Sign in to follow this  
Boeing_Driver

How to get layers to show through?

Hello Gents,I've been working with repainting for some time now (using Paint Shop Pro) but I've never really figured out how to get the original details from a texture to show through a new layer.For instance, say you have a blank fuselage texture that has all the panel lines and rivets. If I place a new layer above it, in which the new paint covers the details, how do I get the details to show through without diluting the color of the new paint?Many thanks. :(

...say you have a blank fuselage texture that has all the panel lines and rivets. If I place a new layer above it, in which the new paint covers the details, how do I get the details to show through without diluting the color of the new paint?
Well, all your paint should be below that panel/rivets layer, and the rivets layer's property also should be set as multiply.

Well, all your paint should be below that panel/rivets layer, and the rivets layer's property also should be set as multiply.
Okay, so if my original texture is called "background", I'd place the new layer with the paint below 'background' and set that layer to 'multiply'. Anything else?

Your background texture should be all your details, you should put the layer you paint above the background layer and the paint layer itself being made into a multiply layer will in essence make it see through. Myself when I do paints I usually have a below paint detail layer for all the stuff under the paint, then the paint layer then an above paint layer followed by a decal layer if I put a bunch of lettering etc on the paint.

Zinfandel, you can play with these two different ways of layers blending and decide what is your choice.The ideal is when rivets and panel lines and shades and dirt and whatever are all painted in separate transparent layers, put above all other painting and having normal blending option. This way you can easily get suitable result just changing opacity of corresponding layer. But painting those different layers is a huge work... ;)

Hello Gents,I've been working with repainting for some time now (using Paint Shop Pro) but I've never really figured out how to get the original details from a texture to show through a new layer.For instance, say you have a blank fuselage texture that has all the panel lines and rivets. If I place a new layer above it, in which the new paint covers the details, how do I get the details to show through without diluting the color of the new paint?Many thanks. :(
duplicate the background layer, with all the details, set the copied layer to "multiply" then make your painting layer below that one. should work like a champ.