Sign in to follow this  
curt1

So many addons - What to do?

We're heading into a period where numerous excellent addon aircraft will be coming out for FSX. Within the next six to twelve months (give or take) there will be the Airsimmer Airbus; the PMDG J41 followed by their 737NG; the RealAir Duke along with I'm sure a few other top-notch aircraft, LDS 757 perhaps? These developers are doing a fantastic job of raising the standard and I can hardly resist buying these things. So my dilemma is I will end up buying most of these if I'm not careful, and won't be able to dedicate sufficient time to each to really master it. So I'm just curious, how many addons do you actively fly within a given month where you feel like you really know her like you should? I think my limit is three, and anything more just gets me confused to where I'm inadequate in each one. Anyone else deal with this? Curt

I can't resist from your title-so many addons-what to do?Hope you don't have to reinstall them over and over like I have had to do due to system failures... :(Your point is well taken though-there are a couple (actually more than a couple) I have bought that I have never really run-too complicated and just not into studying hours when I am supposed to be having fun.

I've actually deliberately avoided buying the PMDG MD-11 because of that very notion. I know it's a good add-on, but I tend to stick with Boeings simply because of the cockpit commonality of them, and one complex long hauler, i.e the PMDG 747 is enough for me (and yes I know the MD-11 is called a Boeing, but we all know it's a DC-10). The same could be said for the Airbus, I must admit that even though I'm reasonably familiar with the Airbus, I don't tend to fly it much, for more or less the same reason as not getting the MD-11, i.e too many systems differences to stay on top of things when used to Boeings. Just recently I've been getting into flying airliners with more traditional INS navigation systems too, although these tend to have the same INS system on them, so it's not quite as complex as using different FMCs on modern airliners.Since I like flying the Flight 1 ATR-72 and other turboprops such as the Aeroworx B200 and the Flight 1 Cessna 441, I imagine I will get hold of PMDG's Jetstream though. All the other stuff I fly, such as DC-2 and DC-3s are much simpler in terms of avionics, but compensate for that with the engine management you have to indulge in to get the best performance out of them, so whilst stuff like the MAAM DC-3 and the Uiver DC-2 are very faithful to the real aircraft, they're not that hard to get your head around.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest Mendota

I recently returned after a couple years hiatus, and have quickly built my payware library back up now that I'm on FSX. I've wondered the same thing.I mostly fly Wilco products at this time: Vols 1 & 2 of the Airbusses, 737PIC, and now the E-Jet. The advantage is that I am just used to the way they do things, plus the Airbus line gives you a lot of airplanes for different routes and carriers without having to re-learn anything. I like the classic 737 for a change of pace -- it is fun to see the different philosophies of the two companies. I just got the E-Jet for a change of pace and short flights. I fly for a VA, so I like to have different equipment to match the actual flights. The E-Jet does everything differently, though. The Wilco products hit the sweet spot for me, too, as far as difficulty.I also have the PMDG MD-11 and Leonardo Maddog. Both great airplanes. I have learned enough of the MD-11 to reliably execute a VA flight. Actually, it is not that hard of an airplane to fly; for some reason the way it is automated seems very intuitive to me, and there is an excellent tutorial. The Maddog will get an inexperienced pilot in the trick bag very quickly! However, I have owned every Maddog since Lago's first one, so I'm confident it will click once I start getting into it.I have a wonderful A2A Stratocruiser that I haven't flown in awhile, because, while it is amazing, it is also a handful to manage. There are some airplanes (RFP 747 comes to mind -- one of my old, lost favorites) that are jealous mistresses. You spend much time with other airplanes and when you come back they act like they've never seen you before :-)Another factor is bigger airplanes = longer routes = less variety. All things considered, you just get more take-offs and landings done with smaller airplanes. That tends to keep your proficiency up. I find myself choosing more routes like Oakland to Long Beach (Jet Blue) or even Nashville to Memphis (Northwest E-Jet) than New York to London or the like. There is a different kind of satisfaction on the longer flights, and I like to see those impressively long lines in my log book, but cruise isn't a very exciting phase in modern airplanes (except when FS2Crew has some passenger smoking in the lavatory).At some point, you just have to exercise discipline, I guess. There have been times in my flightsim career where it seems like all I am doing is learning to fly new airplanes, instead of really mastering a couple and concentrating on becoming a good, experienced pilot. Personally, with just the Wilco products I mentioned, I feel I can maintain proficiency while flying any kind of flight I want. I have the PMDG MD-11 for a change of pace, and when I'm bored with everything else I can roll out the Maddog and count on a rich challenge.I don't anticipate buying any new airplanes anytime soon. I'm happy with what I have. I could be tempted by a well-done classic 747 for FSX.

