Sign in to follow this  
Guest jaskanFactor

If Thinking Of Buying PMDG - HOLD IT

Guest jaskanFactor

It was the hundreds upon hundreds of good posts i had seen about PMDG that made me finally payup 150$ to buy both MD11 and 747 at the same time.For those who have not purchased PMDG yet , you might want to wait till they fix the screen corruption problems we are having.Screen goes black when changing views in FSX or going to FSX menu.I only experience these issues in FSX when A PMD plane is loaded, njot any of my defualt, wilco or eaglesoft payware.Please if you use PMDG and have no issues, then that is lucky for you, but we that have issues know that these problems occur only when we load a PMDG plane , and not any of my 20 or so other payware or defualt aircraft. So before any other person gets encouraged to part with high dollar for PMDG, BEWARE MANY OF US ARE HAVING ISSUES. TOO ISSUES MANY FOR WHAT IS A PAYWARE PRODUCT. The number of us posting about issues, should have atleast caused them to release a resoluting offcial statement, but i fear these issues might be being swept under the carpet since it works for some.And for anybody who is a software engineer like myself, the symptoms displayed by PMDG failure in FSX is proabaly due to a memory leak that corrupts video memory, so that the whole FSX screen starts to go Funny and black. That said, when it works, its a great detailed addon, when it doesnt , its a frustrating waste of your money. And they not cheap.So If thinking PMDG, HOLD OUT FOR NOWMy SystemVista64 - i7920 - Gtx285

Guest UlfB
It was the hundreds upon hundreds of good posts i had seen about PMDG that made me finally payup 150$ to buy both MD11 and 747 at the same time.For those who have not purchased PMDG yet , you might want to wait till they fix the screen corruption problems we are having.Screen goes black when changing views in FSX or going to FSX menu.I only experience these issues in FSX when A PMD plane is loaded, njot any of my defualt, wilco or eaglesoft payware.Please if you use PMDG and have no issues, then that is lucky for you, but we that have issues know that these problems occur only when we load a PMDG plane , and not any of my 20 or so other payware or defualt aircraft. So before any other person gets encouraged to part with high dollar for PMDG, BEWARE MANY OF US ARE HAVING ISSUES. TOO ISSUES MANY FOR WHAT IS A PAYWARE PRODUCT. The number of us posting about issues, should have atleast caused them to release a resoluting offcial statement, but i fear these issues might be being swept under the carpet since it works for some.And for anybody who is a software engineer like myself, the symptoms displayed by PMDG failure in FSX is proabaly due to a memory leak that corrupts video memory, so that the whole FSX screen starts to go Funny and black. That said, when it works, its a great detailed addon, when it doesnt , its a frustrating waste of your money. And they not cheap.So If thinking PMDG, HOLD OUT FOR NOWMy SystemVista64 - i7920 - Gtx285
What the **** are you talking about??? I've got both the PMDG MD-11 and the 747 and have no problem at all running them in FSX.Similar system as you (see my sig).

Guest jaskanFactor
What the **** are you talking about??? I've got both the PMDG MD-11 and the 747 and have no problem at all running them in FSX.Similar system as you (see my sig).
Just cause you have no issues, does not mean many others are'nt, and many are.I have lots and lots of other payware aircraft, and i have no such issues with them.So if you have no issues, good for you , hold your peace, and move on.If you read my post you will see where i said, not all are having issues.

Guest jlm
LOL There are only 3 letters in hel !john

My PMDG aircraft are also in a hanger gathering dust because of the same problem. I have tried all the FSX tweaks and and asked questions on the PMDG Support forum but have not found an answer so I've just parked them.The next time I re-install FSX I will install the PMDG 747 & MD11 first to see if they work then and if they do check them after installing my other FSX software and see which if any cause the problem.RegardsPhil

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

I'm not sure it's right to discourage people from buying these otherwise excellent models. Many people (probably most people) have no trouble with them. They really are terrific quality and extremely immersive.But I have to agree that there is a problem here and, further, that PMDG's response to it is disappointing. The topic has come up repeatedly on the PMDG forum, yet PMDG has not even acknowledged it so far as I am aware. The problem mostly seems to affect those of us who use PMDG's models with other add-ons, although I seem to remember that others have also reported the problem. It is NOT limited to 32-bit OSes: I, and others, use Vista 64 (now Windows 7 beta). In my case, I can almost guarantee that the textures will disappear, leading to a black screen, if I press ALT+TAB after landing at Heathrow with Aerosoft's EGLL and UTX Europe with ASA running and with FEX clouds (and no, I do NOT use the insane 4096 bit clouds). Even if the textures don't disappear, the preview screen when I "exit" the flight is almost certain to be black, necessitating a re-loading of FSX.It is entirely possible that the problem lies with other add-ons. But as it only occurs when using the PMDG models (and not when using the Level-D 767X) I naturally suspect the PMDG models. So do other people. A definitive solution, or even a response, would be appreciated.I have of course tried installing and re-installing ad infinitum - including complete OS installs - as well as fiddling with every variable I can think of: to no avail. And it can happen whether I run with overclocked settings, or default settings.The most effective steps I have found to REDUCE the occurrence of this problem (though not eliminate it, sadly) are:1. Uninstall Acceleration/SP2 and SP1;2. Re-install SP1;3. Re-install SP2 (NOT Acceleration);4. If using UTX Europe, reset to initial settings;5. If using ASA, only launch FSX from the ASA control box.Tim

