Sign in to follow this  
frankla

Help: Couple of issues for a newbe to FSX

Hi Everyone,I just built my first system and installed FSX and have couple of issues. 1) Blurries: First of all, let me say that I don't have the dreaded blurries that some have had problems with. Its more of the normal variety type in which outside of a radius around the flight the textures blur and is somehow a lot more pronounced and "ugly" in FSX. (It looks more like smudge rather than lack of detail). Pausing of the sim does not clear it. In FS9, turning on the Anisotropic filtering really helped with this issue and gave you an illusion of detail outside of the radius. However, in FSX, turning on Anisotropic filtering doesn't do anything to improve it. In fact I can't see a difference between when Anisotropic filtering is on and and when its off. 2) I have a lot of flashing textures on scenery objects. Most of the airport buildings textures are constantly flashing and shifting. 3) At late dawn I still get a lot of night ground textures that look really strange. The reason it looks strange is that the lights look brighter than the atmospheric lighting effect created by the sun. The effect is like a phosphorous radio active lighting. lol I assume this is a FSX native issue. But is there a third party fix?4) I read people using Nhancer. What is it? and is it useful for FSX?Thank you in advance for your help.Running FSX on 24 inch 1900 by 1200 resolution monitori920 at stock. (waiting for paste to cure)EVGA X58 SliBFG GTX 275

nHancer is a free third party control panel for nVidia cards and a must have. It's better and has more possibilities. Using it might solve some of your problems! If I were you I'd read through this entire post and see where that gets you.About question 2: are you using DX10 preview? This will give some weird effects. Try DX9. Most people don't like and use DX10 preview. Some do though... I don't. But before doing anything else, read the entire link I posted! When you still got problems after setting things up the good way, we'll see what problems are left. :( (BTW When you change something in nHancer, the change is saved immediately in the registry. So there is no need to have nHancer running all the time: I only open it when I want to change a setting and after that I close it again. Quite a few people don't know this, so that's why I post it before you ask about it... :( )

1) Blurries: First of all, let me say that I don't have the dreaded blurries that some have had problems with. Its more of the normal variety type in which outside of a radius around the flight the textures blur and is somehow a lot more pronounced and "ugly" in FSX. (It looks more like smudge rather than lack of detail). Pausing of the sim does not clear it. In FS9, turning on the Anisotropic filtering really helped with this issue and gave you an illusion of detail outside of the radius. However, in FSX, turning on Anisotropic filtering doesn't do anything to improve it. In fact I can't see a difference between when Anisotropic filtering is on and and when its off.
It is normal to have to make some adjustments with a new computer and install of FSX, and anisotropic filtering was a key for me. I have it set to 8x in the Nvidia Control Panel global 3D settings and Texture Filtering - Anisotropic ..... turned on. In FSX, I have filtering set to Anisotropic and the Scenery level of detail radius maxed. I don't see any bluries other than what I consider normal for viewing in the distance. There is a lot of stuff in the forum and at the Nvidia web site for setting up all of this. The only point I'm trying to make is that with some research and your system, you should achieve an outstanding display.As far as the flashing textures at airports, I have seen this on some 3D objects that have an underlying polygon close to another polygon, and I have seen flashing on some of the KLAS buildings. But, to have it on most objects would seem to be a setup problem, maybe associated with mitmaps?

Art

nHancer is a free third party control panel for nVidia cards and a must have. It's better and has more possibilities. Using it might solve some of your problems! If I were you I'd read through this entire post and see where that gets you.About question 2: are you using DX10 preview? This will give some weird effects. Try DX9. Most people don't like and use DX10 preview. Some do though... I don't. But before doing anything else, read the entire link I posted! When you still got problems after setting things up the good way, we'll see what problems are left. :( (BTW When you change something in nHancer, the change is saved immediately in the registry. So there is no need to have nHancer running all the time: I only open it when I want to change a setting and after that I close it again. Quite a few people don't know this, so that's why I post it before you ask about it... :( )
That link says that I should have restarted my system before installing SP2. Well I didn't. I should uninstall and reinstall? What about my MS activation?

Thanks. Does it replace the NVIDIA's control panel?

That link says that I should have restarted my system before installing SP2. Well I didn't. I should uninstall and reinstall? What about my MS activation?
No, that's not necessary at all. I think those restarts are suggested to prevent some unforseen problems, just to be sure and on the safe side, but I have never heard of people actually having problems due to not restarting the computer. It's certainly not worth a un- and reinstall.
Thanks. Does it replace the NVIDIA's control panel?
No. You can still use the nVidia CP, if you want to for some reason. If you have used nHancer and set it up according to the instruction, the options in the nVidia CP will have changed accordingly and some options in the nVidia CP will be set to custom: changing them will require you to set things up again in nHancer. nHancer overwrites the nVidia CP settings and vice versa.