Sign in to follow this  
Guest dougwells

ATP pilot looking for easiest way to learn VATSIM

Guest dougwells

Hi,I've been using FSX about 18 months now and have logged almost 200 hours. Most of my time is in single engine GA aircraft and used to practice IFR procedures and approaches. I'd like to access a more realistic ATC environment and it sounds like VATSIM is an excellent choice for this.Does anyone have advice on how to best learn VATSIM? Is there an easy to use guide or video that I could download or purchase? I went to www.vatsim.net and saw the pilot guide. Is this the best route or are there some other options folks would recommend?Thanks

Hello Doug,there are a lot of free source on the internet about flying technics such as IFR and VFR flight procedures. Before you checked them do not purchase any tutorial materials, especially for your hobby Flightsimulation.I strongly advise www.vateud.org --->training department-->pilot TD which is include the most important informaitons about how to fly in VATSIM like as pilot.additional; http://www.fsstation.com/tutorials/http://www.topskills.com/flitsim.htm --------->you can purchase some of materials from here but as I said that you can find on the internet almost the same informations.have a nice flight

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

If you mean getting connected and filing a flight plan, then just go over what VATSIM offers on the site.If you mean operating procedures and you really are an ATP, it won't be any different than what you're used to. Just do what you do in the real world. That's how I started and didn't have any trouble from day one. Unless you get an inexperienced controller.

Guest dougwells

Thanks hakan"737" and Boeing Skunkworks.Yes - I'm looking for information on how to connect and use the VATSIM network. I'm completely comfortable with in-air procedures assuming I am handed off from one control to another via simple frequency changes on the navcom.Also, do I need to purchase anything to "speak" over the network. I have a mike port on my computer and can purchase a lightweight headset to plug into it but I assume I'll need some software to make this happen. I'll check the suggested sites for this information unless anyone has a thought into a headset and software they would recommend.Best,

hi again Doug,You don't need purchase anything except a microphone :) if you have speakers on desktop just you need a microphone. Headset(with microphone) is more comfortable for seperating communicate and Flightsimulator's sounds if you have two soundcard. In VATSIM, voice communication devices (program) is comes with Squawkbox or FSinn program, there is no additional voice communication program such as Teamspeak(TS) for VATSIM. Go to www.vatsim.net --->look at left column PILOT RESOURCES--->Pilot SoftwareDownload Squawkbox or FSinn. FSinn's FSX version didn't release yet (once again check on webpage) thatswhy you have to download SquawkBox4. In normally, the rest of programs works directly in Flightsimulator as interface but in FSX, Squawkbox4 will work on desktop (seperate from FSX). Be carefull to use it.Squawkbox4 has own user manual how to connect to VATSIM. Do not online on the runway :) Just only you have to do make microphone settings in Squawkbox. While you makes setting don't forget assign a PTT button. I advise "left+ctrl" button which is less using button in FS also some of people using "scroll lock" or "spacebar" for PTT button.

Guest dougwells

Excellent! This was exactly the type of information I was looking for. Thanks for your help. I hope to find some time this weekend for my first flight. I'll post here and let everyone know how it goes. 2 followup questions.- Is there an airport you might recommend for a first departure from. My home base is just south of Salt Lake City (KSLC). Would a flight from there to a smaller GA field 30 or so minutes south make sense? I use to fly out of Palo Alto (KPAO) just south of SFO. Would you suggest the Bay area for a first flight or something like SLC?- Do I understand that I'll need to use Squakbox since I am on FSX? I took your message to mean that FSInn has not been modified for FSX yet?Thanks

