Sign in to follow this  
badaboom

**FSDT KLAS New Release**

Guest simjunkie

That's awesome news! Been waiting for that. But I can't reach the download! :( Now I gotta wait even longer.-jk

What would be the FPS impact from it? I think I might add this to my list of things to buy in the future.

Guest simjunkie

Better now. Got it and flew around a little. This is an absolute must have and it fits great with megasceneryX las vegas. I'm not too suprised because I expected it to be this good. I'm sure I'll discover more. FPSwise there's got to be a hit, I don't know how much but it does affect.These guys are so good at this! I know they only do airports but just think of what they could do with complete cities! Anyway for $33 it's a great buy.-jk

Guest 413X3

I just wish they would do a KLAX and PANC

:( The link to download it is not working for me. The other airports will, but not KLAS.

Jim Wenham

Guest firehawk44
What would be the FPS impact from it? I think I might add this to my list of things to buy in the future.
Best you check it out for yourself on your machine. The download is a trail version which works for about 10 minutes so you can try before you buy. Best regards,Jim

Best you check it out for yourself on your machine. The download is a trail version which works for about 10 minutes so you can try before you buy. Best regards,Jim
Great idea. Thanks for the info.

I downloaded it and was blown away by the detail and quality but.....Have you checked out the night lighting, especially the HUGE green taxi lights? Those suckers look 4 feet tall! Also there seems to be little to no night lighting for the runways. I may wait a bit and see if they fix those issues before I buy. Everything else is simply awsome and the performance hit is nill but not sure about the nite runway lighting and taxi lights.2009-4-18_22-22-31-515.jpg

Jim Wenham

I downloaded and installed it. Great airport scenery. But they currently have some major AFCAD problems with the default AFCAD included. The main one is it does not include a crosswind runway AFCAD, and this is the kiss of death for any KLAS scenery. The AI will back up on the taxiways and runways until a logjam prevents any realistic AI activity. Until someone develops a crosswind runway AFCAD for the scenery, it is almost useless as far as AI traffic is concerned. That's the nature of AI and any KLAS scenery.There are some other not so major issues, like GA and Cargo aircraft parking at the gates. They are working on this, according to their forum. One reason for the GA parking problem is a severe lack of GA parking spots in the AFCAD. The AFCAD also does not include the real-world "stands" for what I think are the overflow parking areas. They are supposedly working on fixing those items also.But the major problem is no crosswind runway AFCAD right now. It makes the scenery "AI Useless" at higher AI settings.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Overall this is a very good scenery, although the two major issues so far that I see have already been pointed out in previous posts:(1) Centeline taxi lights -- way too bright and give the image of a light extenting vertically from the ground. Does not look good at all. In my experience, the center green lights are a small and have a dimmer appearance then the blue taxi edge lights. (2) AFCAD -- Need crosswind runways as well as better parking designations. There is a lack of GA parking, and also the US Airways gates are marked with "AWE" For me, I had to go into AFX and change these to "USA". (Otherwise 20 or so US Airways planes simply do not show up -- I use WOAI) I also added about 10 GA spots across the field and it seems to work much better--There are no longer Learjets parking at the gates. Hopefully a crosswind runway solution will be offered soon by the developer. I know there is a way to do it, but why spend all that time and effort with payware? I would like to see the developers making sure their AFCADS are up to the quality of their scenery (This goes for Imagine Sim's Charlotte as well).FSDT has done a very nice job, and Fort Lauderdale looks stunning as well. This is a clear advantage to the Mach-1 freeware or the simflyers. It also by the way looks outstanding with the Mega Scenery X Las Vegas package. As far as framerates go, I think they are pretty solid. Similar to Fly Tampa in FS9, FSDT seems to find a way to achieve fairly good performance without slowing the frames. I am glad to see a developer finally making some good US scenery for FSX.

Update: There is a "work in progress" AFCAD update for the FSDT KLAS scenery. Right now it adds crosswind runways and more GA parking spots. A forum member named "Harpsi" is developing it, and it can be found as an attachment to his post in the below thread at the FSDT forum. Scroll down to his post (I think it is the 10th post in the thread) and look for the attached file at the bottom of his post. You can download it with a simple mouse-click. I just downloaded it and haven't tried it yet, but Harpsi has done other AFCADs for other FSDT airports I have, and they have been a big improvement at those airports.http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1703.0RickEDIT\UPDATE: I just tried the new AFCAD. All the jetways are now gone, and that has been reported in the FSDT forum also. It appears the AFCAD was edited using the AFX program, which may "delete" some scenery items depending on how the original AFCAD was made. Waiting to see how this one plays out in the FSDT forum. Good news is the crosswind runways, in conjunction with using AISmooth v1.20, has solved most of the AI "backing up" issues. I ran a test with my AI at 100% (using MyTrafficX)...and I would NEVER run AI at 100% in FSX with MyTrafficX under normal conditions, but i did for this "test" only...and after watching the AI movement for about 30 minutes from the Tower View, there were no major backups of the AI. I set winds in FSX for 255-degrees at 8 knots to get a "standard" real-world KLAS airport use, and runways 19L and 25R were departures, 19R and 25L arrivals, and all AI "played nice" with each other.Will post more as this AFCAD issue\update continues.

