Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sky_6

Help on setting up a SERVER for our club...

Guest PO_

Gamespy on FSX is becomming a burden for our Club that fly's on Multiplayer.(we are not a VA, some ATC sessions, mostly prop hops)Now that we are growing to a descent size, we are interested in moving on to our own "server".We don't no where to begin, so all info is appreciated...------From what I understand, we would use something like FShost to connect....-We are looking NOT to run a server from one of our computers, but purchase a Virtual server (if that is possible)...any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks,PO'

Gamespy on FSX is becomming a burden for our Club that fly's on Multiplayer.(we are not a VA, some ATC sessions, mostly prop hops)Now that we are growing to a descent size, we are interested in moving on to our own "server".We don't no where to begin, so all info is appreciated...------From what I understand, we would use something like FShost to connect....-We are looking NOT to run a server from one of our computers, but purchase a Virtual server (if that is possible)...any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks,PO'
In the realm of FSX, I myself have looked into game server companies that could host FSX. Unfortunately, no one seems to be willing to host such a demanding game. I would personally recommend instead that you look into the possibility of hosting the server off of a dedicated computer instead. I know that you don't want to host it off of your computers, but it really is the only way that is currently possible. Here's some tips I recommend for your server.Save up some money, buy a decent motherboard, processer, and ram for this machine. Remember that FSX is more CPU demanding than GPU demanding.Free up as many resources as you can on the machine that will be hosting the server by ending all unnecessary processes and background services on the computer. This way there is a reduction in server lag around heavily visited areas and the computer will have more room to breathe.Try to see if you can get a static IP address from your ISP. They are a little pricy, but it does beat having to constantly tell people what the new IP address has changed to.Place the server on the DMZ if the server is sitting behind a firewall and a router.Operate the server with the person who has the fastest and most reliable internet connection.The list goes on...If your group is looking for a place to meet, feel free to visit our dedicated server. Operating 24 / 7 since Mid-Summer 2006, Chicago Flights™ has always welcomed new aviators. We allow registered pilots to connect directly to our server without the use of Gamespy (which is the ONLY way to connect :( ). Regardless if you fly in the Chicagoland area or not, we would love to host your events and your pilots.Hopefully this helps to get you started!

Gamespy on FSX is becomming a burden for our Club that fly's on Multiplayer.(we are not a VA, some ATC sessions, mostly prop hops)Now that we are growing to a descent size, we are interested in moving on to our own "server".
There is no such thing as a "GAMESPY SERVER" .. Gamespy does not HOST a FSX session on a Gamespy Server.All gamespy does, is to provide a method to announce & introduce players to YOUR FSX Server.YOU run the FSX server -- its your FSX in HOSTING Mode.Therefore , it is unclear what you really mean by the above quote.What is becomming a burden ???