Doug hello,before answered your question, I'd like to give some information about that you have must base programs;I said that www.vatsim.net-->pilot resosurces-->pilot software before.let we check what you need "MEL-minimum equipment list of programs" :)basicly VATSIM requires purchase only Flight simulator, the rest of programs basicly free of charge but beyond, for advanced user, you may buy or purchase payware versions. FSX-->you have got alreadySquawkbox4.0 for FSX--->freewareFSUIPC--->you will see pilot software page at the below. FSUIPC is include freeuser and payware users. Squawkbox is working with FREE LICENCE but you can't reach some of settings with free use. is this very important? not much, it is enough for begining but for future, when you start to use additional programs such as PMDG,some of navigational guides etc, they would be need "registered FSIUPC". Good side, when you purchased once, you can upgrade newest versions.#Answer of your second question; as far as I know FSinn FSx version didn't release officially (http://www.mcdu.com/en/index.php) but acording VATSIm pilot software page links (http://usa-w.vatsim.net/prc/VPTPublic/pdfs/103h.pdf) it seems talks about FSINN installation into FSX. I didn't heard FSINN users with FSX yet, generally all FSX users flies with SB4 (squawkbox4)#answer of your first question;As you wish, you can start your flight whenever you want :) For your first flight, I advise to start in your homebase airport, so you can knowledge about software capabilities, squawkbox features with mauels etc. After that you can find a place to fly.How you decide to fly in where?we are using a few programs for monitoring where are the prople at that time as pilot or as ATC (be givinf atc services)Servinfo is the most known program for a long time; http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/home.htmit is very userfriendly program, when you press VATSIM button, all traffics will be appear whole over the world map. After that you can choose wherever you want to make flight :)another program ise Vroute (you may make search on google). It has two version, freeware and payware. I don't use too much this program (I've free use)VATspy and Dolomynum are also another monitoring programs.Don't forget, all virtual air traffic controllers are volunteers and they are giving the service in their freetime. There shouldn't be all ATC facilities at the same time from Ground to Center.Eventually, all regions has own peak time in day or nigh time. USA is really active area especially, LosAngeles , Phoenix, Saltlake City, Florida,Illinois and Kansas are the most active areas. I advise follow event announces in VATUSA or vatsim forum pages--FLYIN section.I hope answers helps you.

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

Controller exams are frequently announced on both VATSIM and IVAO networks. That can really be a fun time with aircraft arriving/departing to/from the examinee's airport. Watch the announcements pages for the various ARTCC's.

Guest dougwells

Excellent reply guys! Thanks.I look forward to using Vatsim for the first time this weekend. Hopefully both Saturday and Sunday but I'm sure my 8 year old and 6 year old will have some say in this....(as well as my wife!)Doug

Guest dougwells
...or if you have a headset you use in the A/C just get this adapter with a USB plug for your PCTelex 850 or any other light weight ones you can think ofhttp://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/adapters.htm
It is about time someone inventing something like this..... Thanks!

You can also download and use Vataware or Servinfo (both free). Either one of those will tell which facilities are currently manned...not all facilities are manned all the time. If you're familiar with ATC terminology already, I'd start at SLC...at the least Center is usually manned and sometimes all facilities are manned. As the saying on VATSIM goes "as real as it gets", so if you're a RW pilot you won't have any problems and even if you're not, the ATC guys are real friendly and helpful. Just put in the remarks section of either Sqkbox or FSinn that you're newbie and they'll keep you out of trouble. You might want start just using text and slowly move into voice. Voice is not required and a great many pilots on VATSIM use text only.Getting ahead of the game, but if you see me online (PAY3483), send me a private message and I'll be glad to help anyway I can.Jim AngelChief PilotPacific AirwaysDenver Hub

Guest dougwells
You can also download and use Vataware or Servinfo (both free). Either one of those will tell which facilities are currently manned...not all facilities are manned all the time. If you're familiar with ATC terminology already, I'd start at SLC...Getting ahead of the game, but if you see me online (PAY3483), send me a private message and I'll be glad to help anyway I can.Jim Angel
Thanks Jim. That is exactly what I did. Started in my own backyard (SLC) and went from there. Now have about 20 hours and ~50 approaches on VatSim. It is an excellent tool for staying current and ...."as real as it gets!"