Sign in to follow this  
frankla

Newbe Overclocking question

OK Frank if that is the case then the board uses 1.1v as the base and not 1.2vyes you are safe.. SPEC is 'within' .5v of DRAM (DIMM)You want 1.35-1.37v for CPU VTT in a 4GHz clock as you increase BCLOCK+200mv will probably be fine for you since you are under 3.8-4GhzIf you go to 3.8-4GHz that will need to come up to +250mv but never, ever higher than +320mv (1.42v)I would definitely get the UCLK up... To tell you the truth I think anyone who would suggest you keep that at 4.8MT/s is either stoned or stupid.. you are reducing latency to the memory as that speed increases and although you do not want to exceed values based on QPI/UCLK you do need to set it for performance use. The settings I posted above in the calculator should be correct for it @ 170x20 and 8x memory multiplier on DDR3 1600I am outta here now Frank.. I have a flight to catch tomorrow and will not be on the boards regularly for a while.. so you are on your own for now... Hope what I posted helps
Hi Nick,Your posts always helps. When I set the data rate at, 6.4 MT/S, my system completely crashed as soon as I pressed F10 to save the setting. I had also increased the voltages a little, so I am not sure what caused it, but It wouldn't even post. So I pressed the Cmos reset button to be able to get my computer back to life. Ofcoarse all the settings were back to default. So I don't know what I did wrong there.edit: I made a mistake. data rate selection for EVGA is for bringing down data rates for i965. But one can not choose to set it any higher than 4.8MT/s for 920. It is indeed locked. It does however scale up as Base Clock frequency is increased. So I was wrong in my initial assumption. I hope I didn't damage anything when I set it up higher manually. I am running it stable at 3.5 mhz now.

Guest Nick_N
Hi Nick,Your posts always helps. When I set the data rate at, 6.4 MT/S, my system completely crashed as soon as I pressed F10 to save the setting. I had also increased the voltages a little, so I am not sure what caused it, but It wouldn't even post. So I pressed the Cmos reset button to be able to get my computer back to life. Ofcoarse all the settings were back to default. So I don't know what I did wrong there.
That could be because you can not exceed 3060 unless QPI is in spec. Make sure QPI Frequency @ 170 BCLOCK is 20x or 3400 too. OR there is a voltage too low.. one or both.Try again.. this time, set CPU VTT to +250mv, DIMM to 1.66v, BCLOCK to 180, QPI Frequency to 3600 or 20x, UCLK Frequency or Uncore Multiplier to 3240 (18x) Memory to 8x or DDR3 1440Vcore or CPU Voltage to somewhere between 1.31 and 1.35See if that works and if so check for load tempsIf it doesnt, set it back to what was working for you.. you can still increase BCLOCK and that will raise UNCORE speed that way.. you are good to 80c in LOAD using REALTEMPAlso, the EVGA BIOS system may be handling things differently Frank. I have not studied it extensively. What I have been suggesting may not work because I am unaware of how their BIOS math works. They may have a calculator posted in one of those threads over there that takes their BIOS math into account.I wish I could post direct settings for you however I do not have time to go through their system good luck..

That could be because you can not exceed 3060 unless QPI is in spec. Make sure QPI Frequency @ 170 BCLOCK is 20x or 3400 too. OR there is a voltage too low.. one or both.Try again.. this time, set CPU VTT to +250mv, DIMM to 1.66v, BCLOCK to 180, QPI Frequency to 3600 or 20x, UCLK Frequency or Uncore Multiplier to 3240 (18x) Memory to 8x or DDR3 1440Vcore or CPU Voltage to somewhere between 1.31 and 1.35See if that works and if so check for load tempsIf it doesnt, set it back to what was working for you.. you can still increase BCLOCK and that will raise UNCORE speed that way.. you are good to 80c in LOAD using REALTEMPAlso, the EVGA BIOS system may be handling things differently Frank. I have not studied it extensively. What I have been suggesting may not work because I am unaware of how their BIOS math works. They may have a calculator posted in one of those threads over there that takes their BIOS math into account.I wish I could post direct settings for you however I do not have time to go through their system good luck..
Hi Nick, did you see my edit at the end of my last post? The QPL data rate is not unlocked with my motherboad and has to be set to 4.8 and it will scale up as the base clock is raised. Setting it manually was meant to be for i965 chip only. I just hope I didn't damage anything. I am stable now at 3.5 ghz. Working my way up. Couple of new questions: 1) I don't have any setting for choosing QPI multiplier in my Bios. How is it that its a varient? 2) why don't we just rely on OCCT's thermal monitor and monitor the temps by real temp?