Sign in to follow this  
burm

FS9 cockpit view

Somtimes when I am flying in a 2d cockpit, I mouseclick the view menu to set the front view to .70 which I use on final approach. Can anyone tell me how I can set this permanently in fs9.ThanksPaul

Somtimes when I am flying in a 2d cockpit, I mouseclick the view menu to set the front view to .70 which I use on final approach. Can anyone tell me how I can set this permanently in fs9.ThanksPaul
---------Paul- easiest way to change Zoom is via keyboard and the default key assignments-Increase Selection Slightly: key =Decrease Selection Slightly: key - Set Zoom to 1.0: key BackspaceOr in Panel Config a line can be added (some addon planes already have this- the DreamFleet Bonanza uses .9 Zoom in all views). The line is:VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM= 1.0 (or your choice)Be cautious in using ZOOM- it can affect depth/distance perception. Whatever you decide, I would recommend same for all views to avoid misjudgments!!!!Alex Reid

if always wondered what effect zoom has. Is 1.0 considered the realist zoom? I usually use .75 or .7 depending on the plane. what exactly gets distorted?

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

Outside view magnification for a realistic view is set based on your monitor size.There is a formula to determine this floating around the builders sites, but I can't remember where I saw it.Not many are worried about a realistically sized view out the front and most monitors are so small (comparatively) that if you had the zoom set to a realistic zoom factor you wouldn't see much outside the aircaft except the runway.

if always wondered what effect zoom has. Is 1.0 considered the realist zoom? I usually use .75 or .7 depending on the plane. what exactly gets distorted?
---------------red1- As you Zoom down/out below 1.0 your Field of View becomes wider but the horizon appears to move away.Zoom up/in causes a narrower FOV and the horizon moves closer.Distortion is the change in apparent distance to objects- such as a runway threshold. The problem arises especially when you change Zoom- your brain may think you are now nearer or further away from the target- such as the end of a runway. Accurate distance perception is a vital attribute for aviators!In flight sim, each view has a Field of View of only 45

Guest ChanRak

Hi Got a question to ask youIs there such a monitor that is in one piece like 24 inch left side, 24 inch middle and 24 inch right side making it a total of 72 inch wide screen???Ok what I am saying is I see on your pic here you have three monitors to make one view being a pilot. Well what I am asking is > Is there a monitor that is complete as a whole pic of 72 inch wide???If not wish they make something like that for gaming. It would be awesome.I know they have T.V. Screens now almost that big. Whether or not it is computer compatible is another matter.Thought to ask the question thoughChanRak

Guest Boeing Skunk Works

There was a post a few weeks ago about a European or Japanese company about to introduce a frameless LCD monitor for various applications. Gaming being one of them.When these monitors are placed side by side and the views adjusted, it looks like one big window and is virtually seamless.BIG $$$! Sorry, no link, but you should be able to search for "frameless monitors".

Hi Got a question to ask youIs there such a monitor that is in one piece like 24 inch left side, 24 inch middle and 24 inch right side making it a total of 72 inch wide screen???Ok what I am saying is I see on your pic here you have three monitors to make one view being a pilot. Well what I am asking is > Is there a monitor that is complete as a whole pic of 72 inch wide???If not wish they make something like that for gaming. It would be awesome.I know they have T.V. Screens now almost that big. Whether or not it is computer compatible is another matter.Thought to ask the question thoughChanRak
--------------------Awhile back AlienWare showed pics of a large curved monitor that offered 2880x900 res. (search under AlienWare monitor)It is possible to have 3 different synched views on a single very large screen- the pic is a demo of this, albeit done on a 19 CRT just to see if it works. The problem with multiple views is that each view must be seen as square to the pilot's eyes- hence the outer mons must be angled toward the pilot. If they are not square to ones eyes, the monitor face will appear narrower while the view remains constant width. Hence distortion.This is why a visitor sitting beside you will see a very distorted picture- for ex. a runway will angle off to the side even though you, the pilot see it as being straight ahead.If you have 3 views on a large single flat screen, the horizon will bend when the aircraft rolls or pitches up/down. This is why I think 3 separate monitors (with the outer mons angled toward the pilot to maintain a square line of sight) is most practical. And maintains a straight horizon in roll manoeuvers. This gives me a 3072x768 res- and when the images are accurately synchronized, your brain sees a SINGLE very wide pic. The mon bezels just "disappear!"3- 19 inch LCDs with the outers angled, will give you a perspective of close to 180

I've been researching a work project and have found a manufacturer in China that will make me an LED screen as big as I want, which in this case is 5m x 3m, that