Sign in to follow this  
enyap

Attention ALL Windows XP Users

I guess I'm the only person on the planet who hasn't noticed the problem. I've had that particular update installed on my comp for the past month and never noticed any obvious performance drop...I guess that's for the better though, I tried to uninstall it but there was no "remove" button associated with this particular update :-hmmm. I'll just look the other way until they release the fix (which shouldn't take too long since MS actually acknowledged the problem :().

I too have not noticed a performance drop with the security patch mentioned above. I uninstalled the update just the same and noticed my machine slowed down instead of speed up. Like the old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I reinstalled the security patch and my system was back to it's high performing self. Maybe this problem has to do with DirectX 9a. I have just upgraded to 9a so more testing is needed to see if the slowdown is also DirectX 9a related versus just the security patch...Windows XP Pro Dell P4 1.5gig1 Gig RDRAM9700Pro Graphics Card100gig HD

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest ha5mvo

Hi Dillo!How did you manage to reinstall it?The same thing happened to me, yet windows update does not 'notice' the fact it's missing whenever I try to reinstall ir from their site.BTW, I noticed we have the same processor and the same type of memory,not sure it has got anything to do with it, but who knows.

Thats odd, I have WinXP Home with SP1, windows update shows all security and hotfixes installed. I checked, and I do not have 811493 installed.

Guest sssummer

BUMPGreat tip. I highly recommend it. I noticed my frame rate, screen refresh and overall speed were lagging. Uninstalled that specific security patch and noticed a huge improvement. (not imagined!)Athlon 2600 XP1 gig memoryRadeon 9700 Pro

You can go to Microsoft's site and got to the updates section. Microsoft will scan your computer (when you choose that option) and the patch will come up since it's no longer on your system. I will say this that with DirectX 9a (not version 9 which I was using up until last night after reading this thread) my computer did slow down... I again took the 811493 patch off my computer and things spead back up. Maybe it's just me but the newest version of Directx seems to have a problem with the patch, not Windows XP itself.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Mine is the same, my hotfix #'s jump from Q810833 to Q814033 (as seen in Add/Remove Programs). How do I remove just this offending Hotfix, I wonder?Thanks,Bruce.

Guest ScottPilot

Its not part of SP1.The 811493 is an OPTIONAL download for the security fix from the Windows Update site.When you go to Windows update, it is listed under the "RECOMENDED" section and not the "CRITICAL" section of the update.So if you did not download it from Microsoft using the Windows Update site, it won't be installed on your computer.I installed SP1 of the CD and this fix wasn't part of that CD. I downloaded it from Windows Update, and I noticed a performance drop overall in Windows. After un-installing this update, my performnce improved greatly!Scott :-)

Guest sb55mv

Hi Erik,I read with amazement you're report and what the others said, however without sounding like a moron, how do I find it and remove it please,I don't even know where it is as such, I can only see SP1 in add remove?thank you,

Guest Milamber

Well I am one of the ones that had no problem with the update but did AFTER uninstalling it. Reinstalled it from Windows Update site and things are back to normal. Moral is not to touch the install UNLESS you know you have decreased performance that you can trace back to the install of this patch.

This has made a huge difference, I've just put together a new rig and couldn't figure why it seemed sluggish. Thank you, thank you, now what about all the other windows XP hotfixes, have they got issues too?John

Hey I was about to do the remove and I came upon these and I just wanted to make sure that I should go ahead with it and that everyone else came across the same thing.This is what my add/remove programs list looks likehttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/11353.jpgThen I get this message. Should it be going to the previous configuration even though there's a more recent one?http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/11354.jpgThen comes the scary one that says some of my favorite programs might stop working.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/11355.jpgJust wanted to make sure everything was right.

Guest Milamber

Everything is right but I wouldn't remove it unless you are experiencing problems that you can trace to that update. I never noticed problems like those talked about but I uninstalled it anyway and THEN I experienced problems. I had to reinstall it. As the old saying goes...If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Guest kyle

It will display in your Add/Remove programs - only if you have it installed. It is not a critcal update so you may not have it installed.