Sign in to follow this  
CoreyJJ

Couple of 737 NG question (fs2004 version)

Hello everyone,I'm still flying and enjoying the pmdg 737-800/900 for fs2004 a lot.Since I'm in the happy position to also earn my money on this type in real lifeit helps a lot as a procedure training tool as well, at least in a lot of areas.However I noticed a few things, which don't seem to work on the pmdgplane but in reality they do.But I'm hoping maybe someone has a solution or fix for that.So here we go:1. On the real airplane u can do a raw-data take-off and still use A/T.With both FD switches off and A/T armed,in reality u can press TO/GA and A/T engages in N1 mode and sets T/O thrust and later on CLB thrust at acceleration altitude.With the pmdg plane, at least on my computer,A/T only engages with TOGA if u select at least one Flight director on prior to pressing TO/GA.If both Flightdirectors are off & A/T is armed and you press TOGA-well nothing happens at all.Has anybody a solution for that? (and before someone asks, of course both generators are connected,it has nothing to do with that)2.In reality the tendency on non-precision approaches is too fly them more and more in LNAV/VNAV mode,unlike before with VOR/LOC+V/S or LNAV+ V/S Thats seems to present kind of a problem to the pmdg plane as well.For example on an NDB approach,With all the data entered correctly in the fmc the plane seems to make huge oscillations up and down the VNAV path from the final descent altitude down to the MDA.It deviates up and down up too about 600 ft from the path, way too much.This also happens even if u start the final descent already fully configured which should make it more easier. Since LNAV/VNAV non precision approaches havent been incorporated in the real plane for such a long time,I realize maybe the PMDG wasn't programmed to cover that feature already when it came out,so you can only fly it with v/s mode- Still im wondering if anyone else did get that one to work better?3.Third at least,j ust a minor thing.It doesn#t seem to be possible,no matter how actual the navdata is, to take the runway point from the legs page to the fix page.In reality u can take, say waypoint RWY07L in frankfurt from the LEGS page in the FMC into the scratchpad,then select FIX page and enter RWY07L as a fix.With pmdg it always gives a message "waypoint unknown" when i try to transfer it from the scratchpad into the fix page.Is that a bug in the FMC or in the navdata? ( BTW I also own PMDGs 747,same problem there,strangely though LEVEL D`s 767 FMC can do it).Thats all folks,never mind all those are minor points,its still a great addon ,hats off to pmdg for creating such a close replication of the real thing.If anyone has a fix or knows how to work around those issues,I'd be more than happy-Have a great day,Corey

Hello everyone,I'm still flying and enjoying the pmdg 737-800/900 for fs2004 a lot.Since I'm in the happy position to also earn my money on this type in real lifeit helps a lot as a procedure training tool as well, at least in a lot of areas.However I noticed a few things, which don't seem to work on the pmdgplane but in reality they do.But I'm hoping maybe someone has a solution or fix for that.So here we go:1. On the real airplane u can do a raw-data take-off and still use A/T.With both FD switches off and A/T armed,in reality u can press TO/GA and A/T engages in N1 mode and sets T/O thrust and later on CLB thrust at acceleration altitude.With the pmdg plane, at least on my computer,A/T only engages with TOGA if u select at least one Flight director on prior to pressing TO/GA.If both Flightdirectors are off & A/T is armed and you press TOGA-well nothing happens at all.Has anybody a solution for that? (and before someone asks, of course both generators are connected,it has nothing to do with that)2.In reality the tendency on non-precision approaches is too fly them more and more in LNAV/VNAV mode,unlike before with VOR/LOC+V/S or LNAV+ V/S Thats seems to present kind of a problem to the pmdg plane as well.For example on an NDB approach,With all the data entered correctly in the fmc the plane seems to make huge oscillations up and down the VNAV path from the final descent altitude down to the MDA.It deviates up and down up too about 600 ft from the path, way too much.This also happens even if u start the final descent already fully configured which should make it more easier. Since LNAV/VNAV non precision approaches havent been incorporated in the real plane for such a long time,I realize maybe the PMDG wasn't programmed to cover that feature already when it came out,so you can only fly it with v/s mode- Still im wondering if anyone else did get that one to work better?3.Third at least,j ust a minor thing.It doesn#t seem to be possible,no matter how actual the navdata is, to take the runway point from the legs page to the fix page.In reality u can take, say waypoint RWY07L in frankfurt from the LEGS page in the FMC into the scratchpad,then select FIX page and enter RWY07L as a fix.With pmdg it always gives a message "waypoint unknown" when i try to transfer it from the scratchpad into the fix page.Is that a bug in the FMC or in the navdata? ( BTW I also own PMDGs 747,same problem there,strangely though LEVEL D`s 767 FMC can do it).Thats all folks,never mind all those are minor points,its still a great addon ,hats off to pmdg for creating such a close replication of the real thing.If anyone has a fix or knows how to work around those issues,I'd be more than happy-Have a great day,Corey
hi Corey, sorry i do not have an answer to your enquiry, but i would be very happy to have the knowledge you have in being qualified to fly the real aircraft, its good that people like you can come down to the level of us non qualified simmers. good luck. richard welsh.

Guest Alias

Yes I do agree with Richard. And I hope PMDG will listen to you so that they can add these features on the forthcoming NG2.0

Guest fencer88

Hi Corey1- Same finding : on my system, no FDs, no TOGA 2- I think the general feeling is that the VNAV algorithms aren't the best part of the sim and that PMDG's following products are much improved in this area3- I guess most simmers just use the airport ICAO code to create a FIX. Just curious about your expectations when entering the runway : which point becomes the reference for the fix : the runway treshold ? Is that the way the real FMC works? Thanks & Best regards,Bruno

3- I guess most simmers just use the airport ICAO code to create a FIX. Just curious about your expectations when entering the runway : which point becomes the reference for the fix : the runway treshold ? Is that the way the real FMC works? Thanks & Best regards,Bruno
Remember that you can also create a custom fix using the (3-letter) Runway ILS Localizer identifier in the normal way: IDENT/BEARING/DISTANCE. This, obviously, only works with ILS equipped runways....but it is more than nothing.Regards.

Guest fencer88
Remember that you can also create a custom fix using the (3-letter) Runway ILS Localizer identifier in the normal way: IDENT/BEARING/DISTANCE. This, obviously, only works with ILS equipped runways....but it is more than nothing.Regards.
Hi Jose Luis,Thanks, I didn't know. I'll have to try one of these days (I am trying to "qualify" in the ATR at this time). Bruno

Hey guys,thanx a lot for all your replies.Well it seems those things will remain unfixed for now.Could be worse though.Bruno, as for your question:The runway Fixpoint on the LEGS-Page of the FMC is the point of the respective runway,where the airplane is 50ft above threshold.That point is needed for the FMC of thereal plane to calculate the final descent (for the V-Nav path on a non-precision approach),usually 3 degrees descent angle,from the final decent point down to the runway threshold.Lets hope the new 737 NG v2 is equipped with those features.Have a nice day and happy landings always,Corey