Sign in to follow this  
Marniftarr

Adaptive lighting effect for FSX

The other thing I have to say is that it seemed ok initially, before I changed any of the settings in the .ini file, although out of the box, it was way to bright. So perhaps it is somehow related to some of the ini settings? Also, I run FSWC, which also tweaks shader settings etc, do any of you guys use this also, do you think there might be some conflicts there? Funny thing is, it seems to run all right for one flight. If you try anything more than than that, wierd effects occur....

The other thing I have to say is that it seemed ok initially, before I changed any of the settings in the .ini file, although out of the box, it was way to bright. So perhaps it is somehow related to some of the ini settings? Also, I run FSWC, which also tweaks shader settings etc, do any of you guys use this also, do you think there might be some conflicts there? Funny thing is, it seems to run all right for one flight. If you try anything more than than that, wierd effects occur....
You could try to use the original ini from the rar again and see what happens. I also use FSWC (although I am back to FSX defaults now), but I can't imagine that would cause any problems: it's not a program that runs in the background or something like that: it just changes some settings and that's it.

Guest ssssss

Hello this thing doesnt work on mine, getting a white screen. Im using W7 64, Dell XPS410 9600GT 512MB with 181.71 w7 drivers. Im just checking to see what i can try before i acknowledge that it wont work on every system. DARRYL

I never had the problem with the disappearing textures, but I heard before that the best way to prevent driver problems, is always, ALWAYS uninstall old drivers, reboot and use a program like driver sweeper (Guru3D) to clean the rest of the junk left over. Reboot again, and install! It doesn't take too long to do all that, about 5 mins max.I am using an ATI HD 3850 512MB with Catalyst 9.3 BTW. So I don't know if that is why I am not seeing the problem. I'll check out Randall's settings and hopefully I can stick with the mod this time.Also remember that some cards cannot perform AA and HDR simultaneously. Geforce 7 series cannot do itGeforce 8 series and up canATi X1 series and up can.

If I rapidly switch views, I can suddenly lose my detail textures. I've now discovered that they come backif I hit my scenery re-load key, so I'm back trying this some more. It does add some really nice visuals!
Replying to my own note... This add-on takes a toll on video memory.. from the documentation:"The requirements to videomemory size are very high, depends from screen resolution and antialiasing, for example without antialiasing in a mode 1024*768 it cost 64 Mb of videomemory, and for 1280*1024 106 Mb are necessary."I find that it works great for me in rural areas, but if I try it at KSEA with autogen at high, and AA at 8XS, it only takes moments before I lose detail textures in the scenery and on my panel. So, for me at least, this is fun to play with, but not for general use, especially in heavy scenery areas.Nvidia 9600GT, 512MB, 175.16 drivers, 1680X1050 resolution.

Bert

Guest simjunkie
Does anybody know how to darken the night skys without darkening all the city lights and instrument lights?-jk
Anyone have any advice for this?-jk

Guest simjunkie

OK, This caused a BSOD today for me. I didn't even (edit: permanatly ) tweak the .ini. First there were massive artifacts and then the crash. Using 180.48 driver (xp 64bit). Removed the .ini and .dll and all is fine. FSX did rebuild the .cfg file though.I don't understand how it could work fine for days and then all of a sudden cause corruption.Too bad because the effect really looked nice. Looks like no joy for me.-jk

Just curious Simjunkie, did that crash show up in your Event viewer? That might shed some light on that.So far its working for me as well, I'm just using the default settings after totally screwing up the ini file. Does anyone have a nice setting to darken the night sky as of yet?

Guest simjunkie
Just curious Simjunkie, did that crash show up in your Event viewer? That might shed some light on that.So far its working for me as well, I'm just using the default settings after totally screwing up the ini file. Does anyone have a nice setting to darken the night sky as of yet?
Good idea. I'll look at that tonight after work. I'm on the GTX280 by the way. I didn't keep any earlier changes I made to the ini file because they were too dark. Maybe just modifing that file and restoring it screwed something up. I'll try again dropping the ini and dll into the FSX folder and then not touch anything in the ini and see how it goes. -jk

Nobody got any clues for us guys with 'white-outs' yet then?tis soooooo frustrating not being to use it :(

Ah.... a fix!Just found this: www.classicwings.net/bloom.zipover at SO in a thread like this one.

Guest Nick_N
Ah.... a fix!Just found this: www.classicwings.net/bloom.zipover at SO in a thread like this one.
Yes sir.. that did it.. someone must have found the issue in the DLL and fixed itNone the less.. I like what the effect does in some places and not in others.. although its a fun little addon to play with the lack of consistent results in all environments is not appealing so although I may use it from time to time its not high on my list to run with constantly.I did notice on one system I had to back off bufferpools because it does consume video memory which was not something I would prefer to do as that system was perfect with the reserve bufferpool amount I assigned

Guest ssssss
Yes sir.. that did it.. someone must have found the issue in the DLL and fixed itNone the less.. I like what the effect does in some places and not in others.. although its a fun little addon to play with the lack of consistent results in all environments is not appealing so although I may use it from time to time its not high on my list to run with constantly.I did notice on one system I had to back off bufferpools because it does consume video memory which was not something I would prefer to do as that system was perfect with the reserve bufferpool amount I assigned
Anyone have a link? I pasted that site but nothing comes up for that

OK, This caused a BSOD today for me. I didn't even (edit: permanatly ) tweak the .ini. First there were massive artifacts and then the crash. Using 180.48 driver (xp 64bit). Removed the .ini and .dll and all is fine. FSX did rebuild the .cfg file though.I don't understand how it could work fine for days and then all of a sudden cause corruption.Too bad because the effect really looked nice. Looks like no joy for me.-jk
Pretty much my experience, I was wondering if it was only me...... Can anyone tell us what the fix is? Is it a reworked file, some different .ini settings? The zip seems to contain the same files as the original mod, so I am guessing it has been re worked. Will give it another go.....
Dougal, what is "SO" ? I would be interested in looking at that thread... Do you have a link? thx