Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lasnubes

747-400 final descent rate

With the resurrection of my VA, the new Pegasus flight recorder and its ability to capture descent rate at touch-down, has turned the last few feet into a sporting event of sorts. More and more pilots are attempting the ultimate greaser. I remember reading repeatedly about the advisability of a firm, positive touchdown as the fat girl is notoriously asphalt hungry when trying to grease one on. Those articulated trucks and huge bogeys cushion very well- and ought to be allowed to do their job as designed. That said I have two questions (Steve are you here)-1) What is the target VS for an autoland commanded flare to touchdown?2) What is the optimal VS for a manual touchdown- being mindful of passenger comfort as well as lift dumping and positive braking?I would like to fly as smoothly as the next captain, but I do not want to compromise on braking efficiency to do so.Ta-Carl Avari-CooperBAW0225

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey Carl, it's good to see BAV back online again :( I use FSpassengers for the extra failures and sounds and I normally have a look at the flight report after landing. I have noticed the PMDG 744 lands at around 50ft per minute at MLW and the MD11 is lot more firm at MLW - The MD11 seems to be more realistic, I have asked my father about the autolands he's performed real and sim on the 744 and he say's they are pretty solid.Now a strange thing I've noticed from my landing reports is I would quite often have heavy landings with the 744 but handflying the MD11 I can get her down firm but smooth, not sure if it's to do with using the strange Fedex advanced technique of lowering the nose just before mains touchdown.CheersRob

Now a strange thing I've noticed from my landing reports is I would quite often have heavy landings with the 744 but handflying the MD11 I can get her down firm but smooth, not sure if it's to do with using the strange Fedex advanced technique of lowering the nose just before mains touchdown.CheersRob
Just for the record,It was Finnair (launching customer) that introduced this advanced technique for the MD11.Indeed a great way to land the real plane, if done properly.Regards,Harry