Sign in to follow this  
tango

Ken Mitchell A320 Panel problems...

I've been using Ken Mitchell panels now for quite a while (A320, A340, B727, B737) and I rate them by and large to be the best for simplicity, looks, and quality. Recently I took a short trip in the iFDG A320 with the Ken Mitchell panel and I noticed a few very strange things.1) If I select full flaps when descending on the glideslope (ILS approach), the aircraft goes into what seems to be TOGA mode and starts climbing like a bat out of hell! If I drop flaps back to setting 3 then I am fine, it settles back down on the glideslope. I am sure I am not too slow because the last time I tried it I was descending with a speed of 160 KIAS. Any ideas why this might be?2) When I set the autobrake, when I get on the ground, it takes the aircraft to a complete stop and doesn't disengage once I have stowed the buckets and have long since released the brake. What's going on here?There are other issues, with regard to the sounds, but I think that's an issue with the soundset that I am using. I will also have to adjust the [autopilot] section of the aircraft.cfg file because the intercept of radials and localisers is not as smooth as I would like, with a lot of wandering going on before finally establishing. Would really like some feedback on this please guys. Thanks a lot.

Update:With regard to item 2 above, I have installed and run Eric Marciano's panel and the same thing happens there as well. I arm the autobrake to say [HIGH] and when I get on the ground no matter what I do it just won't disengage automatically. I spoke with a pal of mine that flies A320s (and A321s) and he assured me that the autobrake is supposed to disengage once the toe brakes are depressed. Antiskid remains in action until below 20kts, he said. So, what am I doing wrong? Or is there really an ironic identical problem with both panels?

Guest belga1

Hello,As far I recall .. I use KM panel with the Project Airbuse's .. and I suffer the same problem...Methink the autobrake auto release when blah blah is not implemented ...Can be wrong of course .Regards.bye.gif

Thanks a lot brother! Honestly, before I install a new aircraft, my FIRST move is to see if Ken makes a panel for it. If not, I may go searching for an equivalent. More often than not if Ken doesn't do a panel it's not up to my requirements and I don't install the aircraft. I have no ends of respect for the man. However, with every genius there comes one piece of work of art that isn't quite there with the rest of them. The A320 is, I'm afraid, it. Oh well. I'm seeing faults with the Marciano panel too, so I guess my OCD will NEVER be put to rest! LOL!

I've been using Ken Mitchell panels now for quite a while (A320, A340, B727, B737) and I rate them by and large to be the best for simplicity, looks, and quality. Recently I took a short trip in the iFDG A320 with the Ken Mitchell panel and I noticed a few very strange things.1) If I select full flaps when descending on the glideslope (ILS approach), the aircraft goes into what seems to be TOGA mode and starts climbing like a bat out of hell! If I drop flaps back to setting 3 then I am fine, it settles back down on the glideslope. I am sure I am not too slow because the last time I tried it I was descending with a speed of 160 KIAS. Any ideas why this might be?2) When I set the autobrake, when I get on the ground, it takes the aircraft to a complete stop and doesn't disengage once I have stowed the buckets and have long since released the brake. What's going on here?There are other issues, with regard to the sounds, but I think that's an issue with the soundset that I am using. I will also have to adjust the [autopilot] section of the aircraft.cfg file because the intercept of radials and localisers is not as smooth as I would like, with a lot of wandering going on before finally establishing. Would really like some feedback on this please guys. Thanks a lot.
The first problem is not a panel problem, sounds like an aircraft problem. Check a/c with other panels.The second is something I posted about a while back and it happens on all FS a/c. The solution someone posted is to assign a key to the autobrake decrease function and keep pressing the key until the autobrake is disengaged. Works for me although I wish the engagement of brake would auto-disengage autobrake as in real life but alas...Hope this helps.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest ChanRak
The first problem is not a panel problem, sounds like an aircraft problem. Check a/c with other panels.The second is something I posted about a while back and it happens on all FS a/c. The solution someone posted is to assign a key to the autobrake decrease function and keep pressing the key until the autobrake is disengaged. Works for me although I wish the engagement of brake would auto-disengage autobrake as in real life but alas...Hope this helps.Shez
Well as of Ken Mitchell, he sort of quit and disappeared some time ago complaining that people don't respect him or something of that sort. Anyway he has not been back since to the best of my knowledge.As of his panels, forget it. It really is not one of the better ones anyway, even tho it looks good for simplicity etc, but I have seen better ones and even designed and made my own panel which is awesome but I will not upload it to any site. It took me a long time to put everything together just where I want it to be, and other people may not like my choices.If you guys really want to have a good panel, buy the FS Panel Studio and you can make one from scratch that can work for planes of your choice. There is so many gauges out there you can choose which you like to put on your panel.Personally I think this way is better. Sure one can have the basic panel minus all the gauges as your starting bitmap, and go from there. Place one in and place another one, etc and so on. By end of the night, you can see your very own creation and then you can test it out on the plane. Viola it all works like a charm.So in regards to of Ken M., well he left everybody hanging out to dry, out of his anger, and personally I think he was very wrong to treat us like we were nobodies. He put all his panels out so I think he should at least fix his work to make it right, and to respond but he doesn't do even this much for anyone. So my respect for him is gone. I know some parts of the argument itself and it is not my place to mention it. That is between him and the people whom he is having the disputes with. 2 going on 3 years now.ChanRak

