Sign in to follow this  
frankla

Scenery Add ons for FSX

I am looking for couple of scenery add-ons for FSX. I am thinking of UTX and GEX. 1) Does UTX will take care of the land class issue where deserts are everywhere? If not, what is a good Land class program? 2) I am concerned that UTX might be resource hungry. (Night lighting objects, extra traffic, etc.) Is it?3) Are there any other Texture replacement programs than GEX out there that are worth considering?4) Does an environment add-on package such as FEX or REX make as much difference to the immersion feel than? If yes, are they resource hogs?Thanks in advance

I am looking for couple of scenery add-ons for FSX. I am thinking of UTX and GEX. 1) Does UTX will take care of the land class issue where deserts are everywhere? If not, what is a good Land class program? 2) I am concerned that UTX might be resource hungry. (Night lighting objects, extra traffic, etc.) Is it?3) Are there any other Texture replacement programs than GEX out there that are worth considering?4) Does an environment add-on package such as FEX or REX make as much difference to the immersion feel than? If yes, are they resource hogs?Thanks in advance
1. Using UTX, I don't have a problem with everything looking desert-like, but I also downloaded some adjusted textures, so I am not sure how much UTX has helped. UTX is a must, however, for correct shorelines and urban landclass. In Florida, everything is still a little too dead looking in the winter, so I fly only in the summer. :( 2. The UTX setup program briefs you on the performance hit for all features and allows you to turn off anything you wish. I turned off residential streets and 3D night lighting due to the performance hit and appearances.3. I don't use GEX, but others find it essential for the ultimate in VFR scenery. I suppose another step up would be photo scenery.4. I'm sure that the REX and FEX cloud textures and snapshot options can provide an outstanding display with some performance payback, but I'm getting by with ASA and default cloud textures. I think starting with UTX and GEX is a good decision.

Art

It depends on what area you are interested in. UTX and GEX are location-dependent. primarily North America but more recently also including Europe.1. No. The "desert" problem is due to specific terrain textures. GEX has replacements which I find look better in North america.2. Can be, but it can be configured to various levels of complexity. The way I configure it, I don't see a significant impact.3. Well, if Australia is of interest there is FTX which is well-received.4. I personally don't find the environment addons that important, but you will find many other opinions just the opposite.scott s..

It depends on what area you are interested in. UTX and GEX are location-dependent. primarily North America but more recently also including Europe.1. No. The "desert" problem is due to specific terrain textures. GEX has replacements which I find look better in North america.2. Can be, but it can be configured to various levels of complexity. The way I configure it, I don't see a significant impact.3. Well, if Australia is of interest there is FTX which is well-received.4. I personally don't find the environment addons that important, but you will find many other opinions just the opposite.scott s..
So desert problem is not a land class problem? I am surprised.

So desert problem is not a land class problem? I am surprised.
It IS a landclass problem! GEX won't fix this. BTW I like scenery and have FTX. I am not really interested in Autralia but after getting FTX I don't fly anywhere else!!! You could say it's super-UTX, super-GEX and super-landclass for Australia in one package!

Guest Nick_N
It IS a landclass problem! GEX won't fix this.
Thats is not trueThe issue is a combination of landclass and textures.. GEX goes a LONG WAY in getting rid of that in North America and although it is not possible to completely get it out of every nook and cranny the landclass products UTX/SceneryTech very much help the other end.check images yourself.. there are desert shots in these toohttp://gex.flight1.net/Gallery.htmIn GEX the desert actaully looks like the desert and places that were just bland yellow turn green with short grasses, etcWinters and snow are FAR from the bland default and nights are full of lightingI dont know what you have been flying but its not GEX v1.06 through 1.08 if all you see is desert and bland everywhere

Thats is not trueThe issue is a combination of landclass and textures.. GEX goes a LONG WAY in getting rid of that in North America and although it is not possible to completely get it out of every nook and cranny the landclass products UTX/SceneryTech very much help the other end.check images yourself.. there are desert shots in these toohttp://gex.flight1.net/Gallery.htmIn GEX the desert actaully looks like the desert and places that were just bland yellow turn green with short grasses, etcWinters and snow are FAR from the bland default and nights are full of lightingI dont know what you have been flying but its not GEX v1.06 through 1.08 if all you see is desert and bland everywhere
Thanks guys.

The only scenery add ons I have are UTX and GEX. Well worth the $$ spent and the support is great. You can actually tune UTX to get make it do what's important to you. Like FSX itself there are trade off's; the more you load, the bigger the hit. Night lighting is the worst hit, but I still enjoy night flying. I doubt you will regret these purchases. Be sure to check out Flight 1 return policy. I'm not sure but I think they are quite liberal if you don't like a product. Even so, you won't want to return these two products.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

If you can afford it, get UT, GEX, and FEX or REX (I use FEX for clouds and water, X Graphics for sky, lighting, among other things). All highly recommended.I prefer Cloud9 landclass over SceneryTech or FS Genesis landclass, and use it in tandem with UT's lanclass. Landclass is highly important, yet relatively inexpensive.