.
I agree that the sound should not be there and agree with the others that it was not always in FSX. However, you can change it to "none" or another sound in the control panel by changing the Default Beep. In my case it is not just an FSX issue. I also get it in Microsoft Office 2000 applications when clicking on document or excel files to open. Of course I also get it when I click on an option in a window when there is another window active waiting for my selection, which is what should happen.

Art

Hi FolksRimshot -AFAIK it's not a "Windows" configurable item.I think the 'ding' is played by the IE window/activeX control used by the FSX GUIWindows update may have applied a correction to the SxS assemblies,which changed behaviour of that IE window/activeX control,exposing a previously non-working "ding" call.I'd need to run Process Monitor on an old FSX non-updated installation to confirm. It certainly affected the behaviour of the tabbed dialog mechanismas used on the Mission briefing pages.HTHATBPaul
Hey Paul, thanks for this explanation. It sounds plausible. I'm curious if you can pinpoint the issue to one of the Windows updates.I guess I'm just going to have to remove the 'ding' from the default sound in the sound options in Control Panel like Art states.

Cheers, Bert