Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

MD11 Issues

Now that I'm very comfortable flying the MD11 in all conditions I've started doing short flights between OBBI - OKBK with the failure setting set at 20 failures per hour with a max of 10 failures. It's been lots of fun scanning the QRH for a fix and getting the aircraft down safely but I've got a few questions.1. Engine Vibration HI - This looks like a bug that was not fixed in the patch - When this failure occurs the EAD and master warning flashes on off constantly, could someone test this on there system?2. Rejected T/O before V1 Spoilers deployed but I was unable to rearm the spoilers on the next T/O attempt. I use hardware for the spoilers programmed through FSUIPC and the EXT/RET and arming work every other time.3. Not a bug, If I lose a major electrical system I will likely lose one of the flight displays, on the 744 I use the panel switching to reconfigure, the MD11 does this automatically, My issue is I had a electrical fault and lost the DU4 system display, now this display has all the faults and consequences etc, I was unable to read any faults and deal with them. On the 744 I can move the secondary Eicas to another screen, how does this work on the MD11?CheersRob

Rob Prest

Now that I'm very comfortable flying the MD11 in all conditions I've started doing short flights between OBBI - OKBK with the failure setting set at 20 failures per hour with a max of 10 failures. It's been lots of fun scanning the QRH for a fix and getting the aircraft down safely but I've got a few questions.1. Engine Vibration HI - This looks like a bug that was not fixed in the patch - When this failure occurs the EAD and master warning flashes on off constantly, could someone test this on there system?2. Rejected T/O before V1 Spoilers deployed but I was unable to rearm the spoilers on the next T/O attempt. I use hardware for the spoilers programmed through FSUIPC and the EXT/RET and arming work every other time.3. Not a bug, If I lose a major electrical system I will likely lose one of the flight displays, on the 744 I use the panel switching to reconfigure, the MD11 does this automatically, My issue is I had a electrical fault and lost the DU4 system display, now this display has all the faults and consequences etc, I was unable to read any faults and deal with them. On the 744 I can move the secondary Eicas to another screen, how does this work on the MD11?CheersRob
Rob,Using FSX/ MD11 GE1- Comp and Turb values are altering constantly between normal and abnormal vibration values.2- Not using FSUIPC: Spoiler reset / rearm without problem.3- DU5 will show SD in this case automatically. Use ND on the SDCP to view Nav info.Regards,Harry

Rob,Using FSX/ MD11 GE1- Comp and Turb values are altering constantly between normal and abnormal vibration values.2- Not using FSUIPC: Spoiler reset / rearm without problem.3- DU5 will show SD in this case automatically. Use ND on the SDCP to view Nav info.Regards,Harry
1. Ok I can live with that, Just seems weird that the lights would flash like that, seems very distracting.2. I'm going to test this again tonight, probably a one of hardware problem.3. It all makes sense now, I have the F/O DU's turned off and mine undocked to other monitors.Thanks for your reply, I also cant find a Aileron Deflect OVRD switch but I guess they didn't include it.CheersRob

Rob Prest

Got curious and looked up hi eng vib in the FCOM and was surprised to see that no action is required as long as all other engine indications are normal (A.10.25). I guess a sensor failure is one of the possibilities.

Dan Downs KCRP

1. Ok I can live with that, Just seems weird that the lights would flash like that, seems very distracting.Thanks for your reply, I also cant find a Aileron Deflect OVRD switch but I guess they didn't include it.CheersRob
Rob,1. If these were real indications, I would suspect faulty vibration sensors.Indeed very distracting. Don't think PMDG intended to program it that way.Aileron Deflect OVRD? Please give a hint on that.Regards,Harry

Rob,1. If these were real indications, I would suspect faulty vibration sensors.Indeed very distracting. Don't think PMDG intended to program it that way.Aileron Deflect OVRD? Please give a hint on that.Regards,Harry
I think it's there to help trouble shoot faults if we get a AIL DEFLECT DISAG (Not sure this is even simulated)This is taken from a real MD11 FCOM - If the AILERON DEFLECTION OVRD switch is placed in the OVRD position following takeoff, the ailerons will be deflected again if the FLAP/SLAT handle is at anytime, placed in the takeoff flap range (6.5 to 30 degrees). This function is intended to provide the flight crew with the capability of cycling the aileron deflection system should an AIL DEFLECT DISAG alert be displayed flollowing flap/slat retraction during normal wing cleanup.Perhaps someone in the know could clarify something, I fly with FEDEX virtual and have been hunting down all there options. Like with UPS a large number of there MD11's are ex pax converts with various options, most of them GE powered except a few ex Swissair PW powered aircraft. It seems like they have disabled CWS and there High GW T/O is conducted with Flap 28 which means Deflected Ailerons must be installed, yet I read a document that claims they disabled this option due to a high number of AIL DEFLECT DISAG alerts even on there out of the factory machines. Does anyone have definite info on this?CheersRob

Rob Prest

I think it's there to help trouble shoot faults if we get a AIL DEFLECT DISAG (Not sure this is even simulated)This is taken from a real MD11 FCOM - If the AILERON DEFLECTION OVRD switch is placed in the OVRD position following takeoff, the ailerons will be deflected again if the FLAP/SLAT handle is at anytime, placed in the takeoff flap range (6.5 to 30 degrees). This function is intended to provide the flight crew with the capability of cycling the aileron deflection system should an AIL DEFLECT DISAG alert be displayed flollowing flap/slat retraction during normal wing cleanup.Perhaps someone in the know could clarify something, I fly with FEDEX virtual and have been hunting down all there options. Like with UPS a large number of there MD11's are ex pax converts with various options, most of them GE powered except a few ex Swissair PW powered aircraft. It seems like they have disabled CWS and there High GW T/O is conducted with Flap 28 which means Deflected Ailerons must be installed, yet I read a document that claims they disabled this option due to a high number of AIL DEFLECT DISAG alerts even on there out of the factory machines. Does anyone have definite info on this?CheersRob
Rob,Thanks for explaining this OVRD switch, never heard of it before.My real KL MD11 FCOM does not mention this switch, nor is it mentioned in the AIL DEFLECT DISAG procedure.Sorry, can't help on the Fedex questions.Regards,Harry

Got curious and looked up hi eng vib in the FCOM and was surprised to see that no action is required as long as all other engine indications are normal (A.10.25). I guess a sensor failure is one of the possibilities.
Hi Dan,Missed your post some hours ago, see now your reference to a sensor failure as well.What is strange here is that both the Comp and the Turb sensors indicate values altering between normal and abnormal vibration.While this happens, Master Caution lights and Alerts are triggered ON/OFF, very distrackting, but this also kills the effectiveness of the warning system regarding any other failure.As I stated before:Don't think PMDG intended to program it that way.Regards,Harry