Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

I have a beef...

Jim-As a very old timer I am aware of how to keep a system to snuff and all that stuff.I have worked with 4 techs and higher and higher managers from Microsoft 4 seperate times and they have all given up, they have no idea how to solve it.As a beta tester for Fsx and fs9, and fs2000 I think something is very wrong when an end user is asked to reactivate a program on random basis and then the activation is not accepted trashing the installation.Each time after a month of tech support and 4-5 different techs I am told it is a bug with Vista and that the only recourse is to reformat my computer and reinstall everything.I don't think that is a very good solution.So with all respect, I have stated I have had it. I think it is rather crazy that an operating system people rely on can go out of control on a random basis, and the people that make it don't even have a solution or idea what to do about it. The problem I have is reported by lots-Microsoft knows about it. They also have no idea how to solve it.With due respect-I don't think I "tore apart" fsx. As most know I have steadfastly supported it since its beginning. I still think it is a wonderful sim. I'd like to use it.The activation scheme used by Vista and thus by fsx is what I am tearing apart. I am not the only person to mention this and its' ugly problems.I am glad you have had none-but for those who do and it is a substantial number-it is a nightmare.

Why not just keep FSX but scrap Vista and go back to XP? :(
I may do that-however I have really lost the urge to reformat, lose many things, and spend a month getting some of it back.By the way-fsx is the only program that does this to me. I can live with Vista not wanting to update itself. It would be nice if MS refunded the $200 or so I paid for Vista-my computer ran fine with xp.

I may do that-however I have really lost the urge to reformat, lose many things, and spend a month getting some of it back.By the way-fsx is the only program that does this to me. I can live with Vista not wanting to update itself.
Why not just have fun with XPlane and be done with it? Why put yourself to any further stress in entertaining FSX? I don't accept the "blame Vista" response that most offer either. Maybe your participation in XPlane will improve that sim?Good luck and find happiness.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Why not just have fun with XPlane and be done with it? Why put yourself to any further stress in entertaining FSX? I don't accept the "blame Vista" response that most offer either. Maybe your participation in XPlane will improve that sim?Good luck and find happiness.
I think I mentioned that in my post.

Probably a silly question, but is it possible a system restore (point) could get you back to where you were?

Geofa's flirtatious relationship with "another sim" probably hurt FSX's feelings, so now it's getting even! FSX is obviously a jealous mistress! :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Geofa's flirtatious relationship with "another sim" probably hurt FSX's feelings, so now it's getting even! FSX is obviously a jealous mistress! :(
Bill-The thought did enter my mind.... :( As for system restore-the intersting thing is that when this activation issue occurs all system restore points are wiped out-convenient!

Are you running a dual-boot Cfg by chance Geofa? I have heard of problems with restore points in those cases. Have you tried going into safe mode and restoring a point?

Are you running a dual-boot Cfg by chance Geofa? I have heard of problems with restore points in those cases. Have you tried going into safe mode and restoring a point?
No dual boot. I'll try the safe mode-but from my past experience (and I probably have a list of 50 things I did from tech support) I think that was step one that didn't work.It would be nice though if something "hit"-thanks for giving some ideas-I'll give it a trial right now..

Hope you make it back.... some day. :( If you do, let me know. I'll see about sending my latest creation for you to Baron about in. :(

Hope you make it back.... some day. :( If you do, let me know. I'll see about sending my latest creation for you to Baron about in. :(
Now that is incentive! :(

Vista32 is a fickle mistress.Vista64 is a high-maintenance mistress. Pick your poison.Aren't you running a throttle/avionics stack that requires XP32?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Vista32 is a fickle mistress.Vista64 is a high-maintenance mistress. Pick your poison.Aren't you running a throttle/avionics stack that requires XP32?
Hi Rhett-They have Vista drivers.