Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guruswarmyoz

The VERY best of freeware a/c? and why?

We all have our favourites -- but what is it that we like about them so much.So what is the VERY best of those out there -- and WHY are they the VERY best.For me , the best around is Oleksey Frolovs' Dash8-300 . The reason for this is the accuracy of the panel, combined with the heart stopping sounds and the (almost) complete implementation of all the aircraft systems. He is currently working on an FMC to go with it. OK - so it has no VC and the aircraft model is not the greatest . But the 3 aspects I named are what does it for me.So- what are your thoughts here? Please though - if you do have a real favourite , give your reasons of WHY it appeals to you so much.

Guest crashing_pilot

Dash 7 by Milton Shupe,Scott Thomas and Joao Paz.1:i can put a 50 person airliner on almost any runway2:it has wonderful sounds3:it performs great on my p3 500.4:the thing looks absolutely beautiful...both inside and out...the panel guy is an artist.i just love the way it handles,what you can do with it,and the service i got from the team.

Guest Henri W

Barry,For me it is also Oleksiy's Dash8-Q300 for the very same reasons you have.Best regards,Henri

Guest danowat

Hi,Well for me it would have to be the AFG YS-11, The reason's for this are as follows.It is a very unique plane, it has a wonderfull 2D and 3D panel, and it is a plane that you have to fly properly.The model and textures are great, the whole package is definatly payware quality.I think it is one of, if not the only FS2002 plane that will cut the engines if you thrash them.Dan.

First of all, my real favorites are payware; Meridian, Cardinal, Archer, SF260... but as far as freeware goes: the RealAir 172 with the newly updated Dreamfleet panel, and the Falcon50 by Y Lavigne - F Banting - R Young are both outstanding.. the 172 for the flight model and panel, and the Falcon for the looks, both inside and outside, coupled with one of the best panels ever!***Edit: the 172 Dreamfleet panel does not really qualify, since it uses payware gauges and requires the Cardinal to be installed.. even so, the RealAir 172 is still worth it even when simply flown with the supplied virtual cockpit..

Bert

Guest Mavropetsakis

Kari's Fouga Magister...great model(+VC) ,paint,gauges(!!) and sounds

Guest UweR

Hmmm, until yesterday I would have had the RCS B-25J on the tableau!Will need to rethink this...Best Regards, Uwe

Barry, I'm with you and Henri - it's Frolov's Dash8 300 for me. There's nothing quite like the feeling of pushing the throttle forward on the take off roll. I've got a big sub-woofer under my desk. It makes my windows rattle. I love it! I've got several very good payware aircraft in my hangar that have seen little action since Oleksiy released the dash.A couple other really worthwhile freeware projects, the Falcon-50 is outstanding, and Bill Grabowski's ERJ-145 panel is excellent.

Guest PhilipManwaring

I agree with those who've suggested Oleksi's Dash-8, Milton's Dash-7, and the AFG YS-11. The YS-11 in particular is simply superb. For those who prefer jets to props, the combination of Mike Stone's 727 with Charles Fox's flight dynamics and Richard Probst's panel makes for one of the best freeware classic jets you can find.

Meljet 777.A lot of planes have the dynamic shine. A lot have the opening doors, moving thrust reversers, cargo doors, etc. Some even have virtual cabins. But the MJ 777 has ALL of these, plus the maintenance mode, which to my knowledge no other plane out there comes close on.

My favorite freeware GA plane is by far "Geofa's" Debonair. The detail textures inside and outside are excellent. It's one of the few planes freeware or payware that has a visible engine cowling out the front windshield. My first real plane ride (at 10 years old) was in a V35. So simflying the Debonair brings back all the memories.My favorite freeware airliner is Mike Stones 727. My first airline flight was on a PSA 727 and my ex-wife's father was a PSA 727 Captian.Sskoup

Not being biased, but I love our 767 series! I have always loved the 767-300 and its a real treat being able to fly it with an amazing PIC panel.Geoff and James' Beech Debonair is also an excellent GA aircraft, along with the Gmax Commander. Both come with a great VC, panel and the Commander with it's sounds!Also the brilliant Project Fokker F-70 & F-100s cannot go without a mention. The sounds are excellent, the panel is pretty good too!There are certainly lots to chose from! I'd say we're very lucky to have the miriad of freeware choices we do today! :)btw, nice to see another from Brissy, Bazza :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers