Sign in to follow this  
Guest dougwells

MY First VATSIM Flight. Thanks for your help

Guest dougwells

I got my first VATSIM flight in on Saturday. Having a real controller adds tremendously to the realism. I should have done this months ago! Thanks for everyone's help in getting me going. A few questions....- I guess I got lucky by doing my first flight on Saturday. There was a controller at KSLC. I looked on VATSIM today (Sunday) and noticed only 7 or 8 controller in the USA. What have you found to be some of the better times to use VATSIM (more controllers). Are Sunday's typically pretty slow. Is it busier during weekday evenings? I'm using Vroute.info to see how many controllers are on line.- My initial flight was from KSLC (salt lake city) to an airport about 200 miles south of KSLC (KSGU - Sainte George, Utah). After departure, the controller handed me off to unicom (122.8). I was on an IFR flight plan. Is there a way to get "handed off" to another controller for the enroute portion. If not, is the a way to get "picked up" for the approach portion of the flight and get cleared for my approach?Thanks Everyone...

congratulations Doug, also I'm glad to that you have enjoyed on your flight. I hope we can fly together someday. -follow and monitor with servinfo or vroute for peak times for the most connection over USA.After that you can make plans. As we advised follow "events" , it means guranteed service and crowded traffics :)-yes if there is no following ATC service, controller will be handoff to you on unicom frequency 122.80. this is standart procedure in VATSIM. for IFR and VFR flights,doesn't matter.If there are not any active controller until your landing, all descend and approach operation in pilot discretion.You have to do, make basic report about your position such as leaving level, next waypoint, approach phase and runway etc. the best pilot skill you can give ETA for crossing points but so many peoples shouldn't be understand it :)While you are flying, if a new ATC facilities open which is invlolved with you (FIR, TMA, Airport etc), controller will be call you via private message "contact with me on*****"good luck, don't hesitate for asking question about VATSIM.take care

congratulations Doug, also I'm glad to that you have enjoyed on your flight. I hope we can fly together someday. -follow and monitor with servinfo or vroute for peak times for the most connection over USA.After that you can make plans. As we advised follow "events" , it means guranteed service and crowded traffics :)-yes if there is no following ATC service, controller will be handoff to you on unicom frequency 122.80. this is standart procedure in VATSIM. for IFR and VFR flights,doesn't matter.If there are not any active controller until your landing, all descend and approach operation in pilot discretion.You have to do, make basic report about your position such as leaving level, next waypoint, approach phase and runway etc. the best pilot skill you can give ETA for crossing points but so many peoples shouldn't be understand it :)While you are flying, if a new ATC facilities open which is invlolved with you (FIR, TMA, Airport etc), controller will be call you via private message "contact with me on*****"good luck, don't hesitate for asking question about VATSIM.take care
Watch out! VATSIM can be very addictive. Unicom is very helpful flying in uncontrolled airspace and there are other planes around. You can coordinate with the other pilots so you don't have mid-airs or try sharing the same runway. Check the VATSIM web site and look at "Who's on line", show all controllers and pilots currently logged on. Have fun and maybe I'll see you in the air some time. Jim Angel callsign: PAY3463You might try to join a virtual airline and they have special events that are coordinated with various ARTCCs. Pacific Airways is an example, We have Friday Ops, Tuesday Hub nights, etc. I flew KDEN-PHNL are the way with controllers last week. It was a blast. Contact me if you want more information. jangel001@carolina.rr.com

Guest dougwells
Watch out! VATSIM can be very addictive. Unicom is very helpful flying in uncontrolled airspace and there are other planes around. You can coordinate with the other pilots so you don't have mid-airs or try sharing the same runway. Check the VATSIM web site and look at "Who's on line", show all controllers and pilots currently logged on. Have fun and maybe I'll see you in the air some time. Jim Angel callsign: PAY3463You might try to join a virtual airline and they have special events that are coordinated with various ARTCCs. Pacific Airways is an example, We have Friday Ops, Tuesday Hub nights, etc. I flew KDEN-PHNL are the way with controllers last week. It was a blast. Contact me if you want more information. jangel001@carolina.rr.com
I continue to have loads of fun on VATSIM. Makes such a difference chatting with a live controller. A virtual airline is definitely on the horizon for me. Likely in the fall or winter. I live in Utah and like to take advantage of the 3 or 4 months of warm weather and camping with my kids. First trip this weekend....!Doug