Guest Mendota
Just recently I've been getting into flying airliners with more traditional INS navigation systems too, although these tend to have the same INS system on them, so it's not quite as complex as using different FMCs on modern airliners.
Really? I remember the INS system I installed on RFP... it was a wonderful freeware offering, and I wish I could remember the name of it right now to give due credit. I think it was a lot more complicated than an FMC... I remember setting radio frequencies to re-align coming over Ireland on a UK-US flight, entering lat/long, and in general playing with it for a good part of the flight. Don't get me wrong, that made cruise more engaging, but I don't remember it being easier than programing an FMC. (Although I agree that with every manufacturer wanting to do things differently, switching can be a little confusing... still there is a lot of overlap.)

It's not easier than programming an FMC, it's easier to do it on many aircraft once you've figured it out on one of them!Incidentally, the one you are probably thinking of but can't remember the name of is most likely the Litton.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest SkullxBones

The study requirements for complex add-ons aren't that bad, you don't have to read everything to enjoy it. People just need to decide what level of proficiency they want develop. For example, people hear about the 1500 pages in the manuals for the PMDG MD-11 and think no way am I going to take that much time to learn to fly it. The easy way it to just follow the flight tutorial and you are in air within a couple hours. A few days later, normal flight procedures feel routine. Learning it is what keeps me going in FS. You can fly all over the world knowing just the normal procedures and feel a great since of accomplishment, or you can keep digging into all the systems. That's the beauty of add-ons from companies like these, They're deep enough to satisfy all simmers. They also spawn a lot of devoted fans that publish just about anything you want to know about it.

Guest jlm

I have this obsession with add-ons, I think it's an illness really, LOL.There are add-ons I have only flown once, but the best one's do keep me interested most, so in any one month I probably fly 3 different types, at the moment anyway.but what I get hooked on is when I fly somewhere on a paritulcar route in real life (as a pax) I get home and like to reproduce the route with the same aircraft and airline, or some event on tv, maybe an accident, or just in discussion, gets us talking about a particular aircraft and so I get motivated about that specific aircraft to go fly it - if it exists as an add-on of course.john

We're heading into a period where numerous excellent addon aircraft will be coming out for FSX. Within the next six to twelve months (give or take) there will be the Airsimmer Airbus; the PMDG J41 followed by their 737NG; the RealAir Duke along with I'm sure a few other top-notch aircraft, LDS 757 perhaps? These developers are doing a fantastic job of raising the standard and I can hardly resist buying these things. So my dilemma is I will end up buying most of these if I'm not careful, and won't be able to dedicate sufficient time to each to really master it. So I'm just curious, how many addons do you actively fly within a given month where you feel like you really know her like you should? I think my limit is three, and anything more just gets me confused to where I'm inadequate in each one. Anyone else deal with this? Curt
I don't feel the need to get every plane there is... Since the release of FSX I've bought the Digital Aviation Dornier Do-27 (haven't flown it for over a year: it's not even installed), The RealAir SF260 and Scout package (got both installed but only use the Decathlon for VFR) and the PMDG MD-11 (obviously not for VFR ;) ). And that's it. I really see no need for having numerous airliners and GA's because in the end I only fly one GA and one big airliner. I might get the Airsimmer Airbus because (frankly) I mainly got the MD-11 because there wasn't a good Airbus available. ;) But I have to say is it the best! In the end, the Decathlon and the MD-11 are both the best, so.... why should I bother with planes I like less...? :( The J41 looks interesting because it sits in between the Decathlon and the MD-11, so who knows, maybe I'll get it. But right now I am happy with what I got.

I can't deny myself the pleasure of the quality aircraft add-ons available for FSX,although I will say I have masterd none of them yet,PMDG,Level-D and The Flight1 Mustang are [iMHO] The Pinnacle of Quality and stability available to us,they provide hours worth of enjoyment and are well worth the price,As of late I've been spending alot of time with the Flight1 Mustang,The VC is stunning and highly immersive,The upcoming PMDG J41 VC judging by the sneak-peak pics will share this immersion,I'm in the process of printing The Mustang manual to get a better understanding of it's systems and incredible Garmin 1000. It's a fantastic time to be a flight simmer!!! :(

Guest Mendota
I'm in the process of printing The Mustang manual
Ah, the true limiting factor on how many add-ons you can have: the cost of printing cartridges! Especially those manuals where the author is obviously receiving kick-backs from the printer company because hundreds of black-screened FMC pictures are included :-)

Guest jlm

Mendota, The freeware INS you are thinking of is that by CIVA Delco Carousel IV-A Inertial Navigation System GaugesI've installed it on most of my 60s & 70s airliners, 707/727/Concorde, apparently it's simulating the real thing down to a tjohn

Guest Mendota
Mendota, The freeware INS you are thinking of is that by CIVA Delco Carousel IV-A Inertial Navigation System GaugesI've installed it on most of my 60s & 70s airliners, 707/727/Concorde, apparently it's simulating the real thing down to a tjohn
Thanks a lot, that was bothering my old brain. What a piece of work that thing is. And free! Brings back a lot of good memories of the tape display 747.