Sign in to follow this  
misgav

geforce 8600GT with duak monitors

I want to get another monitor. On it i would put a moving map, FMC and VATSIM stuff.My curent video card is Geforce 8600GT 256MB.I was doing a search on the web on its specs to see it supports dual monitors, I got mixed messages- one such below: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113771On the MS site I found a tutorial on how to ascertain that the videocard has dual monitor capabilty.Contol Panel-Display-Display settings, where i only see one monitor(my Samsung Syncamaster 931BF 19").So,1. chicken and egg question. Am I supposed to first get a second monitor, connect it, and then set it up?Or, how do I know if my card is capable of supporting dual monitor in advance?2.Is there some kind of dual outlet hardware I'm supposed to get and plug into the back of my pc?EytanIntel 2Core Duo CPU 400@ 2GHZ2GB RAMGeForce 8600GT 256MBMS Windows XP SP3

Are you using a CRT or LCD monitor. Your card should have two outputs. They may not look alike and you may need an adaptor to hook up two monitors.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I want to get another monitor. On it i would put a moving map, FMC and VATSIM stuff.My curent video card is Geforce 8600GT 256MB.I was doing a search on the web on its specs to see it supports dual monitors, I got mixed messages- one such below: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113771On the MS site I found a tutorial on how to ascertain that the videocard has dual monitor capabilty.Contol Panel-Display-Display settings, where i only see one monitor(my Samsung Syncamaster 931BF 19").So,1. chicken and egg question. Am I supposed to first get a second monitor, connect it, and then set it up?Or, how do I know if my card is capable of supporting dual monitor in advance?2.Is there some kind of dual outlet hardware I'm supposed to get and plug into the back of my pc?EytanIntel 2Core Duo CPU 400@ 2GHZ2GB RAMGeForce 8600GT 256MBMS Windows XP SP3
-----------------------Eytan- does your video card have two ports? If so, you should be in business. You will likely need a small adapter to connect the 2nd monitor, that's all. With the second mon connected, you should see the schematic in Display Settings showing the extra monitor outline. Drag it so it represents the actual physical position vis a vis main mon- ie beside it, above it etc as the case may be. Click on each mon outline and it should describe/specify that mon. Click on each outline and set the resolution you wish. While clicked on #2 mon, at the bottom check "Extend my desktop etc". You now should have one very wide desktop where the mouse cursor can be dragged from far left to extreme right. Not only a huge improvement for simming but very handy to display multiple documents for all sorts of tasks.In FS you can open popups such as FMC or an additional View, then undock them and drag to the 2nd mon where you can resize to suit. Be sure to maintain same FMC height/width proportions or the key buttons may not work correctly.I would encourage you to consider an extra view- very useful.Here is a pic illustrating the possibilities. There is a simple way to synchronize multiple views and blend them into what your eyes see as one very wide scene. Alex ReidPMDG 737 arriving at Victoria BC terminal CYYJ. 6 yr old AMD XP2200 & 2 GeForce FX 5200 cards! CRT main- LCDs outer mons

Eytan- does your video card have two ports?>This link shows the ports?http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=392&type=expertDo I have to open up the back of the pc for this? or is it something that I can look up in the specs?Eytan
--------------------Just look at the outside rear of your 'puter. Follow the cable from your existing monitor to where it plugs in. If there are two plug in ports (side by side) you are in business. The 2nd port will likely be smaller so you will need an adapter to make the connection with a second mon. These are cheap- and you may already have one- an adapter usually comes with a video card. It may well be in the extra bits and pieces that came with your 'puter.Alex Reid