Sign in to follow this  
michal

better ground textures in FS2004 ?

Guest Lindy

This looks to me a LOT like what you find in FU3. Better? only time will tell, but it is different from what we have now. Also this is at altitude. Where FS2K2 really stood out was with low level to ground level textures, IMO.-Lindy :-wave

Hey Lindy, I guess you have a different perspective after using other sims, I have only used MS and I think it is just the opposite! I am all about VFR and while I can see my block and apt complex here in Dallas with the FSgenisis landclass at 5000+, get lower and I can't even make out the street. I know it would take allot to render this kind of detail, it is merely an observation, but it would be nice! with all my extensive scenery I have done for the Juneau area, I took my jeep out the other day, turned on the CD player in it and drove around the area, it was a cool change of pace, and I was able to get to all the locations, by road (now if we only had better road textures......) LOLthe above pic does look a little like terrascene, we'll have to wait and see, I can only hope! Wonder if they lost the giant trees! LOLRegards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi Michal, It looks better to me even with JPG compression they are always better in the actual sim running.See the texture in this video below. I found them more natural and structured compare to fs2002. Resize little bit the screen to have better resolution from the video compression..http://simmarket.com/special/Curtiss_Jenny.WMV Now if Ms can start to show the ground shots, scenery and the 12 new 3d detailed airports with Photo Sat added to fs2004 :-)ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

>This looks to me a LOT like what you find in FU3.Wow, it sounds like a big compliment considering FU offers photo-realistic scenery, doesn't it ?In the shot above I see an improved 3D aspect of the scenery - perhaps a bit what FScene-2002 offers now in their commercial package.Michael J.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

>See the texture in this video below. I found them more natural>and structured compare to fs2002.The clip is too short to make any judgement but one impression I got was that the colors are slightly warmer - again, they seem as if they were taking cues from FScene.Michael J.

Hi.If you look in the picture also you can see a railway terminus and the lines going off to the top right, so Im wondering if there will be railway lines in this new version or maybe this is just some city texturing for more detailed cities like London or Chicago which most of the default cities wont have.Its interesting though.Craig Kiltie

Guest JonP01

It seems to me that these city / urban textures would be better off without autogen enabled. Otherwise you end up with 3D buildings on top of 2D buildings. Judging by the screenshot, this effect might be more pronounced in FS2004 than it is in FS2002.I should add that I have always been annoyed by the very slight graininess of the FS2002 textures. Certainly tuning the video card allieviates this effect somewhat, but it is still apparent particularly between ground level and 4,000 ft AGL. I am wondering if this was a characteristic of the appearance of the texture maps themselves, or whether the compression had something to do with it. It never happened in CFS2 where the ground texture bitmaps were each double the size of the FS2002 ones.

Guest emergency_pants

I figure that there will be certain areas with much higher quality ground textures than other areas. You know, like Chicago and San Fran.. that sorta thing. ANd the rest will just be tiled generic stuff. I'd hate to think how many CDs otherwise! :( lolYou're right too... that texture does remind me of FU3 and very nice shadowed textures they are too!! oooooooo! Suits you, sir! Ooo! Do they go, sir? Do they? Ooo! Lovely, sir.SHOW mode>*cough* goodnight.Simon :)

>I should add that I have always been annoyed by the very>slight graininess of the FS2002 textures. Certainly tuning the>video card allieviates this effect somewhat, but it is still>apparent particularly between ground level and 4,000 ft AGL. Graininess would still be a result of your video card settings, mip-mapping (lack of) etc. With my settings, I can say that I basically run "grain free" :)L.Adamson

Guest PhilipManwaring

I'd hazard a guess that this shot was taken from one of the new high detail areas that use satellite photos and does not represent the generic texture tiles with autogen.