Sign in to follow this  
Guest stevepow

The diffrence bettween GMT ant UTC time

Guest stevepow

OK im a little confused here. I fly for southwest virtual and recently i have been printing out reserved flight plans and on the flight plans are the times for departure and arrivals. now this is where i get lost local time says 12:35 pm then underneath it, it says 15:35 UTC now what really7 gets me is that when im setting up the flight in flight Sim and i set the time to local time(12:35pm) on the right hand side it also sets the GMT time but the GMT time for 12:35pm is 1935. So how could the UTC time and the GMT time be the same if they both show different times for the local time. I'm so confused, :( please can someone explain this to me

OK im a little confused here. I fly for southwest virtual and recently i have been printing out reserved flight plans and on the flight plans are the times for departure and arrivals. now this is where i get lost local time says 12:35 pm then underneath it, it says 15:35 UTC now what really7 gets me is that when im setting up the flight in flight Sim and i set the time to local time(12:35pm) on the right hand side it also sets the GMT time but the GMT time for 12:35pm is 1935. So how could the UTC time and the GMT time be the same if they both show different times for the local time. I'm so confused, :( please can someone explain this to me
Uhh they're the exact same. UTC is just a newer name for it. Zulu time, UTC, and GMT are all the same so there is a mistake in the flightplan...

Guest CX355

Time can be very confusing....just try to use 24 clock at all times and forget the am/pm stuff. Vincent

Yeah, forget about local time and just use GMT/UTC/Zulu/whatyamightcallit only. Your local time probably varies due to daylight savings and such which also helps in confusing matters. You most likely have a setting wrong somewhere in the software that provides the flightplan or your sim. ;)Perhaps helpful, A bunch of times

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_TimeThis explains everything...
Quote from the Wikipedia article (completely out of context, and apropos to nothing): "Over several centuries, the frequency of leap seconds will become problematic. Sometime in the 22nd century, two leap seconds will be required every year. The current use of only the leap second opportunities in June and December will be insufficient, and the March and September options will have to be used. In the 25th century, four leap seconds will be required every year, so the current quarterly options will be insufficient. Thereafter there will need to be the possibility of leap seconds at the end of any month. In about two thousand years even that will become insufficient, and there will have to be leap seconds that are not at the end of a month"I can see how that could wreck havoc to airline schedules. One more thing to worry about ...

Funny... I wonder if there will be "airline schedules" in 2000 years' time...:)Bears thinking about...Andrew

Maybe we will be beaming ourselves around?

Dan Downs KCRP