Guest Mendota

There are a zillion different variables among computers. It is a wonder anything works. All I can say is that I run it on a MacBook Pro, which is not exactly a state-of-the-art gaming rig, and it works just fine for me. (In fact, I am continually amazed at how good this thing is for FSX.)One thing I've learned is that if you rely on trouble reports in forums you'd never by any payware, because there are always going to be problem, and it is a highly skewed sample statistically.I feel bad for anyone who looks forward to a really nice airplane like the MD-11 and has problems. But by the same token, it seems like most people are fine with it, right? I hope you get your technical issues resolved, because it is a worthy addition to anyone's long-haul fleet and opens a door to something different from Boing and Airbus.Good luck.

@jaskanFactor 1) You have been very rude on PMDG's forum: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=15692372) You didn't comply with their rule asking to sign your posts with your real name3) You are trying now to inflame the situation here too with a very unfair post about a problem a very small minority of guys are having with PMDG products on their machine and which is very probably hardware related.4) The guys @PMDG are doing their best to help the five or six cutomers having this issue (among thousands!) and they invite them to send an email to their technical support.5) Your answer to Ulf is nothing but agressiveYou are warned for the first time.Next one you'll be out.OK?

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest craven

I to am having problems with black screen when changing views,its with the latest 2 releases of the ATI Catalyst drivers,but i have no PMDG aircraft on my system,i fixed it by turning off AA in the sim,try it younever know and then give PMDG AN APOLOGY,Maybe......hope this helps you......150 bucks is a lot to spend tho.....

Guest UlfB
In my case, I can almost guarantee that the textures will disappear, leading to a black screen, if I press ALT+TAB after landing at Heathrow with Aerosoft's EGLL and UTX Europe with ASA running and with FEX clouds (and no, I do NOT use the insane 4096 bit clouds). Even if the textures don't disappear, the preview screen when I "exit" the flight is almost certain to be black, necessitating a re-loading of FSX.
Tim,Pressing Alt-Tab and getting a black screen is definitely a bug in FSX (or the nVIDIA drivers). This is acknowledged by nVIDIA in there release notes. Please see release notes for nVIDIA drivers 182.52 page 24.
Flight Simulator X

Tim,Pressing Alt-Tab and getting a black screen is definitely a bug in FSX (or the nVIDIA drivers). This is acknowledged by nVIDIA in there release notes. Please see release notes for nVIDIA drivers 182.52 page 24.You can't blame PMDG for that.Edited: Oops, forgot the tip: First change to windowed mode in FSX (Alt + Enter). Then you may access the desktop or any other app without problems. When your finished - go back to FSX and press Alt + Enter to return to full screen mode.
Thanks Ulf, but it was my typing error: I never use ALT+TAB: just ALT+ENTER. I'm aware of the reported Nvidia bug for ALT+TAB -- and I would be perfectly willing to accept that there is another Nvidia bug for ALT+ENTER, but it seems odd that it only crops up with PMDG models.One of the problems with forum discourse is that things get muddled very easily: a small typo here, a misunderstanding there, some missing piece of vital information elsewhere ... Thanks for trying help, though.Tim

Guest UlfB
Thanks Ulf, but it was my typing error: I never use ALT+TAB: just ALT+ENTER. I'm aware of the reported Nvidia bug for ALT+TAB -- and I would be perfectly willing to accept that there is another Nvidia bug for ALT+ENTER, but it seems odd that it only crops up with PMDG models.One of the problems with forum discourse is that things get muddled very easily: a small typo here, a misunderstanding there, some missing piece of vital information elsewhere ... Thanks for trying help, though.Tim
Oh I see. One thing though. Some time ago there was this guy having all sorts of trouble with FSX. I suggested that he would remove his overclock and ease up memory settings. First response was: No, no - it's not that. I've run all sort of benchmarks and my system is stable. But he tested it anyway and guess what. Problems gone. FSX with advanced add ons is the true benchmark for a stable system. If you have OC:ed the system, please remove the overclock of CPU and/or GPU and ease up memory timings and see if you still got this issue with not being able to Alt + Enter in FSX.

