Sign in to follow this  
737BBJ

Worth the $$ to upgrade CPU?

I have a Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.0ghz running FS2004. Assuming I make no additional hardware changes, would a Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0ghz improve frame rate?I can get one for $349, but don't want to spend the $ if it won't make much difference.

Guest Nick_N
I have a Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.0ghz running FS2004. Assuming I make no additional hardware changes, would a Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0ghz improve frame rate?I can get one for $349, but don't want to spend the $ if it won't make much difference.
FS9 is a SINGLE CORE application.. even your dual core is not being used by FS9Now, addons that run WITH fs9 that you boot extra such as weather engines and other things of that nature you CAN run on the 2nd core by setting their AFFINITY in Windows to the 2nd core.. but moving to a quad for FS9 is quite useless as FS9 is not even using the 2nd core of your dualCPU SPEED would be of benefit to you, not more cores

FS9 is a SINGLE CORE application.. even your dual core is not being used by FS9Now, addons that run WITH fs9 that you boot extra such as weather engines and other things of that nature you CAN run on the 2nd core by setting their AFFINITY in Windows to the 2nd core.. but moving to a quad for FS9 is quite useless as FS9 is not even using the 2nd core of your dualCPU SPEED would be of benefit to you, not more cores
Thanks Nick!Just for my own edification, if I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to FSX would the Quad core be useful?

Guest Nick_N
Thanks Nick!Just for my own edification, if I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to FSX would the Quad core be useful?
absolutelyand i7 would be the top quad of choiceHowever your original selection of the Q9650 will clock to 4GHz easy on the right heatsink and would be a good choice for FSX too. You will need good memory to do that.. DDR2 1066 5-5-5 timing ... DDR2 800 (preferably 4-4-4 timing) will work too but may not allow the full FSB needed for 4GHz.. depends on the motherboard and its BIOS math