Sign in to follow this  
byork

Nice Video

Amazingly luck to have no traffic on that road! Excellent job by the pilot to to first fly the plane, then look for a landing location...and only than try to restart the engine. Great job on that landing also!

When I saw them touch down on the road at that speed, and the plane jerking violently to the controls I was like HOLY S**T!!!!!! That is amazing, and the crew was fast to react, that is just amazing! I am wondering what the cars on the road were thinking when they saw a plane landing on the highway! xD."Hey mom, look at the plane coming on the highway!""That's silly son, there is no such thing as a plane landing on the street""Well look to your left then!""Told you there was no pla... COVER YOUR EARS SON, COVER YOUR EARS!!! OHHHHHH MYYYY F##$@#$@!^@%IN GODDDDDDDDDDD.!!!!""Can I uncover them now?""Yes. We have to go to CVS quickly, Mommy needs to get some soap for her mouth..."

Amazing! Realy... my toughts..."Beep" holy "Beep"...."Beep"BeepCan we make it back?No.Where we going?Land in that Field?I don

They were extremely lucky there were no power lines on that road...
On my pilot boards the opinion was that this may have been staged or faked. Will be interesting to see if this will turn out to be legit-or like the airplane that landed without 1 wing.

The pilot posted this on the original YouTube Video's remarks:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT58Di51wDk...feature=popular

Happened yesterday in Winter Haven Florida. Please feel free to contact the Polk County Sheriffs office, and/or the Winter Haven Police Department. Landed on Havendale Blvd, about 1/2 mile from the field.
Being the skeptic I am, I actually called the Polk County LEOs and asked. It was real...
No practical joke here. Sounds like fuel. There was 8 gallons in the tank on takeoff, with a fuel burn rate of 2.5 GPH. We ran up and taxied for 6 minutes, and this happened less than two minutes into the flight, hence our low altitude. Thought about returning to the field, but its surrounded by lakes, and chances are we would have not made it. FAA inspector was scratching his head loooking at it yesterday, but amazed that we have it on video.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This incident was indeed real. It got a lot of coverage here in Florida, including some video taken from others in the area after the aircraft had landed and was turning into that parking lot. If you just Google news organizations in Winter Haven you can read about it and see some other video. I was just leaving St. Augustine when I heard a deputy give a press conference on Sirius-XM.

This incident was indeed real. It got a lot of coverage here in Florida, including some video taken from others in the area after the aircraft had landed and was turning into that parking lot. If you just Google news organizations in Winter Haven you can read about it and see some other video. I was just leaving St. Augustine when I heard a deputy give a press conference on Sirius-XM.
Thanks for the investigative work-I just posted googling "winter haven plane emergency" on the board that doubts.

Don't know the area and don't know the glide ratio of the aircraft either, but it looks like a stretch of water ahead when he gets a restart on the engine, I think I'd have gone for that myself. Being that I usually fly stuff where the sound of the wind rushing past the canopy is the loudest noise you hear, I'm kind of used to landing with no engine, and conserving energy to keep up the speed, so I've learned to go for what you know you can make for sure and always stay within a 4:1 glide ratio of somewhere safe when things are marginal. I've landed on a golf course in the past LOL- Not recommended if you want to remain popular with the golfers!Maybe he knows the road enough to know that it would be empty, but for me, there's not much chance of hitting a car, a building or a telegraph pole if you belly it onto water tail first, so that would have been my choice (although more familiarity with the landing gear strength and location might affect that choice). Lots of pilots wouldn't consider something as drastic as going for the water when it is their own aircraft, as it will definitely result in a write off, but a write off is better than pushing up daisies.Nice job all the same.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here