Sign in to follow this  

9700 Pro and COF?

Guest Lobaeux4

Quick question before I go out and get the 9700 Pro. Should I wait for the 9800 Pro, or will the features of the 9700 be content enough with what COF will be able to use? Has anyone heard if COF will be a little more reliant on vid cards or not?Just curiousLobaeux

Guest Max Cowgill

COF won't even begin to take advantage of the 9700 Pro's features and speed, let alone the 9800 (or 9900 for that matter) so go right ahead and get that 9700 Pro. You won't regret it!regards, Max Cowgill

Guest DNelson

Depending on your budget and other 3D apps you use, I suspect even the 9500 or 9600 Pro will be more than enough for FS2004.Dan

I've got a Radeon 9700 TX, which is Dell's non-pro (np) version of the 9700. It runs at a reduced clock speed, but is otherwise identical to the pro version, and much cheaper. I get consistenty excellent frame rates and image quality with it. You can get a 9700 np from various manufactures (such as sapphire).

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

In this case it's NOT a matter of whether FS2004 will TAKE ADVANTAGE of Radeon 9800 Pro features but ability to move data. In the process of evolution the SPEED at which the Radeon 9800 Pro moves data is the KEY. Speed relating to FPS is ALWAYS welcome and I have not regretted purchasing my 9800 Pro just over a week ago. UNBELIEVABLE is the best word I can say about it so far. I play everything in 1600 X 1200 X 32 with 2X antialiasing and it still out performs my former TI4600 running at 1024 X 768 with NO antialiasing.Sure it is DirectX 9.0 able and I don't have a title that uses those features but I got it for sheer muscle and has yet to fail me.WORTH IT! GET IT! End of post.I was finally able to complete 5 races in Championship Mode in Nascar Season 2003 since I feel more like I'm in it. But I also, need to point out that NOT just the video card but the memory and CPU have a LARGE roll as well. I upgraded a P4 2.53 with DDR333 to a P4 3.06 with Dual Channel DDR266 memory as well as the video card.

Guest kurtj

How would the 64mb Nvidia G-Force 3 ti-500 work with Century of Flight? Will it be enough or should I look for a 128mb one from Dell?

Wait!I am waiting because I want to get as much out of the AF and AA as possible. The 9800 outperforms the 9700 in that regard and has to do more with memory banwidth than seemingly anything else. Memory bandwidth is the key to AA and AF performance. When using max settings at 1600x1200, you get a loss of framerates, even with the 9700. If you want to minimize this loss, by all means, wait for the 9800. See the preview on http://www.simhq.com/If you want top framerates at the busy and high detailed airports with minimal loss of performance, then the 9800 will out perform the 9700. However, I want top notch performance.If you are into general aviation airports and don't mind using less than max on the sliders and don't have (and don't want high detailed airports like SimFlyers), then go with the 9700.Robb

As you probably know, the ATI 9800 Pro out performs the 9700 Pro by about 20% when AA and AF are used. With 256MB, the ATI 9800 Pro will out perform the 128 version by 16.7% when 4X AA and 8X Anisotropic Filtering, for example, are used together at 1600x1200. That is a big bump in performance.So, what we are looking at is almost a 40% increase in performance over the 9700 Pro, which is alread a damn good card.The 256 version 9800 Pro will retail for about $500.00 See anandtech.com for more details.