Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Multi Crew Experience

I've only been using it with airliners just recently, where it is a big help, but I did test it with GA aircraft for the review I did and it worked okay when I did that. I know that does not help you if it aint working for you.I'll try it with the default Cessna in a while and mess with all the settings to see if anything screws up how it works and let you know what happens.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I've only been using it with airliners just recently, where it is a big help, but I did test it with GA aircraft for the review I did and it worked okay when I did that. I know that does not help you if it aint working for you.I'll try it with the default Cessna in a while and mess with all the settings to see if anything screws up how it works and let you know what happens.Al
Thanks, I appreciate. I'll try different things myself today, maybe I am just plain dumb *g*

Okay, just to prove I really did try it earlier on in FS9 with a Cessna, here's a screenshot:CessnaATC.jpgYou might be experiencing something that occasionally I've found with MCE, and that is that you'll notice the 'Accurate Callsign Required' tickbox is not checked, indicating that I should be able to get away with fairly sloppy ATC, but that can be a bit bit squiffy and so it is usually better to try and use the right call sign anyway. It did work here, I used the Callsign 'Cessna Zero Zero Mike Sierra' in that screenshot and you can see that I've just got take of clearance doing that from the fact that the ATC window says 'no message to transmit'. and I did tune the radio myself manually by clicking the radio window with the mouse.Here's another trick to try that sometimes unjams things if that does not work; with the ATC window open (which you can open by saying 'show ATC'), don't press your transmit button and then say 'ATC 1' and see if it kicks MCE into life by choosing whatever ATC option 1 is (if you have 'use pilot voice' selected in the FS preferences, you'll hear it), then you could turn that off if it annoys you and you want to do the talking yourself. I normally tell the co-pilot to set flaps 5 when an airliner flight starts, just to see if he responds, and if not, then I'll select an ATC option the way I just mentioned and it seems to kick things into gear, although to be fair to MCE, it normally works right off the bat for me.Hope that helps.Al

Alan Bradbury

Al,I have tried your suggestions and still unable to voice communicate with ATC. If I say "Option (whatever)" I get the response. Accurate call sign box not checked. Used same Cessna. Calling up ATC window works.I'm using Microsoft Lifechat 3000 earphones and mike, usb connection. Are you using a separate sound car perhaps? I'm using the on board one. Again, all other commands are responed to though. Also, how do you have the MCE window open when in full screen mode? I have the auto hide box unchecked, and yet I am unable to access the MCE window in full window mode. Even in windowed mode the box reduces itself in size but does stay on the screen, not so in full window mode.Also, what are your settings in the voice and sounds panel in Control panel? I have Lifechat 1000 by MS. I don't know if this could be the problem, but doubt it since all other commands receive a response.Thanks,Jim D.

Good day.To Mr. Chock:I have read your review and seen the video + videos posted by the dev's.What I really would like to know (and see in a video) is the running of checklists. Is the voice as robotic when it has a whole sentence to chew out, as oposed to the way the voice handles multible words that it combines in a split second.What I mean is, checlists are sentences that have been put together or does the program still search for words and put them together like a robot??The other thing I would like to know: Do you know how well MCE handles/plays with the PSS 777 & 757?? According to your review, MCE glues well together with the PSS Concorde, so I was hoping that the PSS Boeings would be a dream with the MCE program. I am looking for a realistic and interactive checklist function with the PSS Boeings, since I've given up hope for a FS2Crew version for either of those birds.Thanks in advance.Golli.

Mmm, sounds like you are having big problems. I would suggest contact the MCE devs with some questions or you could try here: http://rainbird.heavenforum.com/mce-general-discussion-f2/That being a forum where a lot of MCE questions get answered. I won't pretend to be an expert on all aspects of MCE, I did review it for Avsim, but I daresay the product developers will be better placed to answer any really specific issues where hardware might be concerned and if you come across someone on that forum with hardware similar to your own, obviously they'll be able to have a better shot at advising you on settings. I do know that there are specific versions of MCE for various operating systems and there is a new patch out too apparently, although I've not installed that patch as yet but I think I'll give it a look out of curiosity even though MCE seems to work okay for me at the moment..Some of your questions I certainly can answer though. I tried MCE with both a PCI soundcard (Muse) and built in motherboard sound, and it worked with both, but now I am using the on board sound on my ASUS motherboard because I prefer to keep stuff minimal on the motherboard and so I removed the soundcard. Headset connection is via two normal small pink/green headphone jacks into the motherboard inputs, rather than USB, and using Realtek HD audio input and output on the PC control panel settings, with nothing particularly out of the ordinary on any other settings.The headset I am using is nothing fancy either. Incidentally, I did try using a desk mike too when reviewing MCE, but that does not work very well in practical terms, so I reverted to a headset and in actual fact my headset went on the blink (lost the left channel in the headset) whilst I was reviewing MCE and so I bought the ones I have now which are nothing fancy at all (I've honestly no clue what brand they are because I can't read the text on the logo they have on them and it's not one I've ever heard of), but they seem to work pretty well all the same. so it's my opinion that you don't need the world's greatest hardware to have it work okay, but it is worth it to train up your voice a couple of times with the MCE utility to get it to work pretty faultlessly.To get the MCE control panel to show up in full screen mode you can do one of two things: either say 'show control panel' and it should pop up, but if it does not, alt tab out of FS and in your PC's system tray you will see an option to force MCE to the front view if you click on the MCE icon.EDIT; @ Golli - I would try out the demo for yourself if I were you ( http://www.multicrewxp.com/index.html ) then you will know for yourself if it works how you would want it to. I have not got either the PSS 757 or the 777 so I really couldn't say how it gels with either of them. The voices you hear when running the checklists are based on whatever SAPI-compliant voice packs you have installed on your computer, so they could be good or bad depending on your point of view and what you have installed and selected. Personally I don't mind the default voices but I know a lot of people don't like them, so it's really a personal preference, but by default if you have no other voice packs installed, then yes, they will be the robotic standard 'MS Mike' 'MS Mary' etc type voices.Al

