Sign in to follow this  
erv

Good source for bad weather

Quite often I have found myself looking for a place on Earth which has severe weather to go for a challenge in simflying. But finding such a place is not always easy. Maybe someone can suggest a good resource to look at? :)

The UK's Met Office website is one you could try. Despite being in the UK, it does deal with worldwide weather and has a fair few bits and pieces on weather around the world, including short range forecasts, seasonal forecasts, tropical storm forecasts, weather trends etc. There is aviation-specific data on there too (although you might have to register with them for some of that). You'll find it here:http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

you have two ways;you can monitor weather information via SERVINFO or VROUTE etc for online flight. if you are using activesky, you can use it both of offline and online (I advise this program for providing realistic weather conditions).Active sky ha a great feature about "chatcing the weather". You can fill the necessary box what you looking for how much bad weather ! :) and program would be find places the match with your requested.similiar feature also in Servinfo, you may use filter or you can request the all list and check remarks of weather conditions.FSMETAR is a freeware program but I can't use it for a long time becouse it was giving ICAO code errors continously.

you have two ways;you can monitor weather information via SERVINFO or VROUTE etc for online flight. if you are using activesky, you can use it both of offline and online (I advise this program for providing realistic weather conditions).Active sky ha a great feature about "chatcing the weather". You can fill the necessary box what you looking for how much bad weather ! :) and program would be find places the match with your requested.
Heh, that pretty much sounds like what I am looking for. Will consider it, also because of those realistic wx conditions
similiar feature also in Servinfo, you may use filter or you can request the all list and check remarks of weather conditions.
Didn't know that, will look into it as well.Thanks for replies!

Guest j-mo

I went through a phase a while back where I wanted to work on my landing skills in adverse weather conditions. After a bit, I got tired of never flying in nice weather, (heh heh!). I still go there on occasion if I want a challenge.

I went through a phase a while back where I wanted to work on my landing skills in adverse weather conditions. After a bit, I got tired of never flying in nice weather, (heh heh!). I still go there on occasion if I want a challenge.
I hear ya. Sometimes when I in bad weather, I wish I could see the sky and the sun, and the beautiful environment. Now I just set let nature do its thing, and if god wants rain in the RW, rain will come in the simulator. I do check weather at my destinations often although. Sometimes it is just very hard to find very bad weather, because the skies are calm in most of the world. Check your local forecast, or the weather radar for a country and check out what kind of weather is or will be there!

Almost forgot, best weather website for the USA.http://www.aviationweather.gov/The provide lots of weather data for real world pilots, that you can apply for FS. They also provide TAFs and METAR from most airport in the world :). The NOAA is basically the basis of weather data for the US, because all weather data goes there. They are also government owned.NOAA Weather Radar:http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php

I'm surprised no one has listed Active Sky.With that you can select what type of bad weather you want to fly in; snow, rain thunderstorms, or bad visibility and you can choose the prefix for the ICAO codes searched so you can pick the region you want to fly in.

Guest dougwells
You can try this site, it suggests sample flights real time with current weather conditions for VFR, MVFR, IFR and LIFR conditions.http://fourflights.com
Fourflights.com is a great site. I use it for the very purpose you describe. Now that I'm also using VATSIM, I want to also give the Vroute site a try.Good Luck...