Nick, here is the link to the PSU specs taken from Enermax's site........http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_49&products_id=115as for the memory, i was first using the Corsair XMSDDR3 1333 at 9-9-9-24 @ 1.7 volts. (Corsairs rec. voltage at those timings) 2 x 1GB sticks. a month or two later i decided to lower the timings to 8-8-8-20 @ 1.9 volts. and, that's when i had the first restart with FSX. i dl'd. MemTest86 (lastest version) that runs from within DOS from a 3.5 floppy 8-10 hrs. straight with no errors. i'm currently using new Mem. (less than 1 mo. old) Mushkin DDR3 1333 8-8-8-20 @ 1.7 volts (Mushkin recs. 1.7-1.8 volts) 2 x 2GB sticks with FSX still crashing or the PC restarting - with 2 different Mobos. i haven't had a chance yet to check the Mushkin with MemTest. i know that MemTest is not 100% accurate. that's why i replaced the Corsair Mem. with the Mushkin. in case you may have forgotten, my full Sys. Spec.'s is a few posts above in this thread. let me know if u need any further info., spec.'s or otherwise. thanks for the help. btw, i decided to play it safe with the Mushkin. in the BIOS, DRAM FREQ. is set to Auto, DRAM TIMING CONTROL is set to AUTO & the DRAM VOLTAGE is set to 1.7 volts manually. according to the BIOS info. the Mushkin Mem. is running at 1333Mhz. when i was using the Corsair Mem. the DRAM FREQ. was set to 1333Mhz manually as well as the timings at 1.7 volts(9-9-9-24), 1.9 volts(8-8-8-20) and, according to the BIOS info. the Corsair Mem. "was" running at 1333 Mhz. happy flyin, FM

Guest Nick_N

Just an FYIWhen upgrading the BIOS on the P5E3 Deluxe there is a specific order that must be followed.. even Asus notes that which is not something they typically do.After a BIOS flash the user must power down completely.. (Power OFF) for about 10 seconds, then (Power ON) - restart, enter the BIOS and at the exit screen, select LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS then F-10 save and exit and allow a reboot.. then enter the BIOS and set it up.If that procedure is not followed the BIOS will not update correctly which can lead to instability problems.That is how I update -any- BIOS and have for years.. in this case Asus specifies that process for a reason. Latest BIOS is 1409 but it is BETA according to the websiteP5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP@n BIOS 14091. Enhance compatibility with certain memory modules. Last Official BIOS was 1303P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP@n BIOS 1303In order for Express Gate to function with this version of BIOS, please update Express Gate to version 1.2.0.0 or laterSupport new CPUs. I doubt the PSU is the issue here. Although a defect is possible its certainly not a power issue from an overtaxed PSU.Using CPUz check the SPD tab and set the dropdown to a populated slot.. post the exact model number of this memory and if possible the CPU, Mainboard, Memory and SPD CPUz tabs with data

hi Nick,i did follow that prcedure with at least 1 maybe 2 BIOS updates (can't remeber if it was one or two of them) that included that procedure posted with the BIOS file(s) at the time of posting. the one that is currently installed (1203) did not have that procedure posted with the 1203 file so i did not use that procedure with the 1203 update. i did not know that it was required for all until reading this post. the BIOS update that requires the Express Gate utility to be updated i did not bother with that one because i have Express Gate disabled anyway. and, i've never updated a BIOS utility b4 and i was concerned that if i botched the update the board might be useless. i hope the screenshots of the CPUz info. you requested show up in this post. not very good at this sort of thing either but i will give it a try. so here they are (hopefully)

unfortunately it didn't work Nick. nothing i try seems to work.update: Nick, if you can give me ur e-mail address. i will email them to you. thanks,, FMupdate#2: Nick, disregard this post. see post below.

Nick, here they are. finally. FYI, the PC restarted on me in the middle of all this tonight. 1st time it's done this actually doing something else besides playing Flight Simulator X. thx, FM

Guest Nick_N

OK.. give me the memory tab.. you got them all but the MEMORY tabEDIT: You have SPEEDSTEP running.. thats a NO NO when clocking.. do you also have LOAD LINE CALIBRATION: DISABLED?ADVANCE CPU MENU - SHUT IT ALL DOWNDisable all the CPU crap under the Advanced CPU Configuration menu

here you go Nick. sorry about that. SPEEDSTEP is disabled. also,the CPU voltage is manually set to 1.29375 volts. i'm a little confused here. the other CPU settings that you mentioned that should be disabled when o/c'g has been enabled since i've had this setup. and, i haven't had any of the probs. that i'm having now except for early last year when i tried lowering the Mem. timings to 8-8-8-20 and after going back to the 9-9-9-24 timings i've had no more probs. until the last month or so. and nothing has been changed since setting the Mem. timings back to the triple 9 timings. i do remember reading in one of my Maximum PC mags. prior to getting the QX9650 Extreme that SPEEDSTEP should be disabled when o/c'g Any of the Core2 procs. but they didn't mention anything about disabling the settings that you mentioned in your above post. and, i'm not saying that your wrong and their right. all of this is driving me nuts. there doesn't seem to be a pattern of any kind at all with this mess. thanks for all the help. happy flyin, FM

