Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jason1970

PMDG MD-11 FMS question

Guest Jason1970

Hello,Wonder if someone can help me out.I can program the FMC pretty well now and fly the aircraft pretty comfortably. However I cannot set up the 250kts climb limit below 10000ft.I am presing the right LSK button and indeed change the climb speed limit from whatever speed to 250/10000 . It does show in the main navigation display as a little 250/10000 in purple. However the aircaft continues to increase speed in the climb when I want it to not go over 250k below 10000ft. The only way i can do this is to physically change point by point in the FPLAN page.Can someone please advice if theres something wrong? Or maybe its just me doing it incorrectly?PLease adviceThanksJason

Not sure why people in the simming community are so obsessed with not flying above 250 knots.. You fly the aircrafts safe clean speed, real world ATC are fully aware and will accommodate. In descent is another story.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest mariner75
Hello,Wonder if someone can help me out.I can program the FMC pretty well now and fly the aircraft pretty comfortably. However I cannot set up the 250kts climb limit below 10000ft.I am presing the right LSK button and indeed change the climb speed limit from whatever speed to 250/10000 . It does show in the main navigation display as a little 250/10000 in purple. However the aircaft continues to increase speed in the climb when I want it to not go over 250k below 10000ft. The only way i can do this is to physically change point by point in the FPLAN page.Can someone please advice if theres something wrong? Or maybe its just me doing it incorrectly?PLease adviceThanksJason
Not sure why people in the simming community are so obsessed with not flying above 250 knots.. You fly the aircrafts safe clean speed, real world ATC are fully aware and will accommodate. In descent is another story.Rob
Rob your right on. Jason, in certain aircraft, heavies inparticular, when they climb out and are in a clean configuration, there minimum safe speed is about 250 kts. The 747 did the same thing for me. As Rob said, during a descent, the 250 rule is a must.Jared

Not sure why people in the simming community are so obsessed with not flying above 250 knots.. You fly the aircrafts safe clean speed, real world ATC are fully aware and will accommodate. In descent is another story.
I'd call it a healthy obsession. I certainly wouldn't exceed 250 without talking to ATC first.Paul

Usually if I get a speed limit imposed (say on Vatsim etc) I will just move to MCP speed and select the required speed there, usually this will mean you will be a certain amount of flap or slat out till you can accellerate, and may indeed mean dragging your slat extended all the way up to 10,000 with the fuel penalty this implies. Asking ATC for cancellation of speed, or say "Accelerate to 280 knots" is a good policy, although on vatsim most of the better controllers will offer it to you without you asking as soon as they notice your on a longhaul in a heavy jet.Only way to ensure 250kts and below when heavy is to come out of managed mode (or VNAV as it were) and select the speed required.On the way down you will be below 250kts (245 in the MD, 240 in the 744) as you should be below Max landing weight. If you are not below max landing weight and landing, then it's an emergency landing anyway so 250kts wont neccicarily apply, but I also wouldn't wanna know what your Vref is gonna be :( 180? and lots of inertia making your breaking effectiveness bad to boot.Trent

I think most guys fly with FSPassengers which has this limit hardcoded and although you can ask for it to be lifted, it's most often declined. Disabling this in FSP is of course an option if you fly the MD but again, some might not like the cheats enabled entry in their log files from FSP. FRED