Alan Bradbury

Thanks Al;I have been in contact with the developers and those manning the rainbird site. Up til now no solutions have been found. I'll probably try a pin version headphone just to eliminate any doubt that the issue is with USB.Jim D.

I haven't solved the problem, but I found out WHAT is wrong:MCE distorts my callsing internally. If I have a callsign "Lima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero One", MCE shows it as "Lima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero OneLima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero One" or even "ne Lima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero OneLima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero One" in ist program window. It doesn't depend on whcih plane I use - even one I frehsly installed shows this anomaly. Sometimes, the callsign will not be displayed doubled, but tripled. Sometimes, only parts o fit show up, mixed with a text string that was part of a text shown in FSX. This might also change within a single flight. The only plane that seems to work in part is the stock 737 with callsign "Boeing" - this is the only callsign displayed (no flight number, nothing).When I use a plane with a co-pilot and ask him about the callsign, he says: "Sure: Lima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero OneLima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero One". And when I ask him to communicate with ground, he says: "Lima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero OneLima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero One request request taxi, departing straight out." Note that he actually says "request" two times!On the other hand, a call sign "NVD223R" on a Carenado was interpreted as "November Viktor". So somtehing seems to be screwed up big time internally. Here

I just received this email from the FS++ support team. Seems you hit on the problem. Contact them so as to obtain the update.Jim D.Email received: Hi, Nothing is wrong with your mike. You will probably be pleased to hear that we have identified a potential problem with Call-sign for non-airline types. It has now been fixed. You need to download the up to date package by going to the FTP site given to you earlier Please uninstall MCE first. This package should really get your ATC on Cessna sorted. Note: Because there is no co-pilot available on Cessna, nobody will remind you whether you got your call sign wrong. And if call-sign is wrong, your transmission will be rejected. So here is a reminder Let's assume your call sign is Cessna Lima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero One ( for aircraft registration: LAR001) Here is a list of acceptable call-signs Cessna Lima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero OneLima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero OneCessna Zero Zero One You can find out about your exact call-sign by looking at the "ATC" tab in user interface. Let us know as soon as you have downloadedRegards, The FS++ team

I just received this email from the FS++ support team. Seems you hit on the problem. Contact them so as to obtain the update.Jim D.Email received: Hi, Nothing is wrong with your mike. You will probably be pleased to hear that we have identified a potential problem with Call-sign for non-airline types. It has now been fixed. You need to download the up to date package by going to the FTP site given to you earlier Please uninstall MCE first. This package should really get your ATC on Cessna sorted. Note: Because there is no co-pilot available on Cessna, nobody will remind you whether you got your call sign wrong. And if call-sign is wrong, your transmission will be rejected. So here is a reminder Let's assume your call sign is Cessna Lima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero One ( for aircraft registration: LAR001) Here is a list of acceptable call-signs Cessna Lima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero OneLima Alpha Romeo Zero Zero OneCessna Zero Zero One You can find out about your exact call-sign by looking at the "ATC" tab in user interface. Let us know as soon as you have downloadedRegards, The FS++ team
yep, received the update, fixed the problem for me. I am really impressed by their service.

Guest DC-8 Jet Trader
yep, received the update, fixed the problem for me. I am really impressed by their service.
I created my own program for that :(My girlfriend is my FO during my weekend flights and during the week she's doing calculations while communicating via skype :(

I created my own program for that :(My girlfriend is my FO during my weekend flights and during the week she's doing calculations while communicating via skype :(
MCE = 47,59 Euro. That girlfriend = priceless:-)

Glad to hear that. I, however, am still experiencing some problems. Here is what I wrote FS++:"Downloaded new MCE program. Still some problems though.1. Call sign shows as

I also noticed now that it isn't working consistently. It seems you are right: make a mistake and it's over :-)

FS++ emailed me that another update due in about 24 hours. I'll wait for that one and post here with my results.Jim D.