Sign in to follow this  
Sharrow

Acceleration Expansion Pack

Hi thereI am wondering if there is at least a general consensus around here with regards to whether Acceleration is worth installing from an overall FSX performance point of view? Perhaps it is better to stick with FSX SP2? I have had Acceleration installed since release but I do not fly any of the aircraft it offers, nor am I interested in pylon racing or any of the city scenery (berlin, istanbul etc). Anything else in Acceleration (which is not in SP2) which is worth having installed?I am planning a complete re-install of FSX onto a dedicated 300GB Vrap HDD using Nicks guide. I also have approx. 200GB of addons (mostly scenery) and my main priority, above all else, is the smooth performance of all these addons.So, if looking to build the most efficient installation of FSX with many addons possible, should this build include Acceleration?ThanksKonrad

Konrad

Guest Thaellar

I recently moved from SP2 to Acceleration and I didn't notice any real performance difference. But I did get a very nice P-51, EH-101, and F-18 with some fun missions. It's an inexpensive way to get 3 decent addons and skip having to install SP1 and SP2. I do get fewer crashes since installing it.Thaellar

I recently moved from SP2 to Acceleration and I didn't notice any real performance difference. But I did get a very nice P-51, EH-101, and F-18 with some fun missions. It's an inexpensive way to get 3 decent addons and skip having to install SP1 and SP2. I do get fewer crashes since installing it.Thaellar
Have to agree. I run over a hundred addons (mostly payware) with much fewer crashes compared to my old FS9 install. Acceleration for me has been quite stable. Your mileage may vary, though. The Acceleration aircraft are much under-appreciated - the P51 Mustang alone is worth the price of admission, as is the F18.

I guess if you don't care about 3 nice aircraft, a bunch of missions, and some custom scenery, then no, there's really no point to install Acceleration....However I run it and love it, the F18 is awesome, and I use the EH101 (now AH101) helicopter frequently....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest jshyluk

There's also the carrier. I do like that carrier, and that was the primary reason why I went out and bought Acceleration. It's also faster to drive out to the store and back to buy Acceleration and then install the disk, than it is to download SP1 and SP2, so there's a performance gain right there. Well, a performance gain, but not a wallet gain.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

I am surprised what answers are posted here... SP1-SP2 is much smoother and lighter...? :( Acceleration is nothing more than a few planes, some sceneries, some missions and... SP2 on a DVD! So as far as performance is concerned Acceleration is EXACTLY the same as SP2!Imagine I would say 'What is better for performance: installing an addon plane together with SP2 or SP2?' or 'What is better for performance: installing some scenery together with SP2 or SP2?' or 'What is better for performance: installing some missions together with SP2 or SP2?' See what I mean? The performance gain that SP2 brings stays of course the same. If you don't intend to fly any of the Acceleration planes or use the scenery and missons it offers, you might just as well install SP2. It will save you some hard disc space. That's it and that's all.So the answer to the original question is: Acceleration is not worth installing from an overall FSX performance point of view. (On the other hand, if you have it installed already, uninstalling won't give you better performance either: it will simply save disc space.) Since you are planning a reinstall and want everything to be efficient (and since you already got a load of addons you want to use) I would advice NOT to install Acceleration but only SP2 (after installing SP1 of course!!!). There is no performance difference and it's more efficient (takes less time to install, takes less hard disc space so there is less to defrag :( ).P.S. Installing or not installing the SDK also makes no difference when it comes to performance. It's the same as installing Photoshop or Excell or whatever: that won't help FSX either... :( Simply installing the SDK and not using it obviously does nothing for FSX. So if you do not need anything the SDK offers (like most regular users) then don't install it! it only takes disc space...

Thanks for all the replies so far!Considering how much time, effort and money (Nod32, O&O defrag, dedicated 300GB VRap) I am lavishing on this FSX install the last thing I want is a fairly large addon which I do not use potentially slowing things down in any way. If the consensus is that there is no difference then great, I'll install it and never consider the issue again.However,

It seems acceleration takes longer to process texturs in VC of some aircraft, in particular more complex payware like pmdg.
I spend a lot of time in PMDG's 744X so the above got my attention. Any further comments about this from anyone?

