Hi,Not sure if this belongs here. While I wait for the I7 975 chip to be released, I was wondering if Windows 7 handles memory better than windows XP Pro. Would there be any benefit in running the 32 bit version of Windows 7 until I can build my new system.Also any thoughts on running Windows 7 64 bit with the I7 975 setup once its built?, or should I just go with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.One other question, would I see an increase in performance by creating a 10 gig partition to be used only for my swap file?. I think this would get rid of any disk fragmentation.Thanks

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Windows 7 (and Windows Vista) handle memory *much* better than Windows XP. There is no comparison, and you should not even be considering running Windows XP as your primary OS at this point in time.

For me, I wouldn't want to spend good money on Vista Ultimate, and then again on Win 7, and I can't imagine staying on Vista after Win 7 is out.scott s..

Guest Nick_N

Windows7 is showing issues with FSX.. something about the kneeboard not working as I recall and a few other nit-pic problems. I do not know the status of FS9 in W7. I have not heard or seen anything major wrong though.I can also tell you that W7 shows NO perf advantage of Vista64None the less you need a 64bit OS regardless of the OS so what ever you decide it can not be 32bitAnd I would fully argue VISTA memory management is better than XP in the typical programs we use everyday.. The ONLY advantage Vista has over XP in how it manages memory is in applications that USE THE ADVANCED INTEL AND AMD CPU INSTRUCTIONS.. FS9/FSX does not take any advantage of such design.If the users primary application is scientific, engineering or AV production which all make use of the advanced CPU instructions and has been upgraded for VISTA use, VISTA is a better OS to use.. otherwise.. it does not matterThats the part they did not tell anyone when they advertised Vista initially.. and why sys admins a high level corp systems who know better refuse to buy into the HYPE and still do!http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30229756/Most software in use in these systems runs better on XP or there is no difference at all.. why spend millions to upgade?They figured that one out from the very start.Part of the newer Intel instructions are based in advanced memory address optimizing of calls and cache of instructions which Vista/W7 caters to if the application is designed for it.... neither FS9 or FSX comply in their design to enable/use the features... at ALL.that is one of the reasons when FSX was first released they had to pull some of the claims back... as in FSX was FULLY OPTIMIZED for Windows Vista... NOT TRUEThey changed the language/verbiage around it to comply with truth in advertising laws...and that OS is the reason Aces was closed. MS blew it and could not afford to keep their projects that did not provide major income or would be direct competition to apple and others such as Zune... They needed to maintain SEARCH and LIVE as competition to Google and Yahoo so they diverted resources to those project and things like MSFS, which made them money but not billions and certainly had no market competition are no more

Hi Nick,Well, I don't think I'm going to use Vista, even though I have Vista Ultimate (64 Bit version). I'm thinking of purchasing Windows XP Pro 64 bit because I'm having problems with Windows 7 (Build 7068). I know this is just a beta and it will get better as time goes by, but I am hoping to have my new I7 975 chip soon and can begin to build this new system. If the reviews are favorable after Windows 7 is released I will make the jump to 7.Are there any problems with Windows XP Pro 64 Bit O/S and drivers?. This is the final stats on the new system.1. Antec 1200 Case (Eight Cooling Fans)2. Enermax Galaxy 1000 Watt Power Supply3. Two Western Digital SATA 10,000 RPM Hard Drives (150 gig each)4. One Western Digital SATA 7,200 RPM Hard Drive (74 Gig) (Will contain the O/S)5. One Sony DVD Dual Layer Burner6. One ASUS DVD Dual Layer Burner7. One 3.5 Inch Floppy Drive8. Corsair or OCZ 6 Gig 7-8-7-20 (2000) Memory9. Prolima Megahalems CPU Cooler with a Thermalright 120mm 1600rpm fan10. Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Sound Board11. Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB Monitor (will run FSX/FS9 at 1600x1200x32)12. Precision Flight Controls Jetliner Flight Yoke & Throttle13. I7 975 Processor14. Keyboard and Mouse15. BFG 285 GTX Video boardI think that's everything.Also I read somewhere that I would see an improvement if I create a10 gig partition and use this for my swap file, is this correct and will I see some type of improvement doing this on the O/S hard drive?. Also, FS9 and addons will be on one 10,000 RPM drive and FSX and addons will be on the other.Thanks for all the help everyone, especially you Nick, you've been a great help to me in getting the system setup.Thanks everyone

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Guest Nick_N

Check and make sure you have drivers available for all your hardware.. in this day and age most do but verifyUsually its the input devices that may lack.. many of them only need USB support.. others may have issues.Go down the list and confirm the support. As for swap file moving. ... thats horse manureI just went through all that in this post.. Item #3http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=1571679