Sign in to follow this  
FlyinMisfit

FSX

hi All,could a hardware prob. be causing FSX to crash with "terrain.dll" being the culprit? (according to Event Viewer) also, sometimes the computer will restart on its own during a flight with FSX. i'm using the PMDG 747X with FS2Crew and RCv4. all scenery and weather(RWW) is stock FSX. a few days ago i turned the computer on and the case fans were running but the computer did nothing. no BIOS Splash screen or POST msg., no BIOS beep codes no nothing. it was like the case fans were the only thing getting power. i turned the computer off using the PSU on/off switch. turned off the UPS battery back-ups surge protector and waited several minutes. then i turned everything back on turned the computer back on WindowsXP Pro X-64 booted fine. only prob. was less than 1/2 a minute after the desktop appeared the computer reboots itself without any input from me. i've ran Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware AE and neither finds anything. spyware/adware doesn't appear to be the prob. all this is happening with a less than 3 wk. old clean WINXP Pro X-64 install. thanks in advance for any and all help. happy flyin, FM

I've had that happen with computers before and in order of what to look for, I'd suggest:Power Supply Unit on its way out and going intermittent - they usually start to smell of burning electical wiring when that happens, so get up close and give it a sniff.Screws or pegs from the CPU fan busted and not secured to the motherboard properly - consequently causing the CPU to lift out of contact due to heat expansion from inadequate cooling. Clean any crap out of the cooling unit's heat sink, if it is clogged up with dust that can cause overheats and cutting out too.Motherboard or RAM going on the blink and needing replacing or checking to see if connections are loose - RAM can work loose sometimes and that can cause intermittent crashes when the stuff expands due to heat and forces itself out of the socket, then it cools down, drops back into contact, and starts working again until the cycle repeats.Remote other possibility; have you added another card or peripheral that is drawing power from the PSU and making too high a demand on it? Whatever it is, be sure to earth yourself prior to poking around inside your computer checking things, that is in order to discharge potentially harmful static electricity from your body, which can otherwise discharge into computer components and fry them. Also, disconnect the power lead too before doing poking about to avoid the danger of electricty discharging into you and giving you a nasty shock. If you are lucky, it will be something having worked loose, if not you might be into spending some cash to fix it.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

hi Alan,thanks for the info. i haven't smelled anything from the PSU yet. i just replaced the memory recently. unfortunately, that didn't fix problem. the CPU fan is quite clean and is secured as well as the memory and other components and connections so i don't think that's the prob. i do ground myself when i'm handling/touching any of the PC's hardware. i don't think the Corei7's are worth upgrading to from the QX9650 Extreme that i'm using now so i think i'm going to try another mobo. that i have laying around and see what happens. also, i haven't added any power hungry devices recently. i'm currently using an Enermax "Galaxy" 850W PSU. again, thanks for the suggestions. happy flyin, FM