Konrad

I Have never heard or read anything like that and as a relative newcomer to FSX, from Falcon4, I have spent the majority of my spare time for the last 6 weeks on most relevant forums from scenery, addons, general boards like this and never come across anything along those lines...." But I have read many posts where filks say, SP2 is faster and more stable. And that is what i have seen on my system also. And i dont need the F18 either, its not a bird of glory, its used for killing innocent people anyway, so drop F18 and acceleration pack." :( :( So Taliban terrorists are innocent people ?? :( Dude, this is a flight simulator, not a combat simulator, you can't even simulate killing innocent people......

the last thing I want is a fairly large addon which I do not use potentially slowing things down in any wayI'll install it and never consider the issue again.I spend a lot of time in PMDG's 744X so the above got my attention. Any further comments about this from anyone?
(Er... Sharrow, is that you, pontiuspilotus...?)You seem to contradict yourself... You don't want a fairly large addon you won't use, so... you'll install it...? :( The comment about PMDG (in fact, jaskanFactor's complete post) is absolutely utter nonsense. If you read my post you could and should have known. How the **** can installing a specific addon cause textures in VC's of another addon to process slower...? Acceleration is nothing but an addon that has SP2 included. If you aren't going to use any of the missions, scenery or planes that Acceleration gives you, then don't install it. Just install SP2.

Guest Thaellar

Real world result:I am in process of re-installing OS and FSX so that I can image the drive properly for backups.I just tested the performance with FSX only (no SP) and FSX with acceleration installed. With the default Friday Harbor ultralight flight, there was absolutely no discernable performance change, good or bad.Thaellar

I am surprised what answers are posted here... SP1-SP2 is much smoother and lighter...? :( Acceleration is nothing more than a few planes, some sceneries, some missions and... SP2 on a DVD! So as far as performance is concerned Acceleration is EXACTLY the same as SP2!
Jeroen,That statement is not 100% correct. The stand alone SP2 and Acceleration SP2 are not identical. The version of simconnect used by each is different. FSX-SP2 Service Patch 2 utilizes Simconnect 10.0.61259.0 and ACCELERATION or XPACK (Expansion Pack) utilizes Simconnect 10.0.61637.0. The LDS 767 for example works perfectly with the standalone SP2 and has documented bugs with the Acceleration SP2.I guess its possible that there can be performance differences between the two service packs, however I have not experienced any difference on my machine. Who knows, with the right combination of hardware and addons its entirely possible that someone else does see a difference.

I have installed acceleration on my i7920 systemand i have also used sp1/sp2, and am convinced this is smoother and more fps than acceleration, i am among many who have thrown away the acceleration CD.It seems acceleration takes longer to process texturs in VC of some aircraft, in particular more complex payware like pmdg. That said i never remebered to install the aceleration SDK instead i used the SDK2 from SP2. So this could be why acceleration was a bit more sluggish with textures on my PC.But I have read many posts where filks say, SP2 is faster and more stable. And that is what i have seen on my system also. And i dont need the F18 either, its not a bird of glory, its used for killing innocent people anyway, so drop F18 and acceleration pack.SP1-SP2 is much smoother and lighter.
BRAVE People in GLORIOUS F/A 18's sometimes have to kill people so that people like you can enjoy your god given right to be cowards while us big bad soldiers go off to war to fight for YOU.

Acceleration is nothing more than a few planes, some sceneries, some missions and... SP2 on a DVD! So as far as performance is concerned Acceleration is EXACTLY the same as SP2!
Acceleration actually extends the functionality of FSX in many ways.Yes, there is the EH-101 helicopter, but such a helicopter would be fairly meaningless if Acceleration did not introduce, for the first time in Flight Simulator, a hoisting system for helicopters and a static-cable lifting system. This is what makes the EH-101 useful in FSX and not just another pretty paint job. The aircraft is functional. The missions expose this functionality.Sure, you get an FA-18, but such an aircraft would be just another speedy missile with wings if Acceleration did not for the first time bring carrier operations natively to FSX (other add-ons have done it in the past, but not as fluidly in my view). Acceleration adds arrested landings on aircraft carriers (cable catch), as well as assisted takeoffs (catapult), and the missions even simulate a live LSO.Yes, there is a speedy Mustang, but again it would merely be a nice aircraft if it were not for the fact that Acceleration extends FSX functionality to include a complete racing system and some solidly designed tracks, including a fairly good recreation of the most famous racing circuit in America at Reno, Nevada.Acceleration is a LOT more than just a few aircraft and some missions. Acceleration significantly extends the capabilities of the simulator in fantastic ways!All for about $18 dollars. That's arguably the best buy for the money in flight simulation, period.Cheers,

(Er... Sharrow, is that you, pontiuspilotus...?)
Nope.
You seem to contradict yourself... You don't want a fairly large addon you won't use, so... you'll install it...? :(
The couple of extra GB's (?) Acceleration may take is not an issue at all for me. On the 300Vrap approx. 225GB is the "performance limit" and I am well within that. I do not foresee using anything from Acceleration in the future but never say never, right?

Konrad

Acceleration is a LOT more than just a few aircraft and some missions. Acceleration significantly extends the capabilities of the simulator in fantastic ways!All for about $18 dollars. That's arguably the best buy for the money in flight simulation, period.
Hi KevinGreat information, most of which I had not considered!

Konrad