Sign in to follow this  
Gumps

Your Favorite Graphical Enhancements for FS9?

When FSX came out, I of course threw money at it with new hardware, like I've always done with new versions of Flight Simulator. It's always performed reasonably for me, so I never really went back to FS9, and have been mostly content with FSX. Since PMDG (rightfully) seems to be taking their time to get the NGX ready for FSX, I figured I'd revisit FS9 and their 737NG for FS9 which I already have on my HDD.The stock graphics in FS9 are understandably...dated. But I know that many of you have spruced up the sim to bring it (I'm told) to levels near FSX. Maybe that's an overstatement, but certainly it can be enhanced. There are lot's of addons out there, what are your favorites?I have Active Sky Advanced which appears to work with both FS9 and FSX. So that's a start.I see the Avsim front page cites the release of FS Elements. That looks good.And Ground Environment looks like a good selection.Any other thoughts? What else do I need.Any comments are appreciated.Noel WBrisbane

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

A properly modded fs9 is much better than FSX overall (my opinion)Where to start..first you need these, no ifs, ands, buts..Ultimate TerrainGE ProFE ProActive SkyFSGlobal2008/FSGenesisThe rest is preference, this is what I can think of off the top of my head that I use..Soft HorizonsAISmoothAITimeoutAirLand runway/taxiway texturesAI traffic with new ACFAD files (I use skAI..but we're not supposed to talk about that here)EditVoiceActive Camera (if you dont have TrackIR)Natural World TreesLights replacementVC rain replacementAlso, can't go wrong with proper plane add-ons..Dreamfleet Baron 58Any PMDGAeroworx King AirAny carenado (new arrow has problems)I'm sure theres more that I have added over the years...hope that helps

Excellent - just what I was looking for. Thank you so much.Noel WBrisbane

A properly modded fs9 is much better than FSX overall (my opinion)Where to start..first you need these, no ifs, ands, buts..Ultimate TerrainGE ProFE ProActive SkyFSGlobal2008/FSGenesisThe rest is preference, this is what I can think of off the top of my head that I use..Soft HorizonsAISmoothAITimeoutAirLand runway/taxiway texturesAI traffic with new ACFAD files (I use skAI..but we're not supposed to talk about that here)EditVoiceActive Camera (if you dont have TrackIR)Natural World TreesLights replacementVC rain replacementAlso, can't go wrong with proper plane add-ons..Dreamfleet Baron 58Any PMDGAeroworx King AirAny carenado (new arrow has problems)I'm sure theres more that I have added over the years...hope that helps

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

No problem, there are many more programs and files out there if you look hard enough. Let me know if you need any help. :(

GE ProActive SkyFS Global 2008Flight EnvironmentUltimate Terrain USA/CanadaUltimate Terrain EuropeLet's not forget nHancer for all us nvidia GPU users.Also, a nicely tweaked .cfg file helps.I've probably forgotten something but these are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

OK here goes......Ground evnironment pro with the park and forest textures from BEVUltimate terrain seriesFS Global 2008VFR terrain UK meshActive sky advancedFlight environment X SHD clouds Real environment pro, wx environment, sun, refelction and skiesShockwave lights reduxZinertek ultimate weather environment runway lights and rain effectsFS2night v2 night textures (freeware)Water is user preference....I use a mix of jazz art, aquarama and REPNatural world treesAirport environment 7 (freeware for airports that have default scenery)A properly configured embseries bloom fileWhen REX for fs9 is released it should cut down on the number of addons required. Also the runway lights from FSelements look quite nice from the screenshots.I've only listed visual addons but with these and good scenery/aircraft/utilities then I honestly feel that my FS9 not only performs, but looks better than FSX does at the moment. Maybe this time next year I'll feel differently but at the moment theres no doubt in my mind which shortcut i'm clicking on when i want to go for a flight!

-----------The stock graphics in FS9 are understandably...dated. But I know that many of you have spruced up the sim to bring it (I'm told) to levels near FSX. Maybe that's an overstatement, but certainly it can be enhanced. There are lot's of addons out there, what are your favorites?Any comments are appreciated.Noel WBrisbane
-------------------Noel- Following the maxim that a picture is worth a thousand words- here are a couple of shots to give you an idea of what Ultimate Terrain and Ground Environment might do for you! Alex ReidDawn final for KLAXNear Port Orchard WA on a rainy Sunday afternoon

Flight environment X SHD clouds....could you add some details about how you did it? :(
Couldn't be easier...set the install directory to your fs9 folderchange the cloud resolutions to 1024x1024 and 32bit from the install optionsalso under install options make sure that you set it to only install the clouds (not the water or skies as this will crash fs9)choose your cloud textures and hit install

Guest sonictherevenge

I have noticed most of you have used mixed stuff, some freeware some payware. Or just mixing things Like GEP and BEV does this prove to be better overall. I just cant play FSX but I love how it looks Sometimes fs9 looks painted on. Just looking into how to improve FS9..........

Couldn't be easier...set the install directory to your fs9 folderchange the cloud resolutions to 1024x1024 and 32bit from the install optionsalso under install options make sure that you set it to only install the clouds (not the water or skies as this will crash fs9)choose your cloud textures and hit install
Thanks, I will give it a try....

Iñigo Bildarratz

rightseater..my VC replacement filename is rlvcrain.zip I'm sure you can find it in the library here.Sonic,We use combinations as its really what you're personal taste is. You really just need to experiment with different things and see what you like. Also, dont go by screenshots! They never looked the same on your computer. Also, fs9 never really gets rid of that 'painted on' look, its just how it was made, but add-ons certainly minimize that.Good luck

rightseater..my VC replacement filename is rlvcrain.zip I'm sure you can find it in the library here.
Thank you, I'll give it a shot

Soft Horizons question.. Someone mentioned using it together with Active Sky and GE. How can you do that, as both of those programs overwrite your sky textures each time you change a texture set? Or in my case, every time the I update wx-influenced textures from AS screen?Does that not mean that the "soft horizon" texture is overwritten as well?