Sign in to follow this  
Hernan1

Aircraft editor

Several months ago while downloading recent updates for my Adobe Reader, I noticed that it automatically disabled or damaged my Air Editor 152. Normally I would run the program to have a specific AI Aircraft available in the Flight Simulator menu to make it "visible". Now, when I RUN the Air Editor, all I get is an icon window tab that shows the picture of an aircraft icon, plus the letter "U..." (untitled - AirEd) and the Minimize/Maximize boxes and the "X" (close box).Normally when I would RUN the Air Ed I will get get a list of items, and the one I will always use was line "152" (I think) where I would change to numbers 0 or 2. I attempetd to uninstall AirEd and re-install a newer version, but, I still get the same problem. Is there any other way to correct this by obtaining a different utility that would accomplish the same thing?, or, is there a specific area in the aircrfat.cfg that I need to change to make an AI aircraft visible to Flight Simulator?. I will appreciate any input. Thanks.Hernan

Several months ago while downloading recent updates for my Adobe Reader, I noticed that it automatically disabled or damaged my Air Editor 152. Normally I would run the program to have a specific AI Aircraft available in the Flight Simulator menu to make it "visible". Now, when I RUN the Air Editor, all I get is an icon window tab that shows the picture of an aircraft icon, plus the letter "U..." (untitled - AirEd) and the Minimize/Maximize boxes and the "X" (close box).Normally when I would RUN the Air Ed I will get get a list of items, and the one I will always use was line "152" (I think) where I would change to numbers 0 or 2. I attempetd to uninstall AirEd and re-install a newer version, but, I still get the same problem. Is there any other way to correct this by obtaining a different utility that would accomplish the same thing?, or, is there a specific area in the aircrfat.cfg that I need to change to make an AI aircraft visible to Flight Simulator?. I will appreciate any input. Thanks.Hernan
What you are seeing is the result of an Adobe update which installed a program of theirs named Adobe Air. It apparently is only used by a very few websites to display them so it can be safely uninstalled.Then your normal AirEd program will function as it always has.There are a number of threads on this subject in the forum if you want all the gory details - it took awhile for us to figure out what had happened.I recommend that you set your Adobe updater to notify you first of any available updates but not to install them without your permission.Edit added: It is line 105 which determines in FS2004 if the aircraft will be visible or not in the aircraft selection menu - a value of 2 makes it invisible while a value of 0 (zero) will allow it to be seen. Hope that helps. :(

Hi,Once Air Ed opens, I can go to the File menu and use Open. Then browse to the AIR file you want to edit.Hope this helps,

What you are seeing is the result of an Adobe update which installed a program of theirs named Adobe Air. It apparently is only used by a very few websites to display them so it can be safely uninstalled.Then your normal AirEd program will function as it always has.There are a number of threads on this subject in the forum if you want all the gory details - it took awhile for us to figure out what had happened.I recommend that you set your Adobe updater to notify you first of any available updates but not to install them without your permission.Edit added: It is line 105 which determines in FS2004 if the aircraft will be visible or not in the aircraft selection menu - a value of 2 makes it invisible while a value of 0 (zero) will allow it to be seen. Hope that helps. :(
DavidYou forgot to mention Foxit which you recommended to me.I got rid of adobe acrobat and downloaded Foxit ...it opens quickly ,scrolls quickly and smoothly (adobe never did for me)and its freeware to .Thanks David a useful tipAndy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Dave, I removed the Adobe Air, however, AirEd still hasn't changed. I went to the other threads you suggested and found the BBQHideAI program and it works much better. I just need to learn how to master the program as I only got a few AI aircraft to become visible so that I may use them on some videos I made for YouTube. Now, I have to learn how to hide them from the aircraft menu to speed up the opening and closing of Flight Simulator. The Foxit program is also great! Thanks for the suggestion. :( Thanks again,Hernan1DLFlyer (YouTuber)

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Dave, I removed the Adobe Air, however, AirEd still hasn't changed. I went to the other threads you suggested and found the BBQHideAI program and it works much better. I just need to learn how to master the program as I only got a few AI aircraft to become visible so that I may use them on some videos I made for YouTube. Now, I have to learn how to hide them from the aircraft menu to speed up the opening and closing of Flight Simulator. The Foxit program is also great! Thanks for the suggestion. :( Thanks again,Hernan1DLFlyer (YouTuber)
Agreed - the BBQ program works well (after you get the hang of it) for hiding or displaying large groups of aircraft.To get AirEd working again (which is still the best in my opinion for the "occasional" .air file edit) try starting the AirEd program and then going to the label at the top of the AirEd screen named Special. Here you will see an option to "Set AirEd for AIR files". When you select that option, it will automatically "associate" the AirEd program with .air files so you can just double click on any one and it will open in the AirEd program.Good luck! :(

Here's what I did to speed up BBQ.Create a new folder in you main FS9 folder, I named mine 1-BBQ so it is always on top of the list.Place the BBQHideAI.exe in this new folder.Also in this folder add another new folder named "put air files here''.Start BBQ and click on edit/"Add Folder Mask" and navigate to the "1-BBQ" folder.If your installation is default the path will be - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\1-BBQIn the "mask window" put - *Then click on file/Save aircraft list and name it good.lstThis setup lives in my FS9 installation permanently. Now you are all set to alter .air files.Here are the steps for that.Open the folder of the aircraft(s) you want to alter and copy the aircraft name.air file.Then, while you are still in the aircraft folder, rename the aircraft name.air file something like "See_aircraft name.air" if you are wanting to hide one or "No See_aircraft name.air" if you are wanting to see one.Paste the aircraft name.air file in the folder named "put air files here''.You can batch as many as you want at this point.Open BBQ and select file/open aircraft list...Double click on good.lst then select edit/Batch update .air files...This will open a dialog box and you should see all the .air files listed that you copied into "put air files here''.Click the radio button on the bottom to either hide or show aircrafts and then "update now"You can then copy the aircraft name.air files back into their respective aircraft folders and you are done.When I do this I end up with 2 .air files, one named "aircraft name.air" and one named "See_aircraft name.air" or "No See_aircraft name.air"This way if in the future I want to check a new AI livery in the sim, as an example, I can easily do it by renaming the .air filesHope this isn't too long and it helps. Once you have the initial setup done it goes really fast.Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif