I have my mobo set to automatically turn on and off the CPU fan. I have just replaced the Intel stock cooler on my Q6600 today with an Ultra-120 eXtreme, and noted that the fan was not running (it does on CPU start). I have yet to stoke a fire under the CPU, which should make the fan spin, but I wondered at what CPU temperature do fans usually cut in or out? My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-X38T-DQ6. I do have the capacity in BIOS to turn on the CPU fan and keep it turned on regardless of CPU temps. Core Temp reports CPU temps between 37 and 43 degrees C (no overclock yet), between the 4 cores.Thanks, Bruce.

Guest Nick_N
I have my mobo set to automatically turn on and off the CPU fan. I have just replaced the Intel stock cooler on my Q6600 today with an Ultra-120 eXtreme, and noted that the fan was not running (it does on CPU start). I have yet to stoke a fire under the CPU, which should make the fan spin, but I wondered at what CPU temperature do fans usually cut in or out? My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-X38T-DQ6. I do have the capacity in BIOS to turn on the CPU fan and keep it turned on regardless of CPU temps. Core Temp reports CPU temps between 37 and 43 degrees C (no overclock yet), between the 4 cores.Thanks, Bruce.
That fan better be running.. at least 1000RPM at low end and 100% when above 60cThe Thermalringht 120 EX does not come with a PWM 4 pin fan.. as a matter of fact unless its the i7 1366 version it does not come with a fan at allif this is a 3 pin fan and your motherboard is 4 pin you need to make sure the BIOS is set to run that fan without AUTO control.. 3 pin fans only run 100% on 4 pin motherboard headers and there is NO controlyou need a fan like this to vary speed automatically based on temp:http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5879/fan..._R121225BU.html4 pin PWM fan

That fan better be running.. at least 1000RPM at low end and 100% when above 60cThe Thermalringht 120 EX does not come with a PWM 4 pin fan.. as a matter of fact unless its the i7 1366 version it does not come with a fan at allif this is a 3 pin fan and your motherboard is 4 pin you need to make sure the BIOS is set to run that fan without AUTO control.. 3 pin fans only run 100% on 4 pin motherboard headers and there is NO controlyou need a fan like this to vary speed automatically based on temp:http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5879/fan..._R121225BU.html4 pin PWM fan
Thanks for the great info Nick, as always :)Mine (Ultra-120-Extreme-775 RT) did come with a fan (part #6 = FDB fan + fan holder), but I certainly take your point about the fan spinning. I was only noting the lack of spinning while the machine was in POST- it would spin for a second or so, then stop through the POST process. So, I need to watch this further through the boot-up process. Running FSX last night, not over-clocked yet, I saw temps at about 47 C on CoreTemp, however I would lkke to stress test the CPU for heat dissapation so want to be sure that everything is working OK.Thanks for the link to the fan, I might buy this and substitute.Thanks again Nick, Bruce.

Guest Nick_N

Yes, the Ultra-120-Extreme-775 RT has a fan.. that one is the newer re-release of the TRU120EFor nearly 2 years none of the TRU120E HS came with fans they only started adding them in the last 6 monthsThe fan is 3pin and is not a 4pin PMW fan so you need to make sure it is working on the right BIOS settings.. As mentioned the morthboard wants to see a 4pin PWM fan for full control over speed

Yes, the Ultra-120-Extreme-775 RT has a fan.. that one is the newer re-release of the TRU120EFor nearly 2 years none of the TRU120E HS came with fans they only started adding them in the last 6 monthsThe fan is 3pin and is not a 4pin PMW fan so you need to make sure it is working on the right BIOS settings.. As mentioned the morthboard wants to see a 4pin PWM fan for full control over speed
Thanks Nick.In my BIOS I have the following adjustments:1. CPU Smart fan Control:Enables or Disables CPU fan control speed function, mine is set to Enabled.2. CPU Smart Fan Mode: (applies if CPU Smart Fan Control is set to Enable)Auto lets BIOS determine which type of CPU fan is installed and set the appropriate fan control mode.Voltage- sets voltage mode for a 3-pin CPU fan.PWM- Sets PWM mode for a 4 pin CPU fan.Mine is set to Auto.What I hear you saying, until I can get a 4 pin fan, is to set the CPU Smart Fan Control to Disabled (this will make the fan run at full speed constantly).One question- if a 4 pin fan is required for PWM, why do they even make 3 pin fans? Just wondering.Thanks again, Bruce.

Guest Nick_N
One question- if a 4 pin fan is required for PWM, why do they even make 3 pin fans? Just wondering.Thanks again, Bruce.
This is the one and only negative comment you will see me post about Thermalright when it come to the fan on that unit..THEY ARE CHEAP S.O.B.