Sign in to follow this  
Guest Totalbeginner

MD11 G/S....please please please :-)

Guest Totalbeginner

Is there any possibility that the glideslope logic can be changed so that it is possible to use IDLE CLAMP or V/S or even FPA, when above the G/S with the LOC captured, just like in the real A/C?I know I keep banging on about it, but it really would be the icing on the cake! At the moment, you can't caputre the LOC and be above the G/S because the aircraft takes on a dive and leaves the current vertical mode. With CDA's being so common these days for fuel efficiency and noise abatement, it would be nice to have this feature, even if just to descend through the G/S and then capture it from below.I've even tried using LOC ONLY* in the FMC, but when you select APPR/LAND to arm the G/S, LOC ONLY isn't cancelled and you get the strangest FMA displayed:FMS SPD | LOC ONLY | G/S DUAL LAND ?????????????Appreciate your thoughts,Regards,Martin Neep

Guest davidaz68

If you push "APPR LAND", loc only is in effect cancelled, this is correct. When you push LOC ONLY* you arm the LOC capture, you must not push APPR LAND or G/S will be armed also.

Guest Totalbeginner
If you push "APPR LAND", loc only is in effect cancelled, this is correct. When you push LOC ONLY* you arm the LOC capture, you must not push APPR LAND or G/S will be armed also.
In the real aircraft, pushing APPR LAND does cancel LOC ONLY. But in the PMDG MD11 LOC ONLY remains. I tried to explain that I am using LOC ONLY as a work around for capturing the LOC when above the G/S, because this is not possible with the current bug in the sim.Regards,Martin

Is there any possibility that the glideslope logic can be changed so that it is possible to use IDLE CLAMP or V/S or even FPA, when above the G/S with the LOC captured, just like in the real A/C?
Martin,Know exactly what you mean here, compared to the real A/C.Hope there's a solution to this some time.(CDI's alignment took its time also, remember?)Regards,Harry

Hello,I too noticed the strange FMA display when going from LOC ONLY to APPR LAND. Even on short final when DUAL LAND is active, LOC ONLY continues to be displayed. I meant to mention that after my last flight but it slipped my mind. Yes, I agree that this doesn't seem to make sense.Thanks,Adam

Hello,I too noticed the strange FMA display when going from LOC ONLY to APPR LAND. Even on short final when DUAL LAND is active, LOC ONLY continues to be displayed. I meant to mention that after my last flight but it slipped my mind. Yes, I agree that this doesn't seem to make sense.Thanks,Adam
Adam,The basic problem is that control of the vertical profile is lost here.GS should be in an armed mode, iso captured mode, to give the pilot control on how to intercept from above.Diving for intercept is not the prefered method with this kind of planes.Harry

How do you arm LOC ONLY* in the sim? I assume it is the somewhat same as arming VOR ONLY* on the CDU, but I haven't been able to bring up LOC ONLY on the CDU. I can't seem to find this in the FCOM either.Thanks,Greg

How do you arm LOC ONLY* in the sim? I assume it is the somewhat same as arming VOR ONLY* on the CDU, but I haven't been able to bring up LOC ONLY on the CDU. I can't seem to find this in the FCOM either.Thanks,Greg
Yep it appears on the NAV/RAD page of the CDU, you must have the ILS tuned (manual or auto) obviously at the time.

Yep it appears on the NAV/RAD page of the CDU, you must have the ILS tuned (manual or auto) obviously at the time.
Right. I get VOR ONLY to come up in the CDU, but if I enter an ILS freq., LOC ONLY won't show up.Greg

Guest Totalbeginner
Right. I get VOR ONLY to come up in the CDU, but if I enter an ILS freq., LOC ONLY won't show up.Greg
I have no idea why that would be the case. Are you putting the freq. in the ILS box?

I have no idea why that would be the case. Are you putting the freq. in the ILS box?
Your posts suggest you are far from a Total beginner :( Anyway maybe you read my post's on MD11 bugs? Ryan gave us a glimmer of hope that the MD11 is not forgotten, it may be a while but I think the little bugs will be fixed. I'm curious as to why you need to intercept the G/S from above? To look on the brightside, it's good that we can bring up bugs like this, much better then saying the FMC crashes me to desktop when I try a Direct To or PROF sends me into a 10000 FPM dive :( Regards

Rob Prest

Guest Totalbeginner
much better then saying the FMC crashes me to desktop when I try a Direct To
Actually, this does happen from time to time :(

Actually, this does happen from time to time :(
Confirmed, real world situations may require it.If required, there are more, pilot controlled options, than diving to the GS.Regards,Harry