Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis

Should MS leave out the View FPS feature for FS9?

Guest Milio_B

LOL, I know the answer is obviously "no", but what would our lives be if we could never see the FPS we get? Maybe we wouldn't worry so much about our hardware and start enjoying the sim as it is! :(We would notice some "fluidity" changes, but sometimes it just seems worse when you hit SHIFT+Z twice and see you're running 7 FPS hehe.So what do you think? Is it the hitting SHIFT+Z twice that makes our FS lives miserable?? (lol, I know I'm exaggerating, but you get the point ;))

Guest Milio_B

Hehehe Yeah, I had thought about it...but then again it wouldn't be the same, you'd have to d/l it, it's like...you have a bigger choice because it's not implemented in the sim itself hehe

I would love to see this feature removed for FS2004 IMHO it gives a simmer a false sense of security. When I ran FS on my P3 1Ghz I was getting on average 12-14 fps but the Sim ran smooth. I feel as long as the sim is running smooth who needs to see the FPS.John

JetLine Systems Gravity GT2-Windows 10 Home Edition (64-Bit), NZXT H500 Mid-Tower, Black, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO WIFI, LGA 1151, Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) 8 Core / 16 Thread, Corsair Hydro H60 120mm Liquid Cooling, 32GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3000MHz RGB, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, GDDR6, 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 5.1 Channel Realtek Integrated HD Audio, Primary SSD Drive:1TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD), Secondary SSD Drive:2TB Samsung 970 EVO, M.2 NVMe PCIe (SSD) 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM Mechanical , SimOn Solutions 737 Professional Compact Trainer (MIP, OH). CFY 737 Max Motorized TQ Gold V3, MSFS2020, ProSim 737. 45" Samsung 4K TV.

Guest Leesw

The FPS counter is an essential tuning instrument for FS. Removing it is like removing the RPM and manifold temp gauges from a piston aircraft.Maybe 50 or 70 FPS is pointless, but the vast majority of people would find that 22 to 25 provides a much more pleasing display than 12 to 14 FPS. Lower frame rates also adds lag, which makes it harder to make fine adjustments in your aircraft attitude, which is especially important on approach.I find the difference between 12 FPS and 24 FPS is like the difference between listening to music on an AM radio and a CD player. Sure you can still hear the music on the AM radio, but the CD player is much more relaxing to listen to in the long term. So if you can spend an hour or so using the FPS counter and adjusting display parameters and drivers to give you a more pleasing FS experience, then why not?

hi,I like to fly the heavies and I find I can fine tune my visual approaches just fine at 14-15 fps as long as its smooth.... if its a stuttery 14-15 fps then it turns into a nightmare because I start overcontrolling and overcorrecting because my movements are so delayed. I think they should deffinitely leave the FPS counter. Andrew

As a scenery designer, I use the fps guage to help me understand what complexity will still allow fluid flight for people with computers as good or better than mine.You might like knowing I check this, and might prefer I will continue to be able to in the future. Bob Bernstein

Guest gfk777

People who think that an FPS indicator is frivilous have obviously never had to struggle trying to adjust parameters on a system getting a 3 FPS slide show.

Guest racartron

I tell ya one thing. Tom would be extremely happy at the 75% reduction in forum traffic if FPS wasn't available as a topic.Plus actual flying time by all us Simmers woud increase dramatically. Hmmm -- food for thought.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Bumping this message in hopes the MAAM thread will move into the archives or onto the Hangar Chat forum where it belongs! Better yet, let the parties involved sort it out themselves IN PRIVATE. Now there's an idea!

Hi there,I agree, the fps counter is a great tool for troubleshooting, but obsessively trying to tweak your top-of-the-line system to get 75fps instead of 64 (as a lot of people seem to be doing) does not fall into this category, IMHO.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest FPSFREAK

Rac,75% LoL..Hmmm Maybe a little off :) I think it should be left in. A for those of us who like to tweak. B for those w marginal systems looking to extract the last bit of performance so there flying experience is more enjoyable C: Nobody is forcing you to hit the Shift Z key ;)Bobby

You can also dissable the frame rates by going to Controls/Assignments/Cycle Coordinates/Frame rate and deleting the Shift-Z keyboard assignment.Then you can concentrate on flying instesd of frame rates.

Hi, "You can also dissable the frame rates by going to Controls/Assignments/Cycle Coordinates/Frame rate and deleting the Shift-Z keyboard assignment.Then you can concentrate on flying instesd of frame rates."Yes, another option :-)ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis