Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Installing X-Plane 9, now how do I tweak the MOI again?

This is probably something Geof can answer, I decided to pick up XPlane 9 at my local BB today and remember the discussions regarding tweaking your Baron. It sounded like there was an analog to adjusting MOI values for MSFS. I want to play around a bit and see if I can get the aircraft to show a better feel in the air.Also, I understand there is an application similar to Tileproxy available for X-Plane. Does anyone know what that application is called, and whether it is freeware or payware?Regards,John

This is probably something Geof can answer, I decided to pick up XPlane 9 at my local BB today and remember the discussions regarding tweaking your Baron. It sounded like there was an analog to adjusting MOI values for MSFS. I want to play around a bit and see if I can get the aircraft to show a better feel in the air.Also, I understand there is an application similar to Tileproxy available for X-Plane. Does anyone know what that application is called, and whether it is freeware or payware?Regards,John
Hi John,load the aircraft (the file with the .acf extension) into Plane-Maker, then go to the "Standard"->"Weight & Balance" menu, and check the "use your own radii of gyration", this way you can enter custom RoG's for pitch, yaw, roll.Realistic values can be calculated as follows (wing span and total length of the aircraft are in feet):Pitch_Radius = wing_span * 0.15Yaw_Radius = (Pitch_Radius + Roll_Radius) * 0,66Roll_Radius = total_length * 0.18Note that the value you enter in Plane-Maker contains 2 decimals! Since the flight model of X-Plane is very twitchy though, you'll probably need to double that values to have a more damped aircraft.The freeware tileproxy-like application is called G2XPL and can be found here:http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?autoco...p;showfile=4783Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hi John,load the aircraft (the file with the .acf extension) into Plane-Maker, then go to the "Standard"->"Weight & Balance" menu, and check the "use your own radii of gyration", this way you can enter custom RoG's for pitch, yaw, roll.Realistic values can be calculated as follows (wing span and total length of the aircraft are in feet):Pitch_Radius = wing_span * 0.15Yaw_Radius = (Pitch_Radius + Roll_Radius) * 0,66Roll_Radius = total_length * 0.18Note that the value you enter in Plane-Maker contains 2 decimals! Since the flight model of X-Plane is very twitchy though, you'll probably need to double that values to have a more damped aircraft.The freeware tileproxy-like application is called G2XPL and can be found here:http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?autoco...p;showfile=4783Marco
Thanks, tweaking those values does have a big effect on smoothing things out. I entered the calculations in a spreadsheet so entry of wing span and length does the rest.Regards,John

Thanks, tweaking those values does have a big effect on smoothing things out. I entered the calculations in a spreadsheet so entry of wing span and length does the rest.Regards,John
John-I'd give you mine but I am using the beta-which has changed somethings. I also wonder if a lot of these values will matter on your hardware (joystick etc.). So probably best to do what you are doing-try a few numbers and see how it feels.