Sign in to follow this  
Dicko

Long loading times for FSX

After installing MyTraffic X and deleting the existing CFG file to allow FSX to rebuild a new clean one , the load time after clicking on the FSX icon is now about 40-55 seconds. Is this normal?(I use Vista 64)Andrew Dixon

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Nope, it's not normal, it's fast :( Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Wow, turn up your sliders and thing will slow down!!Your FSX is starting very fast!

wow that's fast. Sometimes my load time is 3 minutes, if I open up Firefox and browse the net, or open WMP...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for your responsesAndrew

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Guest Nick_N

Average new boot FSX flight load time here... 35 seconds.. 15 seconds or less if I am reloading the same flight after flyingI do not use UTX night lighting which can increase that another 10-15 seconds at timesAlso, anytime you have large amounts of AI installed it will usually add time to the actual program boot load time as those directories/AI planes must be read by FSX.I also use professional SATAII PCIe solutions on WD VrapsBoot times are based on CPU/Memory speed and platform, video card, storage solution and the type and amount of addons installed.

Average new boot FSX flight load time here... 35 seconds.. 15 seconds or less if I am reloading the same flight after flyingI do not use UTX night lighting which can increase that another 10-15 seconds at timesAlso, anytime you have large amounts of AI installed it will usually add time to the actual program boot load time as those directories/AI planes must be read by FSX.I also use professional SATAII PCIe solutions on WD VrapsBoot times are based on CPU/Memory speed and platform, video card, storage solution and the type and amount of addons installed.
same here

Jim Wenham

Guest Adev

Wow, that is fast. 45 seconds? I have hardly, if ever seen mine load in less than 2 minutes. The longest I've seen is close to 8 minutes :( . I do have a large collection of addon aircraft + scenery so that might be the case. And, most sliders are 3/4 or mostly to the right side. Oh, and I also have Mytraffic.

After installing MyTraffic X and deleting the existing CFG file to allow FSX to rebuild a new clean one , the load time after clicking on the FSX icon is now about 40-55 seconds. Is this normal?(I use Vista 64)Andrew Dixon
Uh, If I am not mistaken you have to modify your cfg file after installing MytrafficX. If you delete the current one and let FSX rebuild it you won't have the MytrafficX AI aircraft enabled.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Uh, If I am not mistaken you have to modify your cfg file after installing MytrafficX. If you delete the current one and let FSX rebuild it you won't have the MytrafficX AI aircraft enabled.
Not in my case. checked the CFG and MyTraffic X still there after rebuild and enabled. FSX used to load in the same time as Nick N's post. What I have found is that FSX runs and loads faster using XP which I had before I upgraded to Vista 64 due to OOMs.Andrew

Andrew Dixon

Hmmm....I have about 80% of my FSX scenery addons installed into folders outside the FSX directory, linked to FSX via the Scenery Library, and my FSX directory size is still huge as shown below.Below is my separate folder where I have the sceneries installed outside the FSX main folderMy FSX "stuff" is well over 230 GB of my hard drive already. If I keep everything in the Scenery Library activated ("checked"), it takes about 3 minutes for mine to load (it's all layered correctly so it can all work together). Sometimes, I really get frisky and make a couple changes to the FSX.cfg file prior to starting FSX (using a third-party .cfg editing utility). My two favorite ones are changing the "Texture_Max_Load=" to 4096, and the "LOD_Radius" to 8.0. Makes for some incredible scenery displays and screencaps, but when I start FSX then, I almost have time to take a shower, eat lunch, read the next chapter of "War and Peace", then visit the bathroom. It will take about 6 minutes to load FSX under those settings. FSX still runs fine on my 'puter once it loads with those settings...it just takes a while.Rick

Rick Ryan

What is the valid max value for LOD Radius? I thought it was 5.5 as per Nick's setup guide. :(

I have mine set at 7, (although I am gonna try 8 now I saw Falcon can run 8!!!!) it makes for fantastic detail on the scenery. I use almost exclusively photoscenery, so have turned autogen off. What I save in processing power there, means I can add elsewhere such as the lod radius, without affecting frame rates badly. I think Nicks guide is primarily aimed at those users who use standard scenery and autogen, which needs setting up somewhat differently to get the best out of. Check out these shots of my photoscenery and my frame rates..... I think you will be very impressed: http://realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/ind...hp?topic=2671.0cheers, Mark

Guest Nick_N
What is the valid max value for LOD Radius? I thought it was 5.5 as per Nick's setup guide. :(
As mentioned.. what I posted was to make sure it covered all the bases... and I did say it can go higher too however you can expect perf and load time issues... if you are using texture based scenery such high LOD settings will crush perf very fastI personally do not run higher than the default of 4.5 however I like 100% autogen and Scenery Complexity in my flights when ever possible and I have very little photoscenery in my database other than the mountain areas Frank produced