Rick Ryan

Overall this is a very good scenery, although the two major issues so far that I see have already been pointed out in previous posts:(1) Centeline taxi lights -- way too bright and give the image of a light extenting vertically from the ground. Does not look good at all. In my experience, the center green lights are a small and have a dimmer appearance then the blue taxi edge lights. (2) AFCAD -- Need crosswind runways as well as better parking designations. There is a lack of GA parking, and also the US Airways gates are marked with "AWE" For me, I had to go into AFX and change these to "USA". (Otherwise 20 or so US Airways planes simply do not show up -- I use WOAI) I also added about 10 GA spots across the field and it seems to work much better--There are no longer Learjets parking at the gates. Hopefully a crosswind runway solution will be offered soon by the developer. I know there is a way to do it, but why spend all that time and effort with payware? I would like to see the developers making sure their AFCADS are up to the quality of their scenery (This goes for Imagine Sim's Charlotte as well).FSDT has done a very nice job, and Fort Lauderdale looks stunning as well. This is a clear advantage to the Mach-1 freeware or the simflyers. It also by the way looks outstanding with the Mega Scenery X Las Vegas package. As far as framerates go, I think they are pretty solid. Similar to Fly Tampa in FS9, FSDT seems to find a way to achieve fairly good performance without slowing the frames. I am glad to see a developer finally making some good US scenery for FSX.
Yes that KCLT is a real bugger! I have spoke with them and they say they are re-doing ALL of their AFCADS. They told me they would be ready end of March (NOT) or early April (that doesnt look too good either)
Update: There is a "work in progress" AFCAD update for the FSDT KLAS scenery. Right now it adds crosswind runways and more GA parking spots. A forum member named "Harpsi" is developing it, and it can be found as an attachment to his post in the below thread at the FSDT forum. Scroll down to his post (I think it is the 10th post in the thread) and look for the attached file at the bottom of his post. You can download it with a simple mouse-click. I just downloaded it and haven't tried it yet, but Harpsi has done other AFCADs for other FSDT airports I have, and they have been a big improvement at those airports.http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1703.0RickEDIT\UPDATE: I just tried the new AFCAD. All the jetways are now gone, and that has been reported in the FSDT forum also. It appears the AFCAD was edited using the AFX program, which may "delete" some scenery items depending on how the original AFCAD was made. Waiting to see how this one plays out in the FSDT forum. Good news is the crosswind runways, in conjunction with using AISmooth v1.20, has solved most of the AI "backing up" issues. I ran a test with my AI at 100% (using MyTrafficX)...and I would NEVER run AI at 100% in FSX with MyTrafficX under normal conditions, but i did for this "test" only...and after watching the AI movement for about 30 minutes from the Tower View, there were no major backups of the AI. I set winds in FSX for 255-degrees at 8 knots to get a "standard" real-world KLAS airport use, and runways 19L and 25R were departures, 19R and 25L arrivals, and all AI "played nice" with each other.Will post more as this AFCAD issue\update continues.
Falcon, not to get off subject but what settings are you using in AiSmooth? I started a Post last week about that and not one reply.

Jim Wenham

AISmooth v1.20 settings I use:NOTE: AISmooth has a habit of resetting some of the above items each time you start it. So it's a good idea to double-check the settings again for each FSX session when you start it. Mine always turns the ATC Messages back on, and I get that green comm strip across the top of my monitor if I don't do it.Also, the above settings need your AI Taxi Speed to be reset to something other than the default speed FSX uses. I forget right now what utility I used to do that. but I set my AI Taxi Speed to 25 - 30 MPH. Not too realistic for a B747, but it gets them to clear runways faster, and also taxi across runways after landing quicker. This helps out a lot with parallel runway configurations like KLAS where they land on 25L and have to taxi across the departure runway 25R to get to the gates. Doesn't hold up the takeoffs sitting at the end of 25R as much.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------UPDATE TO FSDT KLAS AFCAD ISSUE: Well, it got a little "testy" in their forums this morning. I was totally confused by some of the info posted there, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You can browse their "FS9 KLAS" support area to see what I mean by some post exchanges I made with them, but in a nutshell...ANY AFCAD update they have available for download there right now for KLAS is ONLY for FS9. They will provide an FSX AFCAD "fix" once the FS9 one is completed. The current one available for download now (the one mentioned in my above post) works only in FS9, and if used in FSX will result in all the jetways disappearing.Kinda confusing, as they stated in earlier post exchanges with me and others that they develop all their scenery for FSX FIRST, then (sic) "port it over" to FS9 and delete the stuff FS9 won't support. Kinda made me believe the AFCAD update they had was for FSX and was "broke" 'cos it didn't work in FSX. Oh, well....The hazards of miscommunication in forums....Rick

Rick Ryan