Sign in to follow this  
G-SWSM

Coastal Weirdness.

Hi All.I am wondering if anyone knows what could be causing this strange tile effect on the coast lines, I have not added any scenery lately etc.I'm running GE Pro and FE along with FS Global SE.Thanks for any help in advance.

It appears you have lost your coastlines.To solve the puzzle we need more info like is it global or confined to a single locality?Where do you have this issue?What type of addons do you have that would affect coastlines? Ultimate Terrain being the biggest I am aware of.Be aware that an addon that modifies default files could affect an area far from it.As an example, I have the CRGorge package from Holger Sandmann that greatly improves the Columbia River Valley. While researching another display issue I de-activated it in the scenery library as opposed to un-installing it. This action caused the Seattle area, about 200 miles from the Gorge, to look similar to your screenie.I suspect you are in a similar situation.Fill us in with more details.Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi Joe.I am not using anything else except those mentioned in my initial post.I will try a few flights in other areas to see if this is just a UK coastal issue and report back here with the results.I haven't added anything else for ages now, with the exception of Gary Summonses Sceneries, but they never gave me any problems before now. FS Global SE has been on my system since the install a long time ago, however as you mentioned something is responsible for this issue.I'll let you know my findings.

Hi again.Well, I have taken a few more screen shots as I said before, and here are the results. Also, I disabled FS Global to see if it would make any difference at all and it didn't, so I re-enabled it again.I took a series of five screen shots from FL100, with nothing else running, such as Active sky etc, just the sim and here is what I saw.Starting from top left Pic 1 is around the Scottish coast, pic 2 is Norway, but then we move on to pictures 3,4 and 5, they are from Panama, Florida and Japan. as you can see from the screenies, there are no issues whatsoever with the coast in the last three, so it's the UK,Scotland, Norway and France, Holland etc.This leads me to believe that it's a Europe thing, and I can't for the life of me think of anything I have done to have this happen.Any thoughts or suggestions would be most grateful.

Hi Hans.I looked for EURW/scenery folder (Western Europe) for "HLnnnnnn.xxx" files (Coastlines) but couldn't find any files at all with the name beginning with and extension of HL at all in that scenery folder.If your and my suspicions are correct in that they seem to have disappeared somehow, then can you please tell me which CD they are on and if simply copying them back in to the above folder will fix it.Many thanks for your help with this Hans.PS I will make a complete back up of this EURW/scenery folder just in case before I do anything else so I have a "safety net" so to speak.PPS How co you extract them from the .cab files anyway.

Anyone else have any suggestions as to how to get these files of the respective CD please.Thanks.

Anyone else have any suggestions as to how to get these files of the respective CD please.Thanks.
The contents of Cab files can be extracted just like any zip file.These resources will be helpful:http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/faq001.htmlIt shows where everything is on your install disks and how extract just what you need.I also recommend fs9cddir.zip - compiled by Brian Collins (available here in the library)This is an Excel format listing of all the files on your install disks. A great resource to keep handy.Good luck!

First create a new working folder somewhere outside FS and give it a name so that you can recognise and find it again later.I presume that you have an extraction program somewhere on your system, e.g. WinZip, via which you can "unzip" or "extract" (.ZIP and) .CAB files.The EURW scenery files are on FS9 CD number 3 in a file named: MSGAME8.CAB.Double klick on this .CAB file and you will be presented with the contents, with down the right hand side all the original destination folders.Scroll down untill you find "Scenery/EURW/scenery" on the right and then scroll down further until you find all the ".bgl" files beginning with "HL" within that destination folder.The first one should be: HL939170.bgl and the last one should be: HL952180.bg, 97 files in total.Select all of them from beginning to end and check if they have all become blue. Check again that you have selected only the HL serie from beginning to end within: "Scenery/EURW/scenery".Then right klick on the blue part and one of the options will be "Extract". Left klick on "extract" and you can then navigate to the working folder which you created previously. Then klick the "extract" button. Give the program some time to do it's work, then exit everything and remove the CD from your drive.Now navigate to your working folder where you should find all 97 "HL" files in Scenery/EURW/scenery. Check if all 97 of them are present.Select all 97 "HL" files (no folders) and copy/paste them into your FS9 EURW/scenery folder where all the other .bgl files should still be present. If you were correct in saying that you had no .bgl files beginning with "HL" in your FS9 EURW/scenery folder then you should not be asked for permission to overwrite anything and the whole copy/paste process should go without a hitch. However, if you are asked this, you should say "yes to all" because any missing "HL" files will then be installed as well.I say again, be carefull because all these files look very much alike and errors can easily be made.Good luckHans

Hi All.Well, I folowed the instructions described by Hans, and copied them all to the correct folder after making a back-up first. I then fired up FS9.1 and it generated some scenery indexes etc.But, when flying over the same routing as before the coast line looked the same as the pictures above.Any other suggestions at all guy's.Many thanks for your time, it's very much appreciated.

the HL9 files provide the coastline and the breaking waves. You also need the HP9 files (should have same numeric portion of filenames) to get the actual water to appear.scott s..

Scott,It seems that there is more missing from Steve's EURW/Scenery folder so it's my opinion that he should now replace the total contents.Steve,Delete the complete contents of your EURW/Scenery folder.Copy/paste the whole series of files which have "Scenery/EURW/Scenery" along the right side of the CD list in their place. (803 .bgl files).Make sure that before firing up FS9 you have the correct file structure as follows:FS2004 Scenery EURW Scenery (containing all the newly copied .bgl files = 803 in total). Texture (containing the uptill now untouched .bmp files = 382 in total).Again, Good luckHans

Hi Gang.Thanks Scott, and Hans.Hans, by doing this >FS2004SceneryEURWScenery (containing all the newly copied .bgl files = 803 in total). I have 753 in mineTexture (containing the uptill now untouched .bmp files = 382 in total). I have 170 in mineWill it affect my Flight Environment or Ground Environment Professional files at all do you know ?Thanks again.

Hi Both.Well, here is what I did.I backed up my Complete Scenery EURW Folder to a safe place. Then I popped in the CD3 and extracted All of the contents of the MSGAME8.CAB to a temp folder and then went into this folder and copied the contents of the EURW Texture and Scenery files to the respective Texture and Scenery folders in FS overwriting the ones in there, and adding some that were not in there. (This might be down to some files from add-on sceneries)This is the results of this process, but I do have different file counts from what Hans described. I have 851 in the Scenery folder and 882 in the Texture folder. but I think the screen shots speak for themselves don't you.Please let me know if you think I have done anything wrong in this process, but I do think my problem is now solved regarding the coast lines.I would like to thank you Both for your time and help in this strange situation that I found myself in for whatever reason.All the best.

Some addons will deactivate default files, often by changing the file extension from bgl to xxx so FS9 won't use them. Ground Environment should only affect scenery\world\texture so that won't be an issue. don't know about FE. scott s..