Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Problem with Downloads - zip files opening in browser

Guest zillmer99

Hi Guys,I'm fairly sure this is not a library problem as such but in the last week I am having some intermittent problems downloading files from the library.I'm using Firefox 1.07, and approx 50% or more of the time when I click the download button on a file in the library, the zip file appears to be "opened" in the browser window (which displays a load of garbage text) rather than saving the file to my local drive.I've tried also using Internet Explorer, and sometimes the same thing happens and sometimes it doesn't. I've tried all the obvious things (such as checking the actions associated with the .zip file type in the explorer window) but they are all apparently OK.The behaviour is intermittment, and will sometimes resolve itself within a few minutes, but at other times lasts for hours. Rebooting the PC has no effect, on the problem, which can remain over several reboots and then will disappear apparently at random.I am having no problem downloading .zip files from any other site (I've used Project AI, BA Virtual, and flightsim.com) and downloads from those sites continue as normal even when the problem is occurring with the Avsim library.Any one out there experienced anything similar or got any suggestions as to what might be happening?RegardsSimon.

Guest neilb

I've had the exact same thing, happening intermittently (although its doing it right now).With Firefox. Seems to work with IE though.Makes me think that Firefox is getting the wrong MIME type?

Me too - Firefox new update seems to be the problem - Any fix ideas?(Apart from using IE !!)Gary

Guest j-mo

I'm using the same version of Firefox and have never had this problem. I'm not sure what to suggest, but I doubt it's a Firefox issue per se.Cheers.

Im having the same problems, and instead of intermitant, it is now all the time. Im also using Firefox 1.07. I can download with IE with no problems, although I would prefer to use Firefox.

Guest neilb

Was working yesterday. Not working right now.Whats going on??

Guest neilb

Still got this problem. Was fine uptil yesterday. Been the same with both Firefox 1.3 and 1.5.One thing I've noticed is that everytime I have the problem its from the following: "Source: AVSIM Online -- Virginia, USA via FTP"I don't know if the library uses multiple mirrors, but its always the above that I've noticed this problem with. Unfortunately I've never noticed what it says when it does download correctly.

solution!!!Open firefox, go to TOOLS > OPTIONS > DOWNLOAD ACTIONS > VIEW AND EDIT ACTIONSThen look for ZIP FILES, then REMOVE ACTION for ZIP flies.Then try downloading file from AVSIM, it should ask what you want to do with the file, at this point select SAVE TO DISK, and REMEMBER THIS ACTION, and all should be well.PS I'm not shouting, the capitals are just for clarity....honest!! I noticed that my setting for ZIP files were all correct for save to disk, but still it was trying to open in browser, only a full delete of ZIP file actions cured the problem. Hope this helps!Gary

I too am experiencing a download problem, only I can't download at all from Avsim, using either IE or Firefox 1.5... I would really like to see this problem resolved soon, because it is becoming annoying :(One odd thing though, is that I can download files from the library using my Mac and Firefox 1.5.Another odd thing is that I tried that suggestion right above mine, but I don't have any ZIP files actions :-hmmm Hopefully I can get this sorted out soon.

This problem is not new and was posted under another thread "Wierd screens" some time ago. In that lively thread there were many reactions and mysterious individual solutions but none seemed to really work for most of us Firefox users. The moderators said that they could not duplicate the problem and just left it at that !!However, my "wierd screen" problem disappeared after about 4 weeks just as it had originally appeared, mysteriously, without me actually messing about with anything in Firefox, but now the same problem has suddenly and unexpectedly re-appeared again.Anybody know what could be going on ?HansHolland

Guest Scratch1964

I use Microsoft IE 6.0 only and have not been able to download anything at all since late on Christmas Eve! Up until then I was able to download occasionally although most of the time received a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" message. However, that has now stopped and every attempt results in zip files attempting to download to a temporary folder as opposed to the usual me choosing a suitable place to download to and file name. I did allow one of these files to download itself and then WinZip kicked in but the extracted file was nowhere to be found. The only mention of a temporary folder I could find when searching all files and folders were temp. internet files only. Incidentally, I too have had no problem whatsoever in downloading zip files from any toher site. (Shame 'cos this one's my favourite!)Is the general opinion such that this is a problem associated with an overburdened AVSim library server or perhaps more so with certain types of browser? Is there anything I could be doing wrong to warrant the zip files downloading automatically once the download link is clicked?Scratch1964

Guest Matt Johnson

This sounds more like a local problem -- not entirely sure what though. For the record, the Library server is less busy than it was, but still pretty loaded overall.

Guest Scratch1964

MattThank you for the update on the latest library situationI'm curious as to the exact problem here. Can I completely discount all possibility that this is in any way related to any library problem? I am somewhat confused as I am only having problems downloading from AVSim and not from anywhere else at all.Just trying to establish whether my problem here is related to that of the OP on this thread.Do library Zip files ever download instantly upon clicking 'Download' for any reason? Would there be any reason why they might download to a temporary folder by themselves, thus not allowing my intervention in directing them where I see fit?Perhaps one or two other members have experienced this before, or should I start a separate thread for this one?Regards,Scratch1964

Hi there Scratch1964,Obviously I tried using IE instead of Firefox when the "wierd screens" appeared and I also found that IE was in fact spontaneously downloading something from AVSIM which was nowhere to be found afterwards. I imediately thought that my whole system was somehow damaged, so now I am happy that at least this specific issue does not seem to be the case.The original problem remains however but is definitely intermittent ??RegardsHansHolland

Hi All,This morning I had another forlorn go at trying to download something from the AVSIM library via Firefox and ...... IT WORKED as normal.Like last time, I had done nothing to anything in my system ???It certainly is an intermittent problem.HansHolland