Wow, Chan, you made an "awesome" panel but only one person is using it--you. Thanks for not leaving us "hanging out to dry" like Ken Mitchell. Really appreciate that. Magnanimous :( As for Ken Mitchell, geez, I wonder how many tens of thousands of people, aside from the OP, "rate them by and large to be the best for simplicity, looks, and quality" when, as you have been so generous as to tell us, "forget it. It really is not one of the better ones anyway." Anyway, not as good as yours. Glad to see that you respect the other people in the community as much as you respect one of the most prolific makers of panels we ever had. Reading between the lines in your post, I get the impression that you used his panels in the past, found them to be not as awesome as the ones you can make in a single night with your payware program, and have been harboring a grudge ever since. Your post really made me feel good about life. I don't know whether I appreciate your panel-making skills or the way you express yourself more, because I also couldn't help noticing one little word you like that seems to sum it all up -- "Viola." Here's a little story that it brings to mind. I decided yesterday morning that I wanted to become a world-famous concert musician because I'm sure I have really awesome talent, and it beats working for a living. So I figured I'd learn to play the voilin. I went down to the music store but they were out of voilins. However, the guy there gave me a great deal on a voila, and as soon as I laid eyes on it, I said, "Viola." Now I am only looking to fork out some money on a computer program to teach me to play, but I won't let anybody listen anyway, and I think that's just awesome, exactly like my musical talent. Anyway, with a deep bow of respect (from one awesome artist to another),William Brand

Guest lgvpilot1
Wow, Chan, you made an "awesome" panel but only one person is using it--you. Thanks for not leaving us "hanging out to dry" like Ken Mitchell. Really appreciate that. Magnanimous :( As for Ken Mitchell, geez, I wonder how many tens of thousands of people, aside from the OP, "rate them by and large to be the best for simplicity, looks, and quality" when, as you have been so generous as to tell us, "forget it. It really is not one of the better ones anyway." Anyway, not as good as yours. Glad to see that you respect the other people in the community as much as you respect one of the most prolific makers of panels we ever had. Reading between the lines in your post, I get the impression that you used his panels in the past, found them to be not as awesome as the ones you can make in a single night with your payware program, and have been harboring a grudge ever since. Your post really made me feel good about life. I don't know whether I appreciate your panel-making skills or the way you express yourself more, because I also couldn't help noticing one little word you like that seems to sum it all up -- "Viola." Here's a little story that it brings to mind. I decided yesterday morning that I wanted to become a world-famous concert musician because I'm sure I have really awesome talent, and it beats working for a living. So I figured I'd learn to play the voilin. I went down to the music store but they were out of voilins. However, the guy there gave me a great deal on a voila, and as soon as I laid eyes on it, I said, "Viola." Now I am only looking to fork out some money on a computer program to teach me to play, but I won't let anybody listen anyway, and I think that's just awesome, exactly like my musical talent. Anyway, with a deep bow of respect (from one awesome artist to another),William Brand
:( Well Said William , saved me a lot of typing It is little wonder People like Ken Mitchell walk away when this is the sort of atitude you have to face as a FREEWARE developer .Mark

William,What a superb response! I don't play the voila myself - just precussion. :(

Guest belga1

Hello,

Well as of Ken Mitchell, he sort of quit and disappeared some time ago complaining that people don't respect him or something of that sort
but I will not upload it to any site. It took me a long time to put everything together just where I want it to be, and other people may not like my choices
Have you fear to be yourself not respected .. or are you crushed by the weight of your modesty ? badteeth.gifSorry to feeding the troll .......Regards.bye.gif

FWIW, regarding item #2, if you have rudder pedals, I disengage the autobrake and tap the pedals and the autobrake disengages. I would assume it would do something similar if you don't have rudder pedals and you hit the braking key you have assigned, but I haven't tried that.Eric

Ken and I were in contact for the longest time. He built the Boeing B314 Clipper panel at my request.I use it constantly and wish I was able to build panels like that.I think Ken (and others like Mike Stone) just get sick of people complaining about something notworking when it has nothing to do with the panels or aircraft. It seems the constant b*tching aboutprojects which are FREE wears guys down. Ken and Mike weren't the first to bailout on freeware.Ken sent me an e:mail telling me he was going to "retire". I was hoping I could keep in touch withhim just as a new cyber friend but he seemed to disappear off the face of the earth.I hope life is going well, Ken. I still use at least 4 of your panels. :-)CK