Sign in to follow this  
PLazarus

Looking for a new toy

Hi,I just recently moved fully to FSX. i already own the LDS767, PMDG 744 and MD11 as well as the F1 PC12. I am looking for a mid range plane to satisfy my needs until PMDG comes up with the 737.Any suggestions?I thought about the F1 Mustang as an option. Thoughts on that? I am open to anything really ( as long as it's been designed for FSX only ).I am a "systems guy" so love pushing buttons!!!!Any help appreciated.Thanks,Paul

Hi,I just recently moved fully to FSX. i already own the LDS767, PMDG 744 and MD11 as well as the F1 PC12. I am looking for a mid range plane to satisfy my needs until PMDG comes up with the 737.Any suggestions?I thought about the F1 Mustang as an option. Thoughts on that? I am open to anything really ( as long as it's been designed for FSX only ).I am a "systems guy" so love pushing buttons!!!!Any help appreciated.Thanks,Paul
The Mustang is really well done and certainly fits the description of a great new toy IMHO.Great panel, both 2d and VC, lots of fun to fly and things to learn if you have not used the G1000 before.In a way, it is similar to the PC12 in that it lands at 90 kts, but with integrated avionics and of course two jet engines in the back. :( I believe Zane Gard has an Avsim review in the making..

Bert

The Citation Mustang is a good choice, although keep in mind that it is a simulation of an aircraft with a Mach .65 speed limit and like the real Mustang, is marketed as an aircraft for fairly novice pilots to make a transition to jets on, so it is not a very complex bird by deliberate design, being certified for single-pilot operation in the States. That's one of the reasons why it has no overhead - so regular Cessna piston-engine pilots don't feel overwhelmed by it. But, it lands at 90 knots and can cruise up very high, so it's a good sightseeing craft for sure.If you want something faster along similar lines, the Wilco Citation X is for FS9 and FSX and will go very much faster than that, i.e Mach .91, and that does have a lot of complex systems modeled and a very in-depth FMC too. But also keep in mind that the Wilco Citation doesn't like importing default FSX flight plans into its FMC, so you might find yourself inputting them by hand, although if you like playing with systems, that could be seen as a plus point. Not exactly a pure FSX bird, but it works well enough in that version.If you aren't too bothered about flat-out speed, the ATR-72 - also for FS9 and FSX - is a great and indeed complex short haul airliner that simulates pretty much everything on the real one and looks great too, and it has the advantage of being supported by a dedicated FS2Crew co-pilot add on. Again this is not a totally FSX only bird, but for all that, it runs great in FSX.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I have the Mustang but it's probably not the most rate-friendly aircraft in my collection (plus it scored very low on the Petraeus Scale). Having said that it is a beautifully designed add-on. I can second the Citation X recommendation; it has one of the best cockpits I have seen on any payware. Another Wilco bird I fly regularly is their Embraer Legacy. It has an excellent VC (slightly better than their Embraer 145), detailed soundset, and an in depth systems modelling including FMC. The lack of an auto throttle also adds to the challenge of flying this bird, especially during descent and approach, where power management becomes quite crucial. It can also import FS flight plans relatively easily. Since you have a lot of Boeing birds in your hangar you may find the Embraer approach to doing things a nice change from the "norm." Alternatively you can get their E-Jets but I have not flown those often enough to be able to comment.

Wilco's E-jets are pretty good, but they're not really for button-pushers; I can have the whole thing set up for flight (excluding FMC setup) with maybe 10 different motions (starting engines, setting flaps, etc). If you don't mind the automation, however, they're nice airplanes to fly around; easy-handling, pretty good range, and decent speed.If you do consider them, also consider buying the McPhat texture set; it adds E-jet operators from all corners of the world, with the typical McPhat quality (read: incredible).

Guest Mendota
Wilco's E-jets are pretty good, but they're not really for button-pushers; I can have the whole thing set up for flight (excluding FMC setup) with maybe 10 different motions (starting engines, setting flaps, etc). If you don't mind the automation, however, they're nice airplanes to fly around; easy-handling, pretty good range, and decent speed.If you do consider them, also consider buying the McPhat texture set; it adds E-jet operators from all corners of the world, with the typical McPhat quality (read: incredible).
As you can tell from my sig, I am a big fan of the E-Jet. I respectfully disagree that they are not for button-pushers, though. They have more buttons than you can shake a finger at. The MFD has Map, Plan and System, with drop-down menus to check various boxes. The FMC has more options than I have ever seen, and some very clever implementation of treats. Besides the familiar lateral navigation display, you get a vertical profile page displayed beneath which is cool. This is a surprisingly complicated airplane as far as flight management goes, although it is more like the Airbus in keeping the overhead automated and simple. It hand-flies very nicely, too.Plus you get an attractive flight attendant!The McPhat textures are awesome. If there's an airline flying E-Jets that is not represented, I don't know what it would be. They even have the coolest-named airline of all time: Baboo Airlines :-) We're talking ridiculous amounts of fantastic texture, although to get all of them costs a little more (well worth it).They are definitely mid-range, don't underestimate these birds. They are a legitimate alternatives to the usual Airbus Boeing scene, and in my opinion Wilco's best effort to date. I can't imagine being disappointed with it.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.in the end i went for the f1 mustang. so far i am enjoying it ... hard work to learn which buttons to press... but a great plane.I might well look at that feelthere option soon, but let me see. Also there is the realair duke in the pipeline!Paul