Oh I see. One thing though. Some time ago there was this guy having all sorts of trouble with FSX. I suggested that he would remove his overclock and ease up memory settings. First response was: No, no - it's not that. I've run all sort of benchmarks and my system is stable. But he tested it anyway and guess what. Problems gone. FSX with advanced add ons is the true benchmark for a stable system. If you have OC:ed the system, please remove the overclock of CPU and/or GPU and ease up memory timings and see if you still got this issue with not being able to Alt + Enter in FSX.
Thanks again: that's one of the first things I tried but in my case it doesn't help. I've also tried with different sets of RAM sticks: no difference. I suppose my CPU or graphics card or motherboard could be bust - although I keep coming back to the fact that the problem only occurs for me with the PMDG models.Tim

Guest jaskanFactor
My PMDG aircraft are also in a hanger gathering dust because of the same problem. I have tried all the FSX tweaks and and asked questions on the PMDG Support forum but have not found an answer so I've just parked them.The next time I re-install FSX I will install the PMDG 747 & MD11 first to see if they work then and if they do check them after installing my other FSX software and see which if any cause the problem.RegardsPhil
Please Please Please I Know you read the bit about reinstalling FSX then PMDG before any addons, please dont waste your time doing this , i tried it and it made zero difference.What reduced the frequency of random crashes i get is1 - Uninstall SP2, then start a flight2 -Reboot PC3 - ReInstall SP1, then start a flight4 - Install SP2 - Then Go Fly5 - I also reduced my bufferpools from 400 000 000 to 250 000 000This reduced the issues i get, but by no means put an end to it. But it reduced it to the point where, PMDG 747/MD11 only crash when i do things like going to FSX menu/ fspax menu during flight.So once in the air, i avoid all menus, but going spot view does not cause the crash for me anymore like it used to.Still Not acceptable for a 70$ product that can buy you two copies of FSX deluxe with change to spare.

Guest jaskanFactor
I'm not sure it's right to discourage people from buying these otherwise excellent models. Many people (probably most people) have no trouble with them. They really are terrific quality and extremely immersive.But I have to agree that there is a problem here and, further, that PMDG's response to it is disappointing. The topic has come up repeatedly on the PMDG forum, yet PMDG has not even acknowledged it so far as I am aware. The problem mostly seems to affect those of us who use PMDG's models with other add-ons, although I seem to remember that others have also reported the problem. It is NOT limited to 32-bit OSes: I, and others, use Vista 64 (now Windows 7 beta). In my case, I can almost guarantee that the textures will disappear, leading to a black screen, if I press ALT+TAB after landing at Heathrow with Aerosoft's EGLL and UTX Europe with ASA running and with FEX clouds (and no, I do NOT use the insane 4096 bit clouds). Even if the textures don't disappear, the preview screen when I "exit" the flight is almost certain to be black, necessitating a re-loading of FSX.It is entirely possible that the problem lies with other add-ons. But as it only occurs when using the PMDG models (and not when using the Level-D 767X) I naturally suspect the PMDG models. So do other people. A definitive solution, or even a response, would be appreciated.I have of course tried installing and re-installing ad infinitum - including complete OS installs - as well as fiddling with every variable I can think of: to no avail. And it can happen whether I run with overclocked settings, or default settings.The most effective steps I have found to REDUCE the occurrence of this problem (though not eliminate it, sadly) are:1. Uninstall Acceleration/SP2 and SP1;2. Re-install SP1;3. Re-install SP2 (NOT Acceleration);4. If using UTX Europe, reset to initial settings;5. If using ASA, only launch FSX from the ASA control box.Tim
You are absolutly correct about the reinstalling of the fsx patches, and i would seriouslly recommend anybody who has this issue not use accelerationAfter several issues, i have finally braved it, and thrown my acceleration CD away, in favour of SP1/Sp2.Sp1/Sp2 is faster, smoother, lighter, and more fps than acceleration.what i found worked for me was to start fsx after uninstall of sp2 or accelerationreboot pcreinstall sp1, start flightinstall sp2 , start flightIt does not make the problem go away like you said, but 80% of the the time you can tell what not to do , in order to avoid the crash.BUT STILL NOT ACCEPTABLE, I Means, Avoid FSx menus, avoid viewing AI, avoid swtiching from full screen to windowed mode etc. ITS CARZY for a 70$ product.With All These issues, some folks would refuse PMDG if they were giving it away free, to save from frustration, cause FSX has its own issues never mind adding PMDG horror, but those of us that have paid 70$ feel compleled to make something of it, in order to reduce our sense of loss.