Guest Nick_N

Go back up and look at your CPU speed2GHz?look at the multiplier6x?look at the Vcore.. 1.25?Your processor is being controlled by power management which includes speedstep and CE1That is a source of instability and although I am not saying that is your problem no self respecting clocker leaves those advanced CPU features ENABLED due to how the fluctuations can create strage problems however you are welcome to do as you wish.Muskin specifies 1.80v completely safe for 991652 modules which is what I would set them toFind LOAD LINE CALIBRATION and ENABLE it, then set the CPU vcore to 1.28-1.30 manually.. but I would shut down at the very least CE supoport to keep power management from contolling the multiplier and voltage. CPUz should show you the full 3.7GHz clock and vcore you set in the BIOSWhat is your CPU VTT set to in the BIOS? (AKA: FSB Termination Voltage) AUTO?If so, set it to 1.28vCPU PLL voltage to 1.50vWhat is the NB Voltage set to in the BIOS? Auto?Try 1.40v

Nick, i will give All of those settings a try and see what happens. as i mentioned in my previous post the CPU voltage is manually set to 1.29375 volts. i don't think the LoadLine Calibration setting is in the BIOS but i will double check and if it is i will enable it and set the Mem. voltage to 1.8 volts as well. if possible, i'll make another flight in FSX this weekend and let you know how it goes. thanks again for all of your time and help. happy flyin, FMupdate-Nick, the BIOS settings you suggested in your previous post has been applied. the Load Line Calibration setting was in there & is Enabled. below is a shot of the CPU tab in CPUz after your recommended settings were applied. notice the CPU voltage - it's still not showing the CPU voltage of 1.29375v that the CPU voltage is Manually set to in the BIOS. is this a prob.? if so, is it a Mobo. or PSU prob? or neither? however, the voltage is not fluctuating up and down in CPUz like it was prior to your settings being applied. i'm assuming because i disabled C1E Support. btw, so much for trying a flight in FSX this wknd. i suppose. this idiot PC restarted itself again in the middle of posting this info. and when Windows booted after the restart Windows wasn't working. i had to shut down the PC via the PSU power switch and reboot. so i decided to put your suggested settings in your previous post back to default except for the C1E Support which i left disabled. you wouldn't happen to know where i could find a stick of Dynamite rather quickly would ya? happy flyin, FM

Guest Nick_N

Did it crash after applying the settings I posted or no?If not .. use it and see what happensIf it did then my suggestion is to put this system back to default... everything.. NO CLOCKING and use itIf it crashes then you a hard failure and yes, the PSU is suspectThese types of crashes are the worse to diagnose. They can be PSU, Memory, defective CPU, bad PSU connectior on the motherboard itself, etc. One of the reasons I keep a spare PSU around is for this exact issue.Do a wiggle test and be carefull doing it.. open the tower with it booted and check all the mains by giving them a bit of a wiggle.. DONT unplug anything just gently wiggle the connectors from the PSU to the motherboard and the video card.. if it shuts off, you found your culprit which is either the plug or the socket connection. I have even seen video cards not seated correctly in the slot do this

Nick, i'm going to go ahead and order another PSU. if that's not the prob., like you said i've got a spare. then, i'll try one the i7 procs. which will require a new mobo., processor, & memory. hopefully, after all that prob. solved. i will report back after i get the new PSU installed and a little testing done. again, thanks for all of your time and help. happy flyin, FM

Nick, please check out the following link below and let me know what you think. the "zombie with fans" statement describes my system to a tea on 3 diffeternt occasions (2 this wk.) in the last 2-3 wks. after the initial boot failure, on all 3 occasions, when i turned off the sytem via the pwr. switch on the PSU then waited a few seconds to several minutes then turned the pwr. switch on the PSU back on then hit the Pwr. button on the PC again the system booted up. however, on 1 of those 3 occasions less than 1/2 a minute after the system booted up the PC restarted itself. before i forget, on all 3 occasions during the "zombie state" both of the exhaust fans, the fan on the back of the PSU, and the front case fans were running. the bottom exhaust fan is not connected directly to the PSU like the other 4 fans are. it's connected to the Chassis Fan1 connector on the Mobo. based on that, when the Pwr switch on the PC is pressed part(s) of the Mobo. is getting power at least. i don't know if the ASUS P5E3 Deluxe WIFi Mobo. that i have has the capability to emit a BIOS beep code that indicates a missing or faulty CPU. perhaps you do. thanks for checking this out and any suggestions you may have about this. after reading the article i started thinking that the PSU "might not" be the prob. after all. http://duartes.org/gustavo/blog/post/how-computers-boot-up happy flyin, FM