Sign in to follow this  
Guest dakrisht

Flying a Real Simulator

Guest dakrisht

Where can one go to fly a real Boeing 777 Simulator?I know they cost around $30 million but who wouldn't want to sit down in a real simulator for an hour or so with an experienced captain and fly a little :( I live in California, so the closer to me the better! :(

Well as far as I know, Malaysia Airlines is giving chance to use B777 simulator for amateurs, so a bit far away from California :)I remember there was a simulation center in Sandiego. You may contact with Boeing,CAE or flightsafety training center for fnding commercial T7 simulator in your location. also I found this article, it may be help you as start; http://www.pilotmag.com/PublisherBlogbesides, if you have chance to visit Uk someday, you have more chance to try other airliners except t7 in www.virtualaviation.co.uk .also if you have chance to visit Turkey someday, you have granteed chance (able limited times in free slots) to visit B737NG and A320 simulators in IFTC (www.iftc.aero). I've been in there for 4 hrs fligts with 737NG last few months.if you have to chance to fly with B777, please share your experience with us.

Well as far as I know, Malaysia Airlines is giving chance to use B777 simulator for amateurs, so a bit far away from California :)I remember there was a simulation center in Sandiego. You may contact with Boeing,CAE or flightsafety training center for fnding commercial T7 simulator in your location. also I found this article, it may be help you as start; http://www.pilotmag.com/PublisherBlogbesides, if you have chance to visit Uk someday, you have more chance to try other airliners except t7 in www.virtualaviation.co.uk .also if you have chance to visit Turkey someday, you have granteed chance (able limited times in free slots) to visit B737NG and A320 simulators in IFTC (www.iftc.aero). I've been in there for 4 hrs fligts with 737NG last few months.if you have to chance to fly with B777, please share your experience with us.
How much did the 4h flight run you?

How much did the 4h flight run you?
I went to there 2hrsX2 session. We paid 360Euros/hrs with my friend.At the other 2 hours, I was invited by a TV program record which is interested with aviation (www.airporttv.tv). If you wish and if you interested I can give you rapidshare links but all conversation in Turkish (We were talking about virtual aviation in Turkey and flight situation -emergencies etc- at that time).we simulated hydrolics problem and left main gear malfunction with heavy cross wind while snowing without aiport approach lights! :)anyway, generally simulation cost almost the same whole of the world.Malaysia Airlines 777 simulation hour slighty less than avarege price so it is great chance (If I visit to Malaysia again I'm thinking to try it)

Where can one go to fly a real Boeing 777 Simulator?
Not a 777 but I believe you can still pay to fly the 767-200ER Sim at CYVR (Vancouver International).I flew it for 3 hours the day after my 50th birthday. My wife and relatives all chipped in for 1 hour.Al, Reimer an Instructor on the 767 and a line pilot asked me after the hour if I was having fun. :( Anyway....he said "there was nobody booked in after me so let's play some more." So after 3 hoursI walked out of the building with my feet 3 feet off the ground! :( Near the end he told me I was ready and basically set everything to manual. No computer other thanthe actual simulation. No ILS for this guy this time...got her lined up....got her slowed down....descentwas on the nose...over the fence....pulled her back at 75'....held the nose....nice touchdown...easepressure off the yoke....nose comes down....reverse thrust on....then off and easy braking...easilytook the next to last turnoff. After the landing Al said, "This is a CAT-3 simulator...we clear our pilotsto carry passengers after their last ride....you just landed a 767-200ER". :(I must thank Bill Gates & Co for the training. :DKen

You might want to check out Alteon in Long Beach. They were doing 1 hour simulator rides for $99 a few years ago. I don't know if they are still doing them. You need to be a US citizen, and have to provide documentation on citizenship status, i.e. passport. I don't think there was a 777 simulator there, it was mostly McDonnell Douglas aircraft - 717, MD-11 etc.

So after 3 hoursI walked out of the building with my feet 3 feet off the ground!
Ken, excellent explanation about that feeling after simulation ride :)

A little pricey, but check out http://www.b737.com. I did this with a couple of my college roommates in December and it was a lot of fun. We also paid the extra money and got the high altitude endorsement, but I don't think anyone else in our group did. The ground school was very informative and now I've got 1.5 hours of logged 737-800 time that I put on my resume. Not much, but it might be enough to get an airline to notice me...if they ever start hiring again. :(

Guest hmstiger
A little pricey, but check out http://www.b737.com. I did this with a couple of my college roommates in December and it was a lot of fun. We also paid the extra money and got the high altitude endorsement, but I don't think anyone else in our group did. The ground school was very informative and now I've got 1.5 hours of logged 737-800 time that I put on my resume. Not much, but it might be enough to get an airline to notice me...if they ever start hiring again. :(
United had a "Pilot for a Day" program that they axed after 9/11. I was able to fly a 777 sim at the UAL training facility through the AVSIM conference that was in Denver some years back. We were the first group allowed to buy time on the simulators after 9/11. It was great. The plane was so easy to fly - much more so than the computer sim. We did a ton of stuff - cross winds, full auto land, and even a windshear. I found that FS had prepared me well - it was a great time. Colin

United had a "Pilot for a Day" program that they axed after 9/11. I was able to fly a 777 sim at the UAL training facility through the AVSIM conference that was in Denver some years back. We were the first group allowed to buy time on the simulators after 9/11. It was great. The plane was so easy to fly - much more so than the computer sim. We did a ton of stuff - cross winds, full auto land, and even a windshear. I found that FS had prepared me well - it was a great time. Colin
That sounds like a lot of fun. We didn't get to do quite all that, but we did get a few failures and a V1 cut, which was pretty fun. I also found that FS helped me out a LOT, especially with the landing. We had a little competition going on and I won the softest landing competition, which I attribute almost solely to the PMDG 737-800. I definitely want to